• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 Pick 94: Panthers Select Matt Corral - QB Ole Miss

Ricky Spanish

I like Corral. I really want him to win the job, and be our QB for the next 15 years

I hate Ole Miss (Hail State!), but I root for kids that either come from, or played in the great state of Mississippi

Edited by AggieLean
  • Pie 2

42 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

3rd round QBs seldomly work out to be starters, period.  If he does, great!  We got a steal.  I'm not holding my breath, though, and that is my entire point.  By the way, Hurney was said to have a 1st round grade on Grier.  Poo it all you want, but our GM at the time thought he had a steal too.

In summary: if Corral ends up QB1, freaking awesome! If Corral busts or peaks out as a QB2, it was to be expected.

I never saw anything that said Hurney had a first round grade on Grid, but whatever...it was cokehead Hurney. 

You're not comparing players. You're comparing draft spots. Again, that's just not a good comparison.

Again... whatever. Having watched both guys, Corral has/had a lot more to offer. 

Draft position doesn't mean poo. What they do and are capable of doing on the field and if it can translate to the pros is all that matters. You either watch or you make assumptions. I watched. I watched most of the guys that were in contention for being drafted at QB this year (thanks to long haul covid I had a lot of time on my hands) and what I saw from Corral I really liked. He wasn't perfect by any means, but what I saw was a guy who was tough and fought hard, had a short memory when he made mistakes, who made things happen when things broke down, and whose talent he brings to the table can easily be translated to the pros. 

The guy does a good job of scanning the field, taking advantage of what the defense gives him. He's not a gun slinger, imo, which is fine because even though he's got a cannon he's not as accurate, but in the short/intermediate game he's super accurate and man is he quick getting that ball out. As a runner he's tough, but he also knows how and when to slide (which is something Cam wasn't so good at as a rookie). He's great at hitting players in stride and he's great throwing on the scramble. I mean there's so much I liked about his game and he's exciting to watch. He's easily better than Sammy (which the bar isn't set really high) and I'm hoping that we do a good job of building the offense around him and getting him ready. With MacAdoo running the offense, I'm sure we can get that done. 

He's super quick and decisive. If you want to run a fast super uptempo offense, this is the kind of guy you want. On two minute drills, he's the kind of guy you want. On short yardage plays, with his legs, he's the kind of guy you want. What I saw and heard about him in getting the players charged up, especially on important plays and situations, this guy is the type guy you want. He's a natural on RPO and read option and play action. He's smooth in those type plays....very Cam-like.

Seriously, I like him. He's not as good as Cam by any means, but he can bring a lot of the same type things.

Basically, Matt Corrall can make watching the panther offense fun again.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

53 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Bingo. 

So people need to understand this in the event that Corral doesn't become more than a backup and not freak out on the kid. Have REASONABLE expectations. If he exceeds them, amazing. If he doesn't, that's fine too. 

I see that and get it, but what I see gives a lot of room for optimism...and not the forced kind that I tried to have with Sammy.

If he doesn't pan out, fine....then we swing again. 

Corral is the QB I was hoping for going into the draft, so I was sold on him already. I mean I wanted either Icky or Neal or some top LT because I 1) thought the talent better and 2) thought the need was more important to address, but I would have been ok him getting drafted in the first, especially over the other QB options just based on his potential/ceiling and ability to reach that potential I saw.

24 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I never saw anything that said Hurney had a first round grade on Grid, but whatever...it was cokehead Hurney. 

You're not comparing players. You're comparing draft spots. Again, that's just not a good comparison.

Again... whatever. Having watched both guys, Corral has/had a lot more to offer. 

Draft position doesn't mean poo. What they do and are capable of doing on the field and if it can translate to the pros is all that matters. You either watch or you make assumptions. I watched. I watched most of the guys that were in contention for being drafted at QB this year (thanks to long haul covid I had a lot of time on my hands) and what I saw from Corral I really liked. He wasn't perfect by any means, but what I saw was a guy who was tough and fought hard, had a short memory when he made mistakes, who made things happen when things broke down, and whose talent he brings to the table can easily be translated to the pros. 

