• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 Pick 94: Panthers Select Matt Corral - QB Ole Miss

Ricky Spanish

1 hour ago, philit99 said:

It takes 2-3 years to groom a NFL QB. Cam Newton did not have a winning season until season 3. That is our biggest issue, we are still a ways away.

Of course they are.

This season is a turning point for the team. While this appears to be a good draft for us it doesn't mean everything is going to magically be gold.

They will need to add another QB after next next season whether Corral starts or not. Because Sam Darnold would have to completely transform himself into Josh Allen stay here. And for the love of football draft someone to invest in for the future beyond the current group. I don't care what Fitterer said the future is not on the roster until he shows it on the field. 

I would love to see some forward thinking in BOA for once. Is that too much to ask?

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah, people here are so used to us not even taking shots at QB's in the draft that it's getting a little blown out of proportion, also with Darnold sucking and all the FA QB whiffs in general it's got people on edge. In Fitts presser about Corral I think he was trying to slow things down, and basically get back on track with a realistic way of grooming a QB. Corral at the same time is a competitor and he's not gonna hold back on trying to beat Darnold out of the job, so that's great even if he's a bust. Darnold had it too easy last offseason. 

The level of coddling for Darnold was fuging absurd.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

That really shouldn't happen. As a 3rd rounder, his expectation should be solid backup QB. Expecting more than that is unfair(see Grier, Will). 

Anything more than that just means it was a better and better draft pick.

Our staff had a day one grade on him. They are expecting more than a backup out of him.  I’m not saying they are right, but I expect him to replace Sam before the season is over because Sam might not even be a solid backup.

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Our staff had a day one grade on him. They are expecting more than a backup out of him.  I’m not saying they are right, but I expect him to replace Sam before the season is over because Sam might not even be a solid backup.

fug it for where they got him and for where this team is I wish they would just roll him out there week 1 come hell or high water.   What’s the point of starting darnold now when we all know what inevitably is going to happen?

I think with a qb like corral we are going to see almost immediately if he has what it takes.  If he can execute going from rpo to a nfl offense then we may be in business and him getting reps is the best path forward.   If the transition is too much then fug it draft someone again next year.  Our sunk cost in him is pretty marginalized at this point.  

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, glenwo2 said:

Once again, I feel like I should apologize for even participating in that s--t.  🤦‍♂️

Its ok for fans to be optimistic about a player like Sam Darnold, but the real issue was the coaching staff making him the sole heir to the QB position for absolutely no reason.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

fug it for where they got him and for where this team is I wish they would just roll him out there week 1 come hell or high water.   What’s the point of starting darnold now when we all know what inevitably is going to happen?

I think with a qb like corral we are going to see almost immediately if he has what it takes.  If he can execute going from rpo to a nfl offense then we may be in business and him getting reps is the best path forward.   If the transition is too much then fug it draft someone again next year.  Our sunk cost in him is pretty marginalized at this point.  

I get where you are coming from and there are definitely two theories on developing these young QBs. One being what you are saying and throw them out there and let them learn as they develop because our team isn’t going to be a playoff team as it sits with Darnold. The other is to sit back and let them learn the mental aspect of the game. Let our new OL gel and learn to play together for a 5-8 weeks or so while bringing in Corral for a couple plays here and there to learn the speed of the game and then play him when our team is more stable and he is more ready mentally. 
Also if we have a top 5 pick and Corral hasn’t had much playing time, a 3rd round QB shouldn’t stop us from drafting our guy next year. Let Corral develop in a great backup with upside or even trade him. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That phrase still makes me cringe (PTSD) 😖

It's a different staff now though, so I probably shouldn't.

It’s not that bad really. If Detroit took him at 32 (day one), I don’t think people would call it a reach. Simms had a late 1st/early 2nd grade on him. 

I’m not reading through 35 pages. Most posts have been positive, as they should, but honestly not surprised some of you morons don’t like the pick. 

He was one of the last picks of the third round. Complete low risk/high reward move. It really shouldn’t be that hard to figure out. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1