• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cut Darnold... Sign Vet QB to be a Mentor... Start Corral from Day 1

tukafan21

I'll start this by saying I doubt this happens, but if I was Tepper, I'd demand it and immediately fire Rhule/Fitterer if they refuse, but it really should be the ONLY way this season plays out if they're smart.

I totally understand that Corral likely needs time to sit and learn, but with the likely elite QB talent in the top of the draft next year, plus trading away our 3rd next year, we HAVE to find out this year if Corral has a chance to be our long term solution or not, we have to go into next year's draft knowing if we have our franchise QB, not still wondering.  It's basically the same thing as with Brady last year except they screwed that one up and didn't play him at LT until the very end of the season and thus had no idea if we needed to draft a new LT this year or not.

Sign a smart, savvy vet who is okay being his backup and knows his job is to teach Corral how to be a QB in this league, how to go about preparation the right way, the whole thing (Fitzmagic anyone?).

Best case scenario, he looks great and shows enough flashes that he can be a legit QB in this league and if we still end up with a good draft pick, we can use it elsewhere and/or trade back with a team going for a QB to get some future early round picks out of it.

Worst case scenario, we absolutely suck, Corral shows us he's not the answer, we end up with a top 5 pick and get our new QB in the draft next year.

The problem is I'm not sure Rhule will ever get on board with it knowing he's coaching for his job this year, but it really is the way we should go, whether he's ready or not, we NEED to see what this kid has right away, and not in mop up duty at the end of the season with half our usual starters on the IR.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 14

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Financials don't really favor that idea.

Why not?

We're paying Darnold whether he's on the team or not, starting him doesn't benefit our future as we don't find out what Corral has in that situation.  And Darnold is NOT the vet we want mentoring Corral, we want someone who has been around for a while and not someone who constantly sees ghosts out there.

The money is a sunk cost at this point, just do what is best for the long term future of this franchise.

We aren't making a SB run this year no matter what... so don't worry about the smart financial decisions for this year alone, worry about the future of the QB position.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, Mistuh Jones said:

For the love of GOD stop bringing up fugging Fitz. Just stop. 

He's an extremely smart guy who has been around the league for almost 20 years, mostly as a backup.

There isn't a player in the league right now better suited to teach a rookie the ropes about how to go about being a professional QB in the NFL right now.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Why not?

We're paying Darnold whether he's on the team or not, starting him doesn't benefit our future as we don't find out what Corral has in that situation.  And Darnold is NOT the vet we want mentoring Corral, we want someone who has been around for a while and not someone who constantly sees ghosts out there.

The money is a sunk cost at this point, just do what is best for the long term future of this franchise.

We aren't making a SB run this year no matter what... so don't worry about the smart financial decisions for this year alone, worry about the future of the QB position.

Because then you're paying Darnold and a veteran (which likely isn't cheap) for what's likely only minimal benefit.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 2

Feel like that might set him up for failure. If McAdoo doesn’t completely overhaul his offensive concept (which he shouldn’t) and tailor his scheme specifically to Corral then Corral is going be learning a pro style system… something he’s never done before.

Give the kid a chance and don’t Sam Darnold him by throwing him into the fire when he’s not even close to ready.

Being an NFL QB is a lot more than just tossing the ball to the open guy.

At some point he’ll probably play this year… from day one… bad idea.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Because then you're paying Darnold and a veteran (which likely isn't cheap) for what's likely only minimal benefit.

On the field this season, yes, minimal benefit.

In the locker room and film room, invaluable benefit.

Darnold isn't the guy you want teaching your rookie QB how to go about daily life as an NFL QB.  If I told you for $3-4 million out of this year's cap, we would know going into next year's draft whether or not Corral could be our QB of the future, you'd take that in a heartbeat.

Part of it also is just getting Darnold out of here to give Corral the piece of mind that he's the starter and not worried about making mistakes and getting benched.  You bring in someone where it's known to all that they are the backup and Corral is the starter, with Darnold there, he'd always be looking over his shoulder.

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Feel like that might set him up for failure. If McAdoo doesn’t completely overhaul his offensive concept (which he shouldn’t) and tailor his scheme specifically to Corral then Corral is going be learning a pro style system… something he’s never done before.

Give the kid a chance and don’t Sam Darnold him by throwing him into the fire when he’s not even close to ready.

Being an NFL QB is a lot more than just tossing the ball to the open guy.

At some point he’ll probably play this year… from day one… bad idea.

But the problem is what do you do when Darnold is terrible as expected, we then throw Corral in there in the final month of the season and he shows flashes of potential and flashes of being a bust.

We go into next year's draft with a top 10 pick, which also means we're missing about the 70th pick in the draft thanks to the Corral trade.

We could easily draft a QB at that spot or use future picks to move up and draft someone if needed.

But if we start Corral all year and lose games due to the holes in the roster around him, but see that he has the potential to be our long term starter, we can then use that top 10 pick on other positions of need and fill in those holes around him.

My fear is going into the draft with a top 10 pick and no idea what Corral could be, that's the ultimate worst case scenario.  I'd probably feel differently if we didn't give up next year's 3rd, if we just had our 3rd rounder instead of trading it away and took him, I'd likely take a different tact here, but giving up the 3rd increases the need to find out who Corral is immediately in my opinion. 

It would be good to give him a Derek Anderson type older brother like Cam had the benefit of, but that Darnold contract is an albatross around our necks.

Maybe Cam could be that for Corrall. It would be nice. I just wish we didn't have Sammy and that contract. It just really fugs stuff up for us.