• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 Pick 94: Panthers Select Matt Corral - QB Ole Miss

Ricky Spanish

At first I was a little unsure about trading next years 3rd, but it’s not like our 4th was a handful of picks away.  It was an end of round comp pick, so it was almost in the 5th round.  No certainty that Corral or Howell would be there with that pick.

Seems like good value here and a better prospect than will Grier.  I’m just glad they finally drafted someone.  Nobody’s winning Super Bowls with mediocre to bad cast offs at QB.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, CRA said:

Felt like Fitt even read the room and added a don’t forget about Rhule handout.  Everyone we had Matt call Bill with what we wanted and he didn’t fold.  Good job Matt.  Matt can do things! 

Yup.  I sensed that too.  Very awkward moment.

• Beer 1

I would have rather not given up a future pick  but honestly I thought he would go late first early second so I like the pick.  We needed a  LT and QB and both position groups fell into our laps. I would draft a QB next year regardless of what plays out this season. We need to keep drafting  OL DL and QB and make those all areas of strength. 

After sleeping on it, I came to the same conclusion I had last night: I don’t have a problem with the move.  Teams have 2 or 3 QB slots on their roster.  Before tonight, we had 2.  One is filled by a guy who is right now a marginal backup, at best, the other is filled by a guy who should not be on an NFL roster.  Maybe both fall into the latter category.  Neither of them is under contract after 2022 (luckily).  We just filled one slot.

I don’t know if Corral is the answer as an eventual starter, but I also have my doubts that any QB in this year’s draft is the answer to that, at least without a lot of work and luck.  That makes me happy they did this late in the third round instead of trying to do it earlier and selling the farm.  The fourth would have been better, but the fact that QBs were starting to disappear and the fact that waited until round three provided the opportunity.

I get the point that we should put the kibosh on trying to paint over the self-inflicted wounds of trading our entire day two slate of picks and just eat the poison pill we created.  Philosophically, I agree.  But that would have left the door further open for something stupid to happen with Mayfield or some other vet.  It is still not closed, but it is not as wide-open as it was.

As for Rhule, he probably is salty at the idea of drafting a QB instead of trading for somebody who has NFL experience.  I’m not convinced his seat is as hot as the Huddle collectively thinks (only Tepper knows), but it is hard to paper over his past mistakes when he can’t take his third swing at a vet and “instant success” in three years.

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Watching Corrals zoom interview with Kristen Balboni, he doesn't even mention Rhule when talking about his top 30 visit. Just Tepper and Fitt. 

I haven't got to see his interview yet, but I read the transcript, and yeah, it seemed like the same thing there...  and again, watching the pressers both nights so far, Rhule just seems out of place.  It's clear there has been a HUGE shift.

• Beer 1