• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Network insider: Alcohol issues, 'unreliable behavior' caused Matt Corral's NFL Draft slide

pantherj

This isn’t a manziel situation I’ll just say that. Never heard any issues that weren’t self reported. He literally didn’t have to say he had issues with alcohol  or depression and no one would be talking about it. Meanwhile Mac Jones had like 2 dui’s and was drunk as fug on draft night slurring his words in a club but nobody said poo about that on here minus a handful of people. Everyone downplayed that.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

25 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I really, really believe character matters, especially when in a leadership role. Character, though, iss something developed over a lifetime, particularly one with trials and tribulations. 

That growth in his game by senior year points to a lot of growth. Hopefully he's still growing and can make the most of it here. He's our guy now and so he deserves our full support.

And a lot of the reporting has been his teammates would run through a brick wall with him   That’s what we lack.   Real leadership and energy.  

• Pie 4

56 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

This isn’t a manziel situation I’ll just say that. Never heard any issues that weren’t self reported. He literally didn’t have to say he had issues with alcohol  or depression and no one would be talking about it. Meanwhile Mac Jones had like 2 dui’s and was drunk as fug on draft night slurring his words in a club but nobody said poo about that on here minus a handful of people. Everyone downplayed that.

Yep.  Mac Jones was arguably more of a nightmare behind the scenes but he's that pepp'd up southern boy so he was never really ridden hard for it.  I remember a story about the sheriff or whatever basically telling him that they had his back or whatever.  

I think it's a non-issue. If he can get a bit thicker & the schemes and playbook under control, I've got a ton of hope for him.  

Hell, my sophomore year in school, my last quarter I got a BID: A grade B in some journalism class, an I (incomplete) in another class I needed for my degree (so I had to retake it) and a D in econ. Why did I do so bad? Drinking and partying. What made me change? One time, you see, my friends carried me on their shoulders into the dorm like I was some king and other friends, including a couple girls put me in a tub and cleaned me up. The next day, my roommate told me that I had a problem. I told him that I only drank on Friday and Saturday. He told me that didn't matter. I reflected upon my actions, talked to a few others, and I concluded that I indeed had to change (which I did). Don't get me wrong, I still have a few occasionally to this day, but I never got anywhere near that drunk again, and it's been 35 years now. Hell, I drove drunk, ran from the police in a car, outsmarted them by parking in a parking lot, scaled a fence with barbed wire and hid in kudzu until they left. I chugged a six pack in 30 minutes, got into my friends convertible and went to the Shrimp Boat drunker than poo. This stuff is perhaps benign, but it could have had some lifelong consequences. I was just lucky, but I made it up in my mind to be more responsible and leave all the immaturity and stupidity behind, and now I'm a fine man if I do say so myself. Someone who knows me for the man I am today wouldn't guess that I used to abuse drink in college. Corral will be fine.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, davos said:

Yep.  Mac Jones was arguably more of a nightmare behind the scenes but he's that pepp'd up southern boy so he was never really ridden hard for it.  I remember a story about the sheriff or whatever basically telling him that they had his back or whatever.  

I think it's a non-issue. If he can get a bit thicker & the schemes and playbook under control, I've got a ton of hope for him.  

I know it gets talked about a lot but his quick release is the most excited I am about his game. And the ball explodes out of his hand. Corral has a ton of work to do coming from an RPO based system and who knows if he will translate but the good ones have that. Rodgers comes to mind. Gonna be interesting to see him play in preseason. 

• Pie 1

he's been very open about it and he apparently even started a student group at ole miss to help other students whove dealt with similar issues

otoh, there's a reason it's called "recovery" and not "recovered." he will need a very stable situation, if he is indeed an alcoholic

otoh he might just have partied too hard, like every college athlete did before social media, and scouts are just blowing it out of proportion because he doesn't come from the "right family" (white kid with a father who has nfl connections) and scouts love to poo on people that aren't in the system. 

"oh god he punched wayne gretsky's son"

fuging good the kid probably deserved it. 

• Pie 3

10 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I know it gets talked about a lot but his quick release is the most excited I am about his game. And the ball explodes out of his hand. Corral has a ton of work to do coming from an RPO based system and who knows if he will translate but the good ones have that. Rodgers comes to mind. Gonna be interesting to see him play in preseason. 

He can flick it that's for sure and with placement.  And seems to have deep field vision.  What I've seen and liked are also his mid-range seam throws ~15-25 yarders.  Consistently hitting guys in stride and avoided the dreaded "hospital balls".  He's got some promise.