• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did we pick the correct LT?

AU-panther

Doesn't matter at this point, but for all of the armchair GMs, did we pick the correct LT?

By most accounts Ekwonu was regarded at the best run blocker, Cross the best pass blocker, and Neal was the most athletically gifted.

Ekwonu seemed to be the top tackle on most boards, although I did see Cross on some, namely PFF.

You could make an argument for Ekwonu based on the fact his floor might be higher in that worst case he is a great guard.  You could make an argument for Cross based on the fact pass blocking is the most important aspect of tackle play in today's NFL.  You could make an argument for Neal based on the shear potential.

Chances are, all three of these guys won't turn out great, would you have picked a different one?

Also the fact that James Campen is on our staff now does make me feel better about the pick

I think so. Ichey and Neal were close. I have heard multiple times it is easier to teach pass blocking than run blocking. If that is at all true then we absolutely did.

I have seen nothing to indicate Ichey can't be the day 1 starter at LT and a really good one sooner than later. Rhule wanted a run first team last year, I expect him to get it this year behind a much improved line that can actually push in the run game.

• Flames 2

Neal is a different kind of human. 350lbs and 6'7". He's a giant. But 320 lbs and runs a sub-5 40? Ickey, with some refinement is the ideal specimen to block the Edge rushers that are currently the pass rushing threat of the NFL. I have every confidence we picked the correct LT. 

• Beer 1