• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 Pick 94: Panthers Select Matt Corral - QB Ole Miss

Ricky Spanish

Matt Corral is a decent prospect with upside. Ok, he’s not seen as a generational passer, but there’s talent there to work with. Maybe he can be our Dak Prescott?

It would be nice to think we get a legitimate starting QB on a third round pay scale.

Hopefully there is an open competition this off season and Corral can beat out Darnold for the starting job, or he can light a fire under Darnold’s backside to make him play better.

16 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I'm glad you made me wrong and stuck around. Sadly, I don't think it is going to go well for you.

Welcome to Jets 2.0.

LOL!   I know I shouldn't laugh but I guess I'm laughing at the absurdity of it all.

• Beer 1

15 hours ago, amcoolio said:

Game winner against Arkansas...he scans the field patiently despite pressure and throws a nice pass to the wide open guy for the winning TD

I also look at the rest of the vid.   He seems to be adept at the short passes and he's definitely waaaaay more accurate at the Deep Ball than Sam Delusional.   

Only saw a handful of medium-range throws there, though.

And his propensity for running(which he's pretty good at)...well...somebody should give him the video of Sam getting decapitated straight into oblivion..as sort of a pick-your-spots advice.   Just saying...

14 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's really difficult to be worse. Darnold is a natural panicker and I don't think that can be fixed.

No it can't.   I bet he was a panicker in College, too.

9 hours ago, rayzor said:

It's not like he's some Will Grier scrub.

No I agree.  And it’s not a bad pick.  Don’t get me wrong I’m happy we took him.  I like the pick.

Im more remarking at the “er muh gerd he’s gunna bust” crowd.

If he contributes positively in anyway it’s a win.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

No I agree.  And it’s not a bad pick.  Don’t get me wrong I’m happy we took him.  I like the pick.

Based on the vid, he's already better than Sam Delusional so it's a win from the start.

9 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

This is how the kids feel, Tepper knows it

Can't blame him.

I'd boo Sam Delusional as well.

He also must've read/heard about the Podcast (and what he said) he was on like I have. 

4 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

true. at the very least he gives us a better backup option than we've had since DA. 

I think just because of having CMC healthy (for a while) and an upgraded OL, sammy will look better. hopefully not enough to justify rhule keeping Corral on the sidelines. I just don't trust Rhule and if Corral doesn't get a shot in play time, I'm not going to necessarily hold it against Corral. 

I'm hoping that Corral just blows the doors off in TC. Sammy's problem, though, isn't exactly practicing. It's what happens when the pressure is on in games when live bullets are flying. 

15 minutes ago, rayzor said:

true. at the very least he gives us a better backup option than we've had since DA. 

I think just because of having CMC healthy (for a while) and an upgraded OL, sammy will look better. hopefully not enough to justify rhule keeping Corral on the sidelines. I just don't trust Rhule and if Corral doesn't get a shot in play time, I'm not going to necessarily hold it against Corral. 

I'm hoping that Corral just blows the doors off in TC. Sammy's problem, though, isn't exactly practicing. It's what happens when the pressure is on in games when live bullets are flying. 

Unfortunately, what is good for Sam, what is good for Rhule and what is good for the Panthers are all completely different answers.

• Pie 4

18 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

Unfortunately, what is good for Sam, what is good for Rhule and what is good for the Panthers are all completely different answers.

Which is really going to make it difficult to find out what we've got in Corral.

• Pie 1

I've been doing a deep dive into Corral all weekend reviewing scouting reports and film studies on him. 

The potential is there. His quick release and arm strength are definitely NFL caliber, and he is fearless standing in the pocket. 

However the more I see the more I notice his lack of consistency throwing mid/deep. He is definitely best suited for a WC/horizontal style offense built around quick reads and getting the ball into playmaker's hands quickly. 

He does not see the whole field well and comes off receivers too early too often. A lot of the time If they aren't open when he sees them, he will look off them even if they are about to clear a zone/can be thrown open if he throws to a spot. That is concerning, but can he learn to make those reads and how quickly can he do it? How much of that was Kiffin's scheme where he was throwing to a guy no matter what?

Overall, he was drafted about where he should have been. I'm less high on him as I was on Friday, and don't anticipate him beating Sam out in TC. He's a work in progress definitely.

Hoping for the best but prepared to have a backup QB for the next 4 years.   

• Pie 1

On 4/30/2022 at 11:55 AM, CPantherKing said:

Athlete. YES

Passer. YES

Clutch. YES

He doesn't show the leadership qualities to command a championship team. Easily antagonized and cocky. Not good at sitting and learning. 

Personality wise (using Panthers comps) he is a cross between Steve Smith, Rae Carruth, and Greg Hardy.

Anger management issues, narcissistic, resistant to authority figures, highly competitive, dominant when winning, destructive when losing, and business/self-interest minded. He will succeed in a player led culture that allows for freedom of expression, lack of structure, and loose discipline. Bret Michaels management team and Corral's Mom control his image/PR.

He is in a relationship with Raine Michaels

Bret Michaels and David Tepper have a relationship going back to their days with the Steelers.

This is a David Tepper pick.

He will need a couple handlers early in his career.

Well.  We get to enjoy this for the next couple years. 

Raine Michaels

image.thumb.jpeg.afbb24f7c583dc7f10f9fb5872bfcd96.jpeg

• The D 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Which is really going to make it difficult to find out what we've got in Corral.

Trying to analyze this team at all will be a nightmare.  Unless there is enough good coaching on the staff now to mitigate Rhule's dumbass.

• Pie 1