• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cut Darnold... Sign Vet QB to be a Mentor... Start Corral from Day 1

tukafan21

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

It's not a matter of Sam blocking Matt's development, it's about us finding out if Matt can be our QB of the future, and we're not going to find that out if he's on the bench, we will only find that out by seeing him in live games.

Now if you think Darnold still has a chance at being a top end QB, that's a different story, but I'm long past thinking that's a possibility, he has all the arm talent in the world, but he just flat out doesn't have the ability to process things mentally fast enough to be an elite NFL QB.  I like him, he seems like a good kid, I just don't think he's someone you're going to compete or SB's with.

Again, in the end, I want to go into the 2023 draft knowing if we have our franchise QB on the roster already or not, and I don't think we find that out with Corral not starting until the final month of the season.

That's really all it comes down to for me

Pat Mahomes,  Justin Herbert, Josh Allen and other didn't start right away and those Teams figured out they had a franchise QB..

If he sits half the year you can still figure that out..

But there is no benefit in giving him the job day one.. And it's stupid at this point not seeing if you can get anything out of Darnold since you are already paying him..

And finally like most QB in this years class.. Most of them will be best serve by sitting 1st and not thrown into the fire right away..

3 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

It's not a matter of Sam blocking Matt's development, it's about us finding out if Matt can be our QB of the future, and we're not going to find that out if he's on the bench, we will only find that out by seeing him in live games.

Now if you think Darnold still has a chance at being a top end QB, that's a different story, but I'm long past thinking that's a possibility, he has all the arm talent in the world, but he just flat out doesn't have the ability to process things mentally fast enough to be an elite NFL QB.  I like him, he seems like a good kid, I just don't think he's someone you're going to compete or SB's with.

Again, in the end, I want to go into the 2023 draft knowing if we have our franchise QB on the roster already or not, and I don't think we find that out with Corral not starting until the final month of the season.

That's really all it comes down to for me

We all get what you want but it’s the whole wish in one hand and poo in the other scenario. I’d love to win the lottery but it’s not going to happen (because I have shitty luck).

Sometimes you have to throw multiple darts to hit the bullseye. Hell, the Browns had to throw 20+ darts before deciding on a sexual predator.

Sometimes the best course of action is patience.

For all the scenario’s you mentioned there is also a scenario where Darnold starts, does poorly, Corral comes in around week 10 and plays lights out and the Panthers end up with the 10th pick. Maybe someone like Tyler Van Dyke or Brennan Armstrong is an option there but at the same time you could also be comfortable with Corral and start looking to draft weapons for him like Josh Down.

Point is… so many different scenarios… no reason to force a square peg into a round hole just to get Corral killed.

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Pat Mahomes,  Justin Herbert, Josh Allen and other didn't start right away and those Teams figured out they had a franchise QB..

If he sits half the year you can still figure that out..

But there is no benefit in giving him the job day one.. And it's stupid at this point not seeing if you can get anything out of Darnold since you are already paying him..

And finally like most QB in this years class.. Most of them will be best serve by sitting 1st and not thrown into the fire right away..

All 3 of those players were Top 10 picks, those teams knew they were their QB's of the future and no matter what happened that year, they weren't taking another QB in the first round next year.

Corral was a 3rd round pick and if we have a top 5 pick next year, unless he plays this year and balls out and we lose because of other issues, 95% chance we'd be taking a QB in the first round next year.

Literally apples and oranges with those situations.

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

All 3 of those players were Top 10 picks, those teams knew they were their QB's of the future and no matter what happened that year, they weren't taking another QB in the first round next year.

Corral was a 3rd round pick and if we have a top 5 pick next year, unless he plays this year and balls out and we lose because of other issues, 95% chance we'd be taking a QB in the first round next year.

Literally apples and oranges with those situations.

The fact those guy sat should be a clue for you...

What if you throw Corral out there and he gets hurt??

There is alot of scenario that can play out..

But Reality is Sam is being paid and should be given the opportunity to compete..

Just now, WOW!! said:

The fact those guy sat should be a clue for you...

What if you throw Corral out there and he gets hurt??

There is alot of scenario that can play out..

But Reality is Sam is being paid and should be given the opportunity to compete..

To be fair, Allen sat 4 games and Herbert sat 1 game.  Mahomes was an entirely different story as they were coming off a strong season and only had the top 10 pick by trading up for him specifically.

If we took a legit Top 10 prospect, I'd have ZERO issue in letting them sit and learn for a bit.  To me, it has nothing to do with anything more than needing to know for certain if Corral might be our long term QB before next year's draft, that's all it's about for me.

There was a interesting back and forth at the presser on whether we were done at QB after the draft and Fitt seemed to answer that we were.  When followed up on he said we're keeping our options open.

