• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 Pick 94: Panthers Select Matt Corral - QB Ole Miss

Ricky Spanish

Just now, Panthers Rhule said:

It was just the first example I found of someone saying he has an elite arm. But as I said above, I apologize if I've made you mad. I regress. Please continue thrashing the kid. 

I don’t hate the kid…. Not to mention me thinking the kid may not work out has no bearing on if he does or not. He’s making millions and we’re sitting here talking about him.

I like to talk about football and that’s why I’m here. It has nothing to do with Corral. I hope he does well I just have my concerns.

Like others around here, I’m not going to damn the kid to hell because I have concerns about his play.

Just now, MillionDollarCam said:

Why are we here if we are just going to wait to see how he does? Shut down the board and let’s all meet at BofA for a prayer circle if we can’t have disagreements about the team.

I can dislike the pick and not hate the kid (which I don’t). I will also pull for him and I hope he succeeds. If he does, I’ll be the first to say I was wrong.

You know conversation is good and I have had many with someone who I disagreed with but they always come with facts.   You are only speculating and have No Clue one way or the other whether he's going to be Tua or Elway.

You base your entire statement off a player from a different system.  Our GM and coach think he is the best player for this team, especially in this round. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I think his arm strength is ordinary for the NFL as in not out of place. What I’ve been saying is that all the QB’s that excel in a heavy RPO system have cannons (Mahomes, Allen, and Herbert).

If the Panthers don’t coach the kid up and instead tailor the offense to him then I don’t think he’ll have a successful career. The QB’s that are running RPO’s right now are just built different than Corral.

Yeah good point. I think we cater an offense to fit his strengths. McAdoo likes the WCO. So I can see a lot of quick reads/passes with a few RPOs mixed in there. I would not want him running too much either as he doesn’t have the frame of a Josh Allen or Cam Newton. 

47 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I think Corral is a solid athlete. Not Mahomes or Allen, slightly behind Herbert but better than Tua. The issue is he isn’t durable (like Tua).

And Corral has great ARM TALENT… as in he can make most of the NFL throws and has good touch as a well as an elite release… he does not have ELITE ARM STRENGTH. I watched the Willis and Corral game live in person and I could verify with my own eyes that he had a decent amount of under throws.

I think that is fair, very few QBs have those three's kind of arm talent, but I don't think that is the end all be all. Jay Cutler had the cannon of cannon and had a mediocre career, while Matt Ryan won and MVP and almost a super bowl with neither. 

I am not trying to endorse him, but I do have hope for him and think he can plan out to something. If he doesn't, that is fine. If we are in a position next year to take a top 2 QB off the board then we will regardless I think.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

We didn't get Willis, man. Move on. Cam's not coming back, move on. We have a chance to have someone beat out Sam, be happy. Don't be like the Cam Haters (that'd be me) for years who ruin game day threads. Give the kid a try.

I literally just said I’m giving the kid a try… that doesn’t mean I can’t have concerns with his game… you can have concerns with Willis and I can’t have concerns with Corral? Just like if we’d have drafted Willis your concerns wouldn’t disappear… mine don’t just because we drafted Corral.

Just to fill in this fact- Next year panthers are ALready negative 5,000,000 in the red for cap space. Until Corral pick they had no QB on the books for the 2023 season. Still up for Minshew, Baker, or JimmyG alllllllllll of them only have one year contact and would be FAs next season as well. 3rd round salary is next to nothing in NFL salaries. 

Im a sucka for low risk high reward type of moves and future 3rd for the decent shot at a long-term answer at QB? Bravo Bravo Bravobravo GIF

3 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You know conversation is good and I have had many with someone who I disagreed with but they always come with facts.   You are only speculating and have No Clue one way or the other whether he's going to be Tua or Elway.

You base your entire statement off a player from a different system.  Our GM and coach think he is the best player for this team, especially in this round. 

I mean all players have some sort of trait in common. There’s very few players who come into the NFL that are so unique that they go above the norms of football. So yes I use my research to relate Corral to other situations in the NFL. Those situations aren’t necessarily flattering for him. It doesn’t damn to the QB cellar though. It’s an opinion, one that I can have. I welcome other opinions.