• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 Pick 94: Panthers Select Matt Corral - QB Ole Miss

Ricky Spanish

Just now, RJK said:

What traits tell you this guy could start at QB in the nfl? His release? That it? 

He's a tough study because his college offense was so gimmicky. That could be because Kiffin saw limitations in his game, but more likely it's just how Kiffin runs his offense. His arm is solid and he's a legitimate dual threat. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, TANTRIC-NINJA said:

I would totally understand this move for Malik or S Nick Cross.  I think one of Sam Howell or Matt Corral would have been there in the 4th but we had to shoot our wad for a potential trainwreck. 

I dont think he would have been, there would have been at least 6 oportunuties for QB needy teams to draft him before we even got a chance to take our pick. We hopped it with a trusted trade partner. 

• Pie 2

18 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

We traded our 4th this year and 3rd next to get him.

I thought we weren't giving up any picks next year 1-3.  The lie detector test has determined, THAT WAS A LIE!  Of course, not surprised.

Well in my opinion, that was too much.  They could have just sat tight, and let any of those guys drop to our fourth, and that would have sufficed.  Matt Coral, Sam Howell, who cares.  Actually, the only QB worth drafting in this class was Carson Strong.  I guess there are more questions on his knee than we realized.  Overall, this pick is disappointing to me because it shows this staff desperation.  Yeah, you might be fired after this year if you suck, but you brought that on yourself.  As a fan, I can't get excited about this.

Edited by Matthias
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 3

3 minutes ago, RJK said:

What traits tell you this guy could start at QB in the nfl? His release? That it? 

Corral is a 4th year Junior who pulls the trigger for the Rebel offense. He shows good athleticism when maneuvering outside of the pocket. In the run game, he can convert critical third downs with his legs but clearly wants to deliver it from the pocket if he can. He did a much better job in 2021 of discerning when to use his legs. Defenses must account for him in the zone-read aspect of the game, as he demonstrates the ability to “pull it” from the mesh and threaten the defense. In the passing game, he is highly effective and productive in Ole Miss’ offense. He’s led a high-powered Rebel offense in 2021 while completing 68% of his passes en route to throwing for 3,333 yards and 20 TDs. However, the area he has shown the most growth in is his ability to take care of the football. He eliminated the multi-turnover games that plagued him in 2020, only accounting for four interceptions to date. Hes demonstrates situational awareness over the course of the game with regard to time and score. He throws with pinpoint accuracy between the numbers and in short-to-intermediate situations. While some cold-weather teams may have reservations about his ability to drive it down the field with his sufficient-level arm strength, overall, he has proven this year that he could have success in an offense with NFL concepts

Edited by SgtJoo
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • The D 1