The guy does a good job of scanning the field, taking advantage of what the defense gives him. He's not a gun slinger, imo, which is fine because even though he's got a cannon he's not as accurate, but in the short/intermediate game he's super accurate and man is he quick getting that ball out. As a runner he's tough, but he also knows how and when to slide (which is something Cam wasn't so good at as a rookie). He's great at hitting players in stride and he's great throwing on the scramble. I mean there's so much I liked about his game and he's exciting to watch. He's easily better than Sammy (which the bar isn't set really high) and I'm hoping that we do a good job of building the offense around him and getting him ready. With MacAdoo running the offense, I'm sure we can get that done. 

He's super quick and decisive. If you want to run a fast super uptempo offense, this is the kind of guy you want. On two minute drills, he's the kind of guy you want. On short yardage plays, with his legs, he's the kind of guy you want. What I saw and heard about him in getting the players charged up, especially on important plays and situations, this guy is the type guy you want. He's a natural on RPO and read option and play action. He's smooth in those type plays....very Cam-like.

Seriously, I like him. He's not as good as Cam by any means, but he can bring a lot of the same type things.

Basically, Matt Corrall can make watching the panther offense fun again.

Also people need to chill about his size. he's up 7 pounds from last year and basically identical measurements to Lamar Jackson. I don't want him to run that much obviously, but he can take some hits. The ankle stuff can happen to anyone

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Also people need to chill about his size. he's up 7 pounds from last year and basically identical measurements to Lamar Jackson. I don't want him to run that much obviously, but he can take some hits. The ankle stuff can happen to anyone

True and he got hurt scrambling in the pocket. 

He does take on defenders a good bit and I'm not crazy about that, but like I said he's also good about sliding and I'd like to see a lot more of that when he takes off running. 

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

True and he got hurt scrambling in the pocket. 

He does take on defenders a good bit and I'm not crazy about that, but like I said he's also good about sliding and I'd like to see a lot more of that when he takes off running. 

Yeah I agree, don't mind the runs but he needs to slide or run out of bounds more often than lowering that shoulder. 

• Beer 1

Corral dropped because of character concerns. His physical traits are there to become a starter. Grier went in the 3rd because he was physically limited but had good enough character for us to use a 3rd on him. That’s the main difference IMO. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, AggieLean said:

I like Corral. I really want him to win the job, and be our QB for the next 15 years

I hate Ole Miss (Hail State!), but I root for kids that either come from, or played in the great state of Mississippi

With a name like that, figured you'd be a fan of the other maroon SECw school. Hail State!

• Beer 1

I think McAdoo probably had some influence in the pick. Corrals the best guy in the class to run his style of quick throws for YAC, and add in RPO's with CMC. Corrals biggest problem is the opposite of Darnold, when he misses he's usually getting the ball out too quick and that's easier to fix than having a guy that can't process fast enough. Watching some of his film from last year his team fuging sucked and he basically willed them to that record running so much. When he had Elijah Moore the throws looked a lot better and we got DJ for that

• Beer 1

On 4/30/2022 at 6:44 AM, DaveThePanther2008 said:

@RJK

@shaq

@Sean Payton's Vicodin

@Matthias

@MillionDollarCam

@4Corners Not surprised

@Centerfield

Why can't any of you be positive just for once.   

I wasn't a fan of his, no specific reason, but I am 100% on board.  Go watch the Chris Simm's video.  He's a lot smarter than most of us when it comes to QB. 

Can't you at least wait until 1 OTA before you start trashing him.

What I find funny other than one or two of you.  You offer no real reason other than to hate.

If you dislike this team so much go to another #$%$#%$^$@@#  Team. 

Bingo!!! You nailed it.