• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Network insider: Alcohol issues, 'unreliable behavior' caused Matt Corral's NFL Draft slide

pantherj

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Depression and alcohol issues

Sometimes, before people get diagnosed, they "self-medicate" with alcohol or drugs.

One of the positions Tepper added just after he bought the team was a Director of Player Wellness to help with mental illness issues. That position could really pay dividends.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Hell, my sophomore year in school, my last quarter I got a BID: A grade B in some journalism class, an I (incomplete) in another class I needed for my degree (so I had to retake it) and a D in econ. Why did I do so bad? Drinking and partying. What made me change? One time, you see, my friends carried me on their shoulders into the dorm like I was some king and other friends, including a couple girls put me in a tub and cleaned me up. The next day, my roommate told me that I had a problem. I told him that I only drank on Friday and Saturday. He told me that didn't matter. I reflected upon my actions, talked to a few others, and I concluded that I indeed had to change (which I did). Don't get me wrong, I still have a few occasionally to this day, but I never got anywhere near that drunk again, and it's been 35 years now. Hell, I drove drunk, ran from the police in a car, outsmarted them by parking in a parking lot, scaled a fence with barbed wire and hid in kudzu until they left. I chugged a six pack in 30 minutes, got into my friends convertible and went to the Shrimp Boat drunker than poo. This stuff is perhaps benign, but it could have had some lifelong consequences. I was just lucky, but I made it up in my mind to be more responsible and leave all the immaturity and stupidity behind, and now I'm a fine man if I do say so myself. Someone who knows me for the man I am today wouldn't guess that I used to abuse drink in college. Corral will be fine.

Dennis Eckersley is not only in the baseball Hall of Fame; he is in the Partying Hall of Fame as well. He is sober now and said that he realized he had a serious problem when he saw a video of himself trashed and stopped drinking the next day. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, PizzaTheHutt said:

First off anyone going to Ole Miss has alcohol issues. Every night there's a different drink special at the bars and you're in the middle of nowhere, Mississippi. Drinking and screwing is all we got

2nd....Corral has grown and matured so much over the last two years, you can tell by how his teammates treat him and how much he's willing to punish his body to help get a W (he basically was a one man show vs TN last year.) He's coachable, which you can see with how much his interception totals decreased over the last two years. 

And lastly tell me someone who hasn't been depressed over the last few years!!! A pandemic, flirting with WWIII, the world feels like it's falling apart sometimes. To admit he's depressed just means that Corral is human. These young kids don't hold back on their emotions like us older folks were taught. And that, friends is progress 🙂

thank you for coming to my TED talk 

Tell me more about the screwing part.

• The D 1

I believe he said recently that he hadnt drank in over a year or something.   If that is true then I don't really see it as an issue at all.  If they found out that was untrue and he was lying about it then yea that is a bit of a red flag. 

4 hours ago, PandaMan said:

He admitted that in his first couple years he didn’t really watch tape or put in the work he should have.  He was an overconfident 18/19 year old.  He grew up a bit and hasn’t had any issues in years from my understanding.  I’m not worried about the guy

I'd never minimize real issues, but I think most would consider "arrogant", "unreliable" and "drunk" adjectives that apply to a pretty high percentage of college students 😕

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

As someone who had a lot of....well....issues from late teens to early 20s and who overcame them and think I'm better because of them, I'm not going to hold it against him.

Sounds like most males who have turned out just fine in the end. Give the kid a chance and let his actions going forward speak for him and his character.

Edited by Richard Cranium 1
  • Pie 1