• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How upset were you with the Panthers 1st round pick?

kungfoodude

How upset were you with the Panthers 1st round pick?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How upset were you with the Panthers 1st round pick?

• 0-3
    • 4-6
    • 7-10
    • 11+

6 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I hope he is the LT of the future for us but I agree that his floor SHOULD still be an elite OG. It's nice to have that.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I would've preferred to trade down but I'm not upset at the pick. I don't know that Ekwonu will be the best OL out of this draft but I think he was the safest. Worst case scenario, I think he's a damn good guard. No, that's not what you want at #6 but it sure beats a bust of an OT who can't kick inside.

We picked a very highly rated prospect, at probably our second greatest area of need, that also happens to be a highly valuable position, that's never a bad thing.  

I also agree that you would think his floor is a very good guard, but I also thought the same about Greg Robinson in 2014 so you never know.

Overall it was probably the best decision we could make.  In theory could a trade down might have netted more assets long term, probably, but there is no telling what was really offered.  For a front office and coaching staff that at times seems desperate it was a very sound decision.

• Beer 1

Im happy. I was a Neal fan, but over the draft process I did warm up to Ickey. Neal was like 1 and Ickey was like 1b. 

I listened to the Fittereerrer interview and he said once CBs went back2back, the offers were pulled/going another direction. So no juicey trade back offer was real, you got to make a pick. Smart, athletic, tough at a HUGE position of need/want is FILLED. Panthers turn a negative OL into a positive OL in one off-season, thats nearly impossible. 

• Beer 1

Can't be upset with this pick.  IMO, Neal was the safer pick of an OT that will keep our QB vertical and do his job with the run game.  However, we wouldn't see him at level 2 or 3 making downfield blocks or moving DTs off the line of scrimmage.  What Icky lacks in pass protection can be taught.  Icky has the greatest potential to be special ... which is what we want from #6 pick.  Put Brown next to Icky on goal line and run left all day.

3 minutes ago, tailg8or said:

Can't be upset with this pick.  IMO, Neal was the safer pick of an OT that will keep our QB vertical and do his job with the run game.  However, we wouldn't see him at level 2 or 3 making downfield blocks or moving DTs off the line of scrimmage.  What Icky lacks in pass protection can be taught.  Icky has the greatest potential to be special ... which is what we want from #6 pick.  Put Brown next to Icky on goal line and run left all day.

Icky has what can't be taught, toughness.  You either have or you don't. 

• Beer 1

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Icky has what can't be taught, toughness.  You either have or you don't. 

Agree ... along with the tenacity to complete plays ... which are often completed downfield.  Neal will never have that.  I also like his football IQ ... which you either have or don't.  If he struggles with pass protection initially, he can work with the coaches and figure it out.  He has the potential to be special.  

• Beer 1