• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RA

scratched

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

right. what has Rhule shown as at all in his 2 seasons?

Yes, they get good seasons occasionally off of cast-aways (love Luvu), but the team itself has looked largely the same in both years: fast start, gets figured out, terrible losing slide where coaching staff looks completely overmatched. The defense has been smoke and mirrors, but maybe could be more steady this year (skeptical face)... the offense, though... lol.

meh. We'll see. Hopefully you and I are wrong about Rhule.

I think that the story is already written on Rhule. To think we outbid ourselves on him when the Giants balked. 

Tepper really is the dumbest owner in the NFL. 

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

8 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Based on what, if I may ask? I strongly disagree and feel he's shown minimal capacity to be at the NFL level right now but am open to different perspectives. 

Nobody wants to talk about the Defense that has been built. And nobody wants to talk about the fact he has had no QB or line play since he has been here. Also, until either CMC stays healthy or we move on, we have had no RB play. And not to mention we were blind-sided with the retirement of Kuechly. You can't build a playoff team from scratch in 1 or 2 years, it's just not gonna happen. This year will be a very telling year. We have a MUCH BETTER STAFF, top to bottom. We have made moves to shore up the OL. And if we are able to upgrade at QB, or get something we haven't seen outta Darnold, maybe some confidence can then be built in Rhule.  If not, we fire him, and move on with a new coach and QB of that coaches desire. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I think Robby has more value than we think. He was bad last year, yes. But the dude put up 1000 yards with Teddy B and had some really good years with the Jets' trash QBs. I think he could go to KC or GB with those QBs and offenses and put up 1200+ yards. A trade with one of those teams makes a lot of sense for both sides after neither got any WRs yesterday.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

I think Robby has more value than we think. He was bad last year, yes. But the dude put up 1000 yards with Teddy B and had some really good years with the Jets' trash QBs. I think he could go to KC or GB with those QBs and offenses and put up 1200+ yards. A trade with one of those teams makes a lot of sense for both sides after neither got any WRs yesterday.

He would the WR1 right now on the Packers, Chiefs or the Ravens. With the 49ers and Seahawks seemingly holding on to Deebo and Metcalf who else is out there for those teams to target that are in win now mode?

• Beer 1

35 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Trading Robby for a pick tonight is my goal. Trading Robby for a pick used on Sam Howell is my ideal scenario. Either way, I'm trying to move Robby tonight.

Why do you have goals for a team you don’t follow?  Asking for a friend…

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

right. what has Rhule shown as at all in his 2 seasons?

Yes, they get good seasons occasionally off of cast-aways (love Luvu), but the team itself has looked largely the same in both years: fast start, gets figured out, terrible losing slide where coaching staff looks completely overmatched. The defense has been smoke and mirrors, but maybe could be more steady this year (skeptical face)... the offense, though... lol.

meh. We'll see. Hopefully you and I are wrong about Rhule.

If this off-season is any indication the FO is trying to be set up so Rhule can just concentrate on coaching. 
We’ll see how well it works out. 

14 minutes ago, scratched said:

Nobody wants to talk about the Defense that has been built. And nobody wants to talk about the fact he has had no QB or line play since he has been here. Also, until either CMC stays healthy or we move on, we have had no RB play. And not to mention we were blind-sided with the retirement of Kuechly. You can't build a playoff team from scratch in 1 or 2 years, it's just not gonna happen. This year will be a very telling year. We have a MUCH BETTER STAFF, top to bottom. We have made moves to shore up the OL. And if we are able to upgrade at QB, or get something we haven't seen outta Darnold, maybe some confidence can then be built in Rhule.  If not, we fire him, and move on with a new coach and QB of that coaches desire. 

Thanks for your thoughts. We are indeed on opposite sides of the fence with a lot of them.

I said this in another post that the defense feasted on rookie QBs and poor play for the first weeks and was then summarily figured out and exposed week in and week out following the Dallas game - this defense is average at best and no players have shown development under Rhule, with guys like Brown even regressing. They were middle of the pack in points per game even with the yardage rankings looking 'good'.

Regarding offense, the bigger issue is that he has zero strategic ability. How many games last year did we see Carolina drive and score on the opening drive, stall out for a drive or two thereafter, and then get hammered the rest of the game? Rhule has shown no ability to adapt or even scheme differently.

