• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If only there was an available RPO expert QB to mentor Corral....

Zod

17 minutes ago, Zod said:

Cam mentoring this young man in an rpo makes too much sense. 

Won't happen unfortunately because we have Sam sitting here taking Cams roster spot. Need to lose Sam to let Cam mentor him I think. I'd much rather go Cam, Coral, PJ instead of the Sam, Coral, PJ we currently have on paper but I don't see a way of getting rid of Sam at this point since we brilliantly picked up that fifth year option and I don't know a single team that would take him paying that kind of money for the type of production we saw last year from him.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

Just now, YourLastThought said:

Won't happen unfortunately because we have Sam sitting here taking Cams roster spot. Need to lose Sam to let Cam mentor him I think. I'd much rather go Cam, Coral, PJ instead of the Sam, Coral, PJ we currently have on paper but I don't see a way of getting rid of Sam at this point since we brilliantly picked up that fifth year option and I don't know a single team that would take him paying that kind of money for the type of production we saw last year from him.

We could cut Sam and eat the $18m

• Pie 4
  • Poo 1

2 minutes ago, FugginPoo said:

We could cut Sam and eat the $18m

I would love to but man that's a lot of money to eat with the 18m and then we would need to pay Cam. He won't command major money but he will still be paid more than vet minimum of course. Unfortunately I don't think we even move Sam due to the comments Tepper made last week about him still believing he is a good quarterback and can be the future blah blah blah. It almost feels like we are stuck between Tapper and Rhule's hard heads and Sam's fifth year option pay.

22 minutes ago, Zod said:

Cam mentoring this young man in an rpo makes too much sense. 

I love Cam and that shoulder might be good for a few few games

id pay to see him a million times  over  vs  freaking Darnold 

i don’t think Cam would do it though  

He was pretty outspoken (for him anyway) about wanting to play for a winner   I’m not sure what Rhule brings represents that and I don’t know how the OC feels about Cam 

my wish for him is retirement   too many hits for too long and physically, Corral looks like a teen age standing next to him   I’m not sure they are the same in RPO approach 

• Beer 1

If Corral tries to play like Cam in the NFL his career is going to be very short. Cam was the exception and not the rule. If he wants to stick around longer than his rookie deal in the NFL then he needs to play a different kind of ball. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 6
  • Beer 1

1. You can’t run RPO’s as often or in the same manner as Corral did in college in the NFL

2. Corral doesn’t need a Cam to teach him anything - this is coming from a Cam truther. He learned from one of the best offensive minds in CFB right now in Lane Kiffin

3. If I’m not mistaken, McAdoo runs a west coast scheme that can work in conjunction with RPOs, but doesn’t need to rely on them (see Giants 2014 season)

• Pie 3

I wouldn't hate it, in fact if Cam is in the league it should be in a Carolina jersey, but I don't know how necessary it is because Corrall's naturally very good at it anyways. 

The second thing I liked about him was watching him run the option. It was very Cam-like....very fluid. Cam was a master at it, especially working with CMC it was a work of art. With Sam, it was just awkward. Sam just doesn't have it. 

I loved watching us run the option. It was exciting to watch, especially with a QB who can run like Cam. I think Matt Corrall is the most Cam-like QB we could have asked for of the options we had. I don't think he'll be as good, but Cam at his best was the GOAT. Corrall will have the benefit of having MacAdoo who will open a lot more things up for him. Better system, better offense, better coaching (not figuring Rhule in that). I think he'll do well and he'll make it fun to watch the QB again.

And btw.... I'd be ready for some triple option up in here. 

• Pie 1

Should have Rivera coach the kid.

People need to differentiate between the spread and RPO. You run the RPO out of the spread but they aren’t the same concept.

Cam played in a Spread offense at Auburn but the RPO was rarely run out of Chizik’s offense. In reality Rivera used Chizik’s spread offense but added the RPO concept. The RPO concept blew up in 2012 when Cam, Wilson, Kaepernick, and RGIII torched the NFL with the RPO. Since then the RPO has been more successfully defended against and drafting a QB from a system that calls RPO plays damn near 50% of the time is concerning.

Kiffin ran more RPO’s out of the spread than nearly every coach in college football. The only QB in the NFL that has played in an offense with that much RPO action is Tua Tagovailoa

I don’t think this is a scenario where you have Mahomes who has elite athleticism and an elite arm running the RPO at a significant rate. It seems to be more in line with Tua running the RPO.