I think what you see is what you get here.  They said Sam is the day one starter and its his until its taken.

I think they want to do this right and ease Corral in.  I want Darnold gone to win games, but it just doesn't appear to be in the cards at this point.

31 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

To be fair, Allen sat 4 games and Herbert sat 1 game.  Mahomes was an entirely different story as they were coming off a strong season and only had the top 10 pick by trading up for him specifically.

If we took a legit Top 10 prospect, I'd have ZERO issue in letting them sit and learn for a bit.  To me, it has nothing to do with anything more than needing to know for certain if Corral might be our long term QB before next year's draft, that's all it's about for me.

If you’re worried about Corral not getting a shot this year, that means you’re worried Darnold wins the job and looks competent enough to keep the job the entire season. That’s not a bad outcome…

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, tukafan21 said:

You shouldn't have no issues letting a 3rd round QB sit even more.. That's what's weird about your opinion..

You're willing to throw a 3rd round QB into the fire when they usually need to sit the most. 

13 minutes ago, Double Trouble said:

If you’re worried about Corral not getting a shot this year, that means you’re worried Darnold wins the job and looks competent enough to keep the job the entire season. That’s not a bad outcome…

Not even remotely true.

Look at Brady last year, everyone and their mother knew he should have been playing somewhere on the line from Week 1, but the coaches wanted to bring him along slowly.

And what happened?

Late in the season he finally got the chance he should have had at the start of the year, looked good enough to question whether or not he was good enough to be the long term starter, but didn't get enough time there to really know.  It's exactly why some people are arguing for starting Brady at LT this year and Ickey at LG, because we didn't find out last year if we needed a new LT or if Brady could get the job done.

I'm afraid that the coaches will want to bring Corral along slowly to protect him while Darnold sucks it up and has us with a poor record.  Then the final month of the season they finally decide to start Corral and he looks decent, but doesn't get enough time to show if he can be a franchise QB.

Then we go into next years draft with say the 5th pick in the draft

If we had more knowledge of Corral's ability to be a franchise QB, we could use that pick to take an elite DE or WR.  But instead we likely would need to take a QB, or even worse, need to package up future picks to move up a few draft slots to take a QB.

Even if he struggles mightily due to not being ready, playing Corral for most/all of the season can show us if he has the potential of being a franchise QB.  Just look at how horrible Lawrence was this year, they're not about to jump ship on him, and plenty of other HOF QB's struggled as rookies, but they still showed the flashes of being Elite and thus their teams knew they didn't need to draft a new one the following season.

6 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

You shouldn't have no issues letting a 3rd round QB sit even more.. That's what's weird about your opinion..

You're willing to throw a 3rd round QB into the fire when they usually need to sit the most. 

For me, it's more about what to do in next year's draft.

I don't think we make the playoffs this year regardless of who is the QB, which means we're looking at worst, at a Top 15 pick, very strong chance I think we end up in the Top 10 again, still too many holes on this team.

There are then 3 scenarios next year....

1.  We KNOW (or have a STRONG idea) Corral isn't the QB of the future and thus need to draft a new one in the first round

2. We KNOW (or have a STRONG idea) Corral is the QB of the future and thus can use a top pick to fill the holes

3. We have no idea what Corral could be and thus no idea if we should draft a QB in the first round next year

Starting Darnold for the majority of the season leaves us with only Scenario #3 in the end.

Starting Corral for the majority of the season more or less eliminates Scenario #3 and will leave us with one of the other 2 scenarios.

To me, Scenario 3 is the absolute worst case scenario and I'd rather take our lumps next year if it means finding out which of the other scenarios is most likely.

We're at a tipping point with this franchise, we're either about to be the Browns, trying to solve the QB spot every single offseason, or we have the opportunity to actually have a team that can compete for championships.  We have so many key pieces to contending teams if we can just figure out the QB spot and fill in a few gaps right now.

We can't fill in those gaps when we're blowing our mid round picks every season on trying to figure out the QB spot, like we've now done for 2 consecutive offseasons.  If we don't KNOW what we have in Corral after this year, we're about to do it for a 3rd straight offseason, that's how franchises die, not thrive.

All it comes down to is that if we play Darnold over Corral for most of the year, we'll have spent the last 2 seasons, a 2nd round pick, a 3rd, and two 4ths, and have no answers.  That's at minimum 2 starters and possibly 2 more starters that we'd have lost out on and would still be lost going into the draft next year.

To me, that's not how you build a successful franchise, that's how you turn a team into the Browns of the last 20 years, or the Marvin Lewis era Bengals, JUST good enough to compete for the playoffs each year, but not good enough to ever actually contend for a SB.

• Pie 1
  • The D 1