• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FO Wise: There has clearly been a power shift

davos

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

Not disagreeing with you there, but the fact is he picked ALL of those guys, except Cam, who he tossed away initially.  Pretty hard to feel sorry for a guy who spent $60 million and a 2nd round pick to get "his guys".

I find it quite telling that the Panthers in talking about the draft this year have on multiple occasions said "We see CJ Henderson as our third round pick", but I've never once heard anyone say "We see Sam Darnold as our second round pick".

Pretty sure Hurney and Brady were behind the Teddy signing. Darnold may have been Rhule. PJ was 100% Rhule but he's also just a fringe roster guy and hasn't been "the answer" at QB or costing much at all so I don't have much issues with having PJ on the back end of our roster. He was a better backup than Grier anyways.

Really good point on your second paragraph. We already have pretty much known we're done with Sam based on reports all offseason and especially the Watson fiasco, but this definitely is another tell suggesting this is the case. I really suspect come week 1 Darnold won't be on our roster and Baker or Jimmy G will be.

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, there is Matt Rhule literally telling the story about why they got interested in Sam.  It started with Phil Snow.  Then Matt Rhule. 

Sure, he had input, and may even mentioned it  BUT he wasn't even in the room where it happened.  In the end the GM and his team get the QB.  Rhule isn't blameless, but Fitt is not some innocent victim.

It clearly is NOT ALL ON RHULE as Panthers confidential clearly shows.

But you all are going to believe whatever you want regardless...making up shlt.

Edited by poundaway

5 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Show me the evidence that Fitt didn't drive the Darnold trade.  I have video evidence where Fitt is driving it along with his personnel and Rhule isn't even in the room.

"We were sitting there one day on defense, and I can't remember (exactly) what we were watching, we were watching a cut up, and Sam was playing on the other side of the ball, and a couple times he made some throws, and Phil Snow, our defensive coordinator, was like, 'Man, that kid looks like Matt Stafford.' And so, we put a couple games on – and this is the defensive staff -- and they were all like, 'You know what, every game we watch, he makes a couple of big-time plays, and there has to be some meat on the bone there,' " Rhule said. "So, kind of went through the process and kept watching him and going back and watching him in college and watching his pro day and then going back and watching his first year in a different offense and the second year and his third year. When the compensation was enough where we didn't have to give up what we thought was too much that [it] would hurt our team and a chance to get him here, we'd watched so much tape on him that we saw enough shining moments." - https://www.nfl.com/news/matt-rhule-on-why-panthers-didn-t-pick-qb-in-draft-i-just-believe-in-sam-darnold

Pretty clear from this story that Rhule and Snow went to Scott and told him to go after Darnold.

2 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Pretty clear from this story that Rhule and Snow went to Scott and told him to go after Darnold.

And your proof for Elflein, Erving, and CJ Henderson?

Whatever.

Rhule may have suggested it, but its the GM's job to say NO when it is a total crap decision, and Darnold was.

Rhule isn't blameless, but Fitt isn't some innocent child.  If Fitt is, then Fitt is  a mistake.
giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e475bpy2ua43uucw1kfn

4 hours ago, davos said:

Given Tepper's nature, I can definitely see Rhule as some sort of whipping boy right now with Dave blatantly telling him things to his face probably worse than some of the stuff anonymous fans on here write about him.

The very start of the Tepper presser gave me the impression that Rhule was asked to change some things and has followed through (at least on some parts). 

Paraphrased: "I want to thank Matt for assembling a new staff that brings a lot more experience"

I wouldn't be surprised if he was also asked to let Scott do his job.

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, there is Matt Rhule literally telling the story about why they got interested in Sam.  It started with Phil Snow.  Then Matt Rhule. 

Yep. He told the story himself.

Albert Breer confirmed it in his story about how the trade went down.

18 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Sure, he had input, and may even mentioned it  BUT he wasn't even in the room where it happened.  In the end the GM and his team get the QB.  Rhule isn't blameless, but Fitt is not some innocent victim.

It clearly is NOT ALL ON RHULE as Panthers confidential clearly shows.

But you all are going to believe whatever you want regardless...making up shlt.

oh I don't think Fitt is innocent.  I think he has gotten too big of a pass for not stopping stuff he should of. 

But I think Rhule had the power to do what he wanted when Fitt took the job.  I think the walking trainwreck Rhule has been the last year or so has altered the power. 

28 minutes ago, CRA said:

do you humble professional coaches into being good? Or are we just seeing a bad relationship play out. 

We’re watching a bad relationship in real time, my guy.  Just sit back and soak in every step of the way 

Edited by PandaMan
  • Pie 2

16 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Whatever.

Rhule may have suggested it, but its the GM's job to say NO when it is a total crap decision, and Darnold was.

Rhule isn't blameless, but Fitt isn't some innocent child.  If Fitt is, then Fitt is  a mistake.

- You asked for "proof Fitt didn't drive the Darnold trade". Elflein, Erving and CJ aren't relevant to that discussion.

It's been revealed that at the time of the trade Rhule had contractual final roster control. So no, Fitterer couldn't have told him NO.

Again, this is irrelevant to your request for proof that Fitt didn't drive the Darnold trade. Which is what I provided.

• Pie 1