• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cut Darnold... Sign Vet QB to be a Mentor... Start Corral from Day 1

tukafan21

3 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I think darnold as bad as we believe he is deserves a shot to play behind a competent offensive line before we discuss cutting him. We paying him so why not take a look for the price.

100%, give him a shot behind his first good OL and with what some believe is a QB whisperer. If he fails then at that point you know exactly what he is.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I’m gonna be honest, I’ve had a couple drinks but I don’t follow your math at all… we gave up a third and fourth for Corral. If we have a chance to draft Young or Stroud next year then you do it and flip Corral for a fourth or something similar… or hell let them battle it out and flip whichever one loses out. So all in all you lose a third round pick (the one traded to New England) but you found your franchise QB.

Corral very well could be a franchise QB but why kill him early trying to find out…. I’d say we aren’t particularly a well run organization but we don’t need to be taking pages out of the Jets playbook.

If we have him in the building all year, likely play him a bit, and then decide we need to re-draft a QB, nobody out there is giving up close to a 4th for him, we'd be lucky to get a 6th round comp pick sent our way for him at that point, more than likely a 7th rounder or a backup/ST player for him.

Point blank, in the end, I'm also just angry that we gave up another future top 75 pick for someone we might not know what we have in them going into next year's draft, and tossing him into the fire and seeing what he's got, to me, is the way to rectify that a little bit.  You give up future picks when you have a good team and know you're not giving up a top 10 pick in that round, particularly when it comes to the first 3 rounds as that's where you can potentially draft day 1 starters.

That 3rd rounder would have been solid ammo to add into a trade next year if we need to move up for a QB, instead we'd yet again be needing to dip into future drafts if needed.  We have too many holes on this team to keep sending away future picks for players we have no idea if they can be "the guy" yet.

That's what teams with contending rosters do to fill in the final gaps they have to be able to make a SB run, not teams who are picking in the top 10 for 3 straight years.

10 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

100%, give him a shot behind his first good OL and with what some believe is a QB whisperer. If he fails then at that point you know exactly what he is.

If that's what we want to do, then don't use next year's 3rd rounder to take a QB this year.

THAT is my problem with the Corral trade/pick, but now that we've made our bed, I'd rather lie in it and see if we get a good nights sleep rather than go sleep on the couch to keep the freshly made bed neat and clean.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

If we have him in the building all year, likely play him a bit, and then decide we need to re-draft a QB, nobody out there is giving up close to a 4th for him, we'd be lucky to get a 6th round comp pick sent our way for him at that point, more than likely a 7th rounder or a backup/ST player for him.

Point blank, in the end, I'm also just angry that we gave up another future top 75 pick for someone we might not know what we have in them going into next year's draft, and tossing him into the fire and seeing what he's got, to me, is the way to rectify that a little bit.  You give up future picks when you have a good team and know you're not giving up a top 10 pick in that round, particularly when it comes to the first 3 rounds as that's where you can potentially draft day 1 starters.

That 3rd rounder would have been solid ammo to add into a trade next year if we need to move up for a QB, instead we'd yet again be needing to dip into future drafts if needed.  We have too many holes on this team to keep sending away future picks for players we have no idea if they can be "the guy" yet.

That's what teams with contending rosters do to fill in the final gaps they have to be able to make a SB run, not teams who are picking in the top 10 for 3 straight years.

I mean there are rumors out there that Love would fetch a third round pick and the only time he’s stepped out onto the field he looked less than stellar. If Corral comes in and puts forth good tape then you 100% can get a fourth for him. Like I said you take Young or Stroud and figure the rest out later. We’re talking about losing out on a third round pick not the number one overall pick in the draft here.

We also aren’t a contending team, if you have to go a year without a third round pick to find your franchise QB and become a contending team then you do it 100 times out of 100.

The bottom line is that we aren’t a contending team… with that said, now that we finally have an OL, every pick should be available in finding a franchise QB. If it only takes a future third then consider yourself lucky. It’s taken many teams much more than that… start with Browns.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

As it stands right now, we have our 2022 2nd and 4th rounders, 2023 3rd rounder, and an additional 2022 4th rounder from another team tied up in our QB spot.  That's at least 2 starters and 2 more rotational players we could have had with those picks.  I'm okay using them on a QB instead, but we NEED to know what we have at that position before the next draft given that, playing Darnold doesn't answer that question for us.

I don't think anyone out there believes Darnold can be our long term starter, even with a better line, he doesn't have it between the ears when the ball is snapped.  

So why keep playing him with all that draft capital tied up in the position and still don't know if we need to use our first rounder (or more?) next year on the position as well.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I mean there are rumors out there that Love would fetch a third round pick and the only time he’s stepped out onto the field he looked less than stellar. If Corral comes in and puts forth good tape then you 100% can get a fourth for him. Like I said you take Young or Stroud and figure the rest out later. We’re talking about losing out on a third round pick not the number one overall pick in the draft here.

