• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Network insider: Alcohol issues, 'unreliable behavior' caused Matt Corral's NFL Draft slide

pantherj

He was imperfect when he was 18/19 made some mistakes he dealt with it got his life on track and has made a future career for himself in the NFL. We've got plenty of drunkards here anyways so spare the judgment please. As for depression that is very common you just don't hear about it from many people in the public eye because of ridicule like you see here.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Swaggasaurus said:

What alcohol issues? Again specifically have you read anything that has any details there? If not wtf are we talking about here. Did he get caught drunk pissing in an alley? Did he show up drunk to games? Practices? Or did the guy party too hard early in his college experience in his off time? 

Do you think Rappaport is making poo up?

We have drug addicts (Smith - yes I know it was only pot) and woman abusers (Wilson) on the team… Corral’s drinking habit is the least of my concern. It’s not like we are talking about Johnny Manziel or Chad Kelly.

I’d rather stick to talking about him as a football player.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 2

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I think you are full of poo, have no details, and spewing a vague take with no details. 

The only thing I could find is an article saying that he drank and was depressed over 2 years ago, but he pulled himself out of that by his bootstraps. These guys aren’t immune to real struggles that we all have, at least he’s been open with it. 

You are alluding to this like some dark cloud like he gets drunk and beats crippled kids at orphanages

• Flames 1

Just now, Swaggasaurus said:

I think you are full of poo, have no details, and spewing a vague take with no details. 

The only thing I could find is an article saying that he drank and was depressed over 2 years ago, but he pulled himself out of that by his bootstraps. These guys aren’t immune to real struggles that we all have, at least he’s been open with it. 

You are alluding to this like some dark cloud like he gets drunk and beats crippled kids at orphanages

Like I said that is certainly one way to spin it, however if you believe Ian, the NFL has a different way of looking at it.  Its not me making poo up.

31 minutes ago, CRA said:

How many NFL player got in a fight in high school? A crazy amount.  And how many got in a fight with Wayne Gretzky’s son? One.  That’s why we hear about that.  I totally disregard that. 

Did he party early in college and not take football serious? Sounds like it.  Is it well documented he changed that while in college? Yep.  Hell, that’s the path of how many successful people? 

Is he the safest pick ever? Probably not.  But that’s why he is a 3rd round pick.   

I remember when he was being recruited there were stories that he was into substances harder than alcohol.

Either way, it's a roll of the dice on a guy that has had success for two years in College and has the physical talent to play QB in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Rapsheet isn't above spinning a story for clicks.

The main reason that Corral slid is that he played in an RPO offense which in turn made him a tough analysis. Can he process information in a pro style offense...blah blah blah? 

By the way, I'm not excusing his Wonderlic, but he thinks he may have skipped a question, and if you do that apparently they don't count anything else after it. It's not a good litmus test anyway. Seriously. All we have to do is look at history.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Rapsheet isn't above spinning a story for clicks.

The main reason that Corral slid is that he played in an RPO offense which in turn made him a tough analysis. Can he process information in a pro style offense...blah blah blah? 

By the way, I'm not excusing his Wonderlic, but he thinks he may have skipped a question, and if you do that apparently they don't count anything else after it. It's not a good litmus test anyway. Seriously. All we have to do is look at history.

We can agree to disagree but he is not simply going to make poo up about a player for clicks.   Thats ludicrous 

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

...if you believe Ian...the NFL has a different way of looking at it.  Its not me making poo up.

That's a big leap. Rapsheet doesn't speak for the whole of the NFL. 

I researched this kid and have read a lot of information. I know why he slid. It was RPO, size (and durability concerns).

• Flames 1

16 minutes ago, Swaggasaurus said:

What alcohol issues? Again specifically have you read anything that has any details there? If not wtf are we talking about here. Did he get caught drunk pissing in an alley? Did he show up drunk to games? Practices? Or did the guy party too hard early in his college experience in his off time? 

Not that I've heard of just had a drinking problem so he's stopped drinking altogether. Don't imagine this has any weight to it but time will tell.

49 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

He admitted that in his first couple years he didn’t really watch tape or put in the work he should have.  He was an overconfident 18/19 year old.  He grew up a bit and hasn’t had any issues in years from my understanding.  I’m not worried about the guy

I really, really believe character matters, especially when in a leadership role. Character, though, iss something developed over a lifetime, particularly one with trials and tribulations. 

That growth in his game by senior year points to a lot of growth. Hopefully he's still growing and can make the most of it here. He's our guy now and so he deserves our full support.

13 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We can agree to disagree but he is not simply going to make poo up about a player for clicks.   Thats ludicrous 

Oh, a journalist sensationalizing to get clicks is ludicrous now? Come on, dude.

At the end of the day, Corral is a Panther, what does it really profit any journalist to be bringing out old information at this point other than for a story? 

If some QB-needy  FO passed on Corral for that, then so be it. I think they're foolish, but everyone has an opinion. Like I said, it was the smart execs who put all that within its proper context, and made the deciding factors based upon his experience, traits, size and all that. It was Kiffin's offense and Corral's size that were the real reasons for the slide, if there in fact was a slide at all. From some perspective, we can say that Corral didn't slide at all, but went where he was supposed to, especially when juxtaposed against recent drafts.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, Khyber53 said:

I really, really believe character matters, especially when in a leadership role. Character, though, iss something developed over a lifetime, particularly one with trials and tribulations. 

That growth in his game by senior year points to a lot of growth. Hopefully he's still growing and can make the most of it here. He's our guy now and so he deserves our full support.

100%. Speaking of Character 

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2021/08/21/ole-miss-football-lane-kiffin-matt-corral-get-real-trust/8129467002/

• Pie 2