Regarding the staff, I fully believe that Rhule was voluntold to hire NFL-caliber coaches or else he'd be fired; his lack of appearance this offseason speaks volumes IMO. Based on his lack of development as a coach these first two years I don't suddenly see him deciding, 'Oh yeah, maybe NFL coaches are a good thing after all."

Regarding the moves, it also speaks volumes to me that Fitterer has been the face of the offseason. I think Rhule has lost influence/power and that this is largely the stamp of actual NFL people; we saw Rhule and his 'versatility' last year with Temple/Baylor alums galore the offseason before, we see Fitterer and Morgan with actual NFL experience this offseason. 

I agree with you last statement that if he sucks again, he is hopefully gone. I'll fully accept the reality if he turn sit around but I'm not too concerned about needing to eat my words, and even if the team does improve I simply can't give him much credit for it after the last 2 seasons. 

16 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Thanks for your thoughts. We are indeed on opposite sides of the fence with a lot of them.

I said this in another post that the defense feasted on rookie QBs and poor play for the first weeks and was then summarily figured out and exposed week in and week out following the Dallas game - this defense is average at best and no players have shown development under Rhule, with guys like Brown even regressing. They were middle of the pack in points per game even with the yardage rankings looking 'good'.

Regarding offense, the bigger issue is that he has zero strategic ability. How many games last year did we see Carolina drive and score on the opening drive, stall out for a drive or two thereafter, and then get hammered the rest of the game? Rhule has shown no ability to adapt or even scheme differently.

Regarding the staff, I fully believe that Rhule was voluntold to hire NFL-caliber coaches or else he'd be fired; his lack of appearance this offseason speaks volumes IMO. Based on his lack of development as a coach these first two years I don't suddenly see him deciding, 'Oh yeah, maybe NFL coaches are a good thing after all."

Regarding the moves, it also speaks volumes to me that Fitterer has been the face of the offseason. I think Rhule has lost influence/power and that this is largely the stamp of actual NFL people; we saw Rhule and his 'versatility' last year with Temple/Baylor alums galore the offseason before, we see Fitterer and Morgan with actual NFL experience this offseason. 

I agree with you last statement that if he sucks again, he is hopefully gone. I'll fully accept the reality if he turn sit around but I'm not too concerned about needing to eat my words, and even if the team does improve I simply can't give him much credit for it after the last 2 seasons. 

Why would you think any GM would keep a coach around that he knew sucked? It just isn't gonna happen. And for me to believe upper mgmt went to Rhule and said hire these guys, and sit back and shut up, is just delusional. I am more of the belief Rhule is adjusting to how to coach in the NFL, which easy isnt for every good college coach, and has swallowed a little pride. But time will tell, and I think we both can agree we just want the PANTHERS to be relevant!

Edited by scratched

14 minutes ago, scratched said:

Why would you think any GM would keep a coach around that he knew sucked? It just isn't gonna happen. And for me to believe upper mgmt went to Rhule and said hire these guys, and sit back and shut up, is just delusional. I am more of the belief Rhule is adjusting to how to coach in the NFL, which easy isnt for every good college coach, and has swallowed a little pride. But time will tell, and I think we both can agree we just want the PANTHERS to be relevant!

Becaue it's not the GM making the decision, it's Tepper. Rhule suddenly reporting to Fitterer instead of Tepper would be a huge power shift and while I do think Rhule's influence has diminished, I don't think it's been that extreme/official. 

Rhule's college experience/success is/was way oversold IMO, as he never spent enough time anywhere to prove he could sustain success and he never beat real competition. His hype at the time was a major reach and the Giants refusing to give him total control, if that story is accurate, sure seems like it was the right move. I just have no idea what Rhule himself brings to the table at this point.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Trading Robby for a pick tonight is my goal. Trading Robby for a pick used on Sam Howell is my ideal scenario. Either way, I'm trying to move Robby tonight.

Huh.  Robby for a pick that nets us a QB would actually be a good deal.  I hope it happens.  It will also solidify for us in the fan base who is really pulling the strings on roster.  I don't see any way Rhule trades away his boy Robby, but I could see Fitts doing it.