We also aren’t a contending team, if you have to go a year without a third round pick to find your franchise QB and become a contending team then you do it 100 times out of 100.

The bottom line is that we aren’t a contending team… with that said, now that we finally have an OL, every pick should be available in finding a franchise QB. If it only takes a future third then consider yourself lucky. It’s taken many teams much more than that… start with Browns.

I don't believe for a second that anyone is offering a 3rd for Love, if they were, GB would have traded him in a heartbeat right now.

With Rodgers coming back, Love is as good as done in GB, they aren't going to use the 5th year option on him, which means he only has 2 years left and I can't see Rodgers retiring after this year now.

If someone is offering a 3rd, they'd jump all over it, so I doubt anyone is doing that.

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

I don't believe for a second that anyone is offering a 3rd for Love, if they were, GB would have traded him in a heartbeat right now.

With Rodgers coming back, Love is as good as done in GB, they aren't going to use the 5th year option on him, which means he only has 2 years left and I can't see Rodgers retiring after this year now.

If someone is offering a 3rd, they'd jump all over it, so I doubt anyone is doing that.

I haven’t one way of knowing or another as I don’t have any intel in the Packers organization, I’m just going off of what most pundits believe his value is.

44 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

But the problem is what do you do when Darnold is terrible as expected, we then throw Corral in there in the final month of the season and he shows flashes of potential and flashes of being a bust.

We go into next year's draft with a top 10 pick, which also means we're missing about the 70th pick in the draft thanks to the Corral trade.

We could easily draft a QB at that spot or use future picks to move up and draft someone if needed.

But if we start Corral all year and lose games due to the holes in the roster around him, but see that he has the potential to be our long term starter, we can then use that top 10 pick on other positions of need and fill in those holes around him.

My fear is going into the draft with a top 10 pick and no idea what Corral could be, that's the ultimate worst case scenario.  I'd probably feel differently if we didn't give up next year's 3rd, if we just had our 3rd rounder instead of trading it away and took him, I'd likely take a different tact here, but giving up the 3rd increases the need to find out who Corral is immediately in my opinion. 

It doesn't change a thing. If there's not a qb on the team performing well at the end of the season there will be another shot taken in the draft. Draft position be damned.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

Can we please STOP TRYING TO QUICK FIX EVERY YEAR!!

They made this bed.. They can't avoid riding it out without taking a hit... Take the dam hit for 1 year and move on...

I think we're making the same point, but with different opinions on what "taking the hit" is.

I view "taking the hit" as taking the cap hit by dropping Darnold and seeing what Corral has got, others (most) view it as playing it safe with Corral and bring him along slowly. 

Because in the end, I think we're hurting ourselves if we go into next years draft without knowing if Corral has a decent chance at being our franchise QB.  That's honestly the only question I want answered during the 2022 season, and I don't think we know that if Darnold is our day 1 starter.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I think we're making the same point, but with different opinions on what "taking the hit" is.

I view "taking the hit" as taking the cap hit by dropping Darnold and seeing what Corral has got, others (most) view it as playing it safe with Corral and bring him along slowly. 

Because in the end, I think we're hurting ourselves if we go into next years draft without knowing if Corral has a decent chance at being our franchise QB.  That's honestly the only question I want answered during the 2022 season, and I don't think we know that if Darnold is our day 1 starter.

Why!! Why not let them compete?? You are already paying both.. Sam isn't blocking Matt's developmental.. And to be clear playing in that system in college with little to no snaps under center and pro scheme aspects.. It is very advantageous for Corral to sit while he learns anyway..

You also have a commitment to the other 72 players on the roster.. AMD your not putting your front foot forward throwing a rookie out there..

Edited by WOW!!

We're gonna keep darnold...unless we can find someone dumber than us to think hes worth anything...His salary is gone next year... I hope we don't shut the door on mayfield...I know, I know... but he might be really motivated after his fiasco and he can play.... I know McAdoo doesnt like him...but McAdoo is Zod....

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Why!! Why not let them compete?? You are already paying both.. Sam isn't blocking Matt's developmental.. And to be clear playing in that system in college with little to no snaps under center and pro scheme aspects.. It is very advantageous for Corral to sit while he learns..

It's not a matter of Sam blocking Matt's development, it's about us finding out if Matt can be our QB of the future, and we're not going to find that out if he's on the bench, we will only find that out by seeing him in live games.

Now if you think Darnold still has a chance at being a top end QB, that's a different story, but I'm long past thinking that's a possibility, he has all the arm talent in the world, but he just flat out doesn't have the ability to process things mentally fast enough to be an elite NFL QB.  I like him, he seems like a good kid, I just don't think he's someone you're going to compete or SB's with.

Again, in the end, I want to go into the 2023 draft knowing if we have our franchise QB on the roster already or not, and I don't think we find that out with Corral not starting until the final month of the season.

That's really all it comes down to for me