• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cut Darnold... Sign Vet QB to be a Mentor... Start Corral from Day 1

tukafan21

In short, I realize what I'm suggesting is a drastic play, and I know that it's NOT what is best for this upcoming season.

But I think it's a cheat code to help our 2023 draft decisions regardless of who the coach of the team is. 

I'm already over this season in a sense, yes, I love the Panthers and want us to win, but I'm also a realist and know that we're not going to be a SB contender this year, so I'm okay punting on this season if it is in our best long term interests.

And I think the best way to help our long term interests is knowing our QB situation going into the 2023 draft, which I don't think we will know if we play Darnold for most of the year, period.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Not even remotely true.

Look at Brady last year, everyone and their mother knew he should have been playing somewhere on the line from Week 1, but the coaches wanted to bring him along slowly.

And what happened?

Late in the season he finally got the chance he should have had at the start of the year, looked good enough to question whether or not he was good enough to be the long term starter, but didn't get enough time there to really know.  It's exactly why some people are arguing for starting Brady at LT this year and Ickey at LG, because we didn't find out last year if we needed a new LT or if Brady could get the job done.

I'm afraid that the coaches will want to bring Corral along slowly to protect him while Darnold sucks it up and has us with a poor record.  Then the final month of the season they finally decide to start Corral and he looks decent, but doesn't get enough time to show if he can be a franchise QB.

Then we go into next years draft with say the 5th pick in the draft

If we had more knowledge of Corral's ability to be a franchise QB, we could use that pick to take an elite DE or WR.  But instead we likely would need to take a QB, or even worse, need to package up future picks to move up a few draft slots to take a QB.

Even if he struggles mightily due to not being ready, playing Corral for most/all of the season can show us if he has the potential of being a franchise QB.  Just look at how horrible Lawrence was this year, they're not about to jump ship on him, and plenty of other HOF QB's struggled as rookies, but they still showed the flashes of being Elite and thus their teams knew they didn't need to draft a new one the following season.

“The problem is I'm not sure Rhule will ever get on board with it knowing he's coaching for his job this year, but it really is the way we should go, whether he's ready or not”

You said it in your opening post yourself…Rhule is coaching for his job.

But now you’re saying you’re afraid the coaches won’t play him even if Darnold sucks… 

1 hour ago, WOW!! said:

The hate is great for Darnold.. I get it.. But it's stupid to cut him now.. We are paying him to much to not give him a shot to compete..

I don’t get it. I’ve never understood the hate. He was traded here, thrown out there behind a poo line, with a relative child as the offensive coordinator. 

He did his best. was always professional. Always accepted blame and never threw his teammates under the bus. 

he didn’t negotiate his salary.  Its based on the rookie pay scale. He didn’t pick up his 5th year option, the panthers did that. 

why people hate this human being that they have never met and know nothing about is a mystery to me. 

if he does not perform this year, he will not be given a new contract from the panthers. He will pack his bags and move on without a bad word. 

Some of you guys act like he is some cancerous douche. I don’t get it. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, Double Trouble said:

“The problem is I'm not sure Rhule will ever get on board with it knowing he's coaching for his job this year, but it really is the way we should go, whether he's ready or not”

You said it in your opening post yourself…Rhule is coaching for his job.

But now you’re saying you’re afraid the coaches won’t play him even if Darnold sucks… 

Which is where Tepper and Fitterer needs to play it the right way behind the scenes.

Sit down with Rhule and just be open and honest........

"Matt, we know you're concerned about your job status for next year and you want to win as many games as possible, but we also want to set up this team for long term success as we're realists and know this isn't a SB caliber team yet.   So we are going to start Corral from day 1, we need to see what he has in him.

But you will not be fired over our Win/Loss record this year.  This team has quit on you the last couple years, that is what is unacceptable and what MUST change this year.  Get these guys to buy into the team and your program, get them to play hard for you, get them to show that they believe in you, that's how you keep your job next year.  

Get the team as a whole to improve their play and effort, if we end up losing games because the rookie QB made some mistakes, we'll live with that as it will show us if he can be our franchise QB or not.  If not, we'll draft an elite prospect in the first round next year and you'll get your shot to win with them as you'll then have a more complete team around them to be able to compete right away."

Yes, I know that's pie in the sky thinking and may not work, but if it doesn't work and we're replacing the HC anyways, there's a solid chance they'd want their own QB then and not be stuck with the 3rd round dart throw from the previous staff.

1 minute ago, grimesgoat said:

I don’t get it. I’ve never understood the hate. He was traded here, thrown out there behind a poo line, with a relative child as the offensive coordinator. 

He did his best. was always professional. Always accepted blame and never threw his teammates under the bus. 

he didn’t negotiate his salary.  Its based on the rookie pay scale. He didn’t pick up his 5th year option, the panthers did that. 

why people hate this human being that they have never met and know nothing about is a mystery to me. 

if he does not perform this year, he will not be given a new contract from the panthers. He will pack his bags and move on without a bad word. 

Some of you guys act like he is some cancerous douche. I don’t get it. 

I don't think anyone hates Darnold the person, we just don't like Darnold the player.

He has all the arm talent in the world, probably one of the best pure arms in the league actually.  But he's had 4 years to show that he can't process at the speed required in the NFL and consistently makes TERRIBLE decisions.

It was the concern about him as a prospect coming out of college to begin with and it's now been 4 years and multiple teams/coaches and it's still an issue.  Sure, the bad Jets teams and constant coaching changes haven't helped, but he also hasn't shown an ounce of improvement in his decision making.

He's not a franchise QB and I don't think that's still up for debate.  He might be a serviceable journeyman starter or a high end backup, but if that's his ceiling, I'm ready to move on, no need for another year of seeing if he's anything more, because he's not.

1 hour ago, electro's horse said:

That’s irrelevant and a stupid burn. Plenty enough reasons to hate darnold without gendered poo 

You just have to cut him at this point. No one is gonna trade for him. 

It's cheaper to keep her is a marital term, ie. It's cheaper to keep your wife that divorce her, apparently you didn't have to duck for that one.

What would be stupid would be to pay Darnold 18 million to leave. We're stuck with paying him either way. It doesn't benefit us to cut him. 

At the very least, logic tells us that he'd play better behind this line than the previous. But I understand, the narrative here is to post: cut Darnold, fire Rhule, Tepper has none & Fitts OK. I'm not a narrative guy. Keep Pounding my friend...

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So...no.

See, that's kinda my point though.

Let me ask you this, do you think Darnold is going to lead this team to a good enough season to NOT be picking in the top 10 next year?

Because I don't think he is good enough for that personally, maybe the 12/13th pick of the draft at worst if he's starting most games.

That being the case, I want to know what Corral has got before that draft and not just spot duty in the final month.  There is no long term need for Corral if we're picking in the top 10 next year and don't know anything about him yet, as we're taking a QB in that situation, it would be beyond stupid to pass on a legit Top 10 QB to bank on a 3rd rounder the entire league passed on multiple times panning out for us. 

That's really all it comes down to for me, I was fine rolling with Darnold this year, until we traded a future Top 75 pick to take a QB in the 3rd round, once that happened it changed everything for me.  I now need to see what this kid can be right away, cause if not, we need to take an elite QB in 2023, even if we have to trade future firsts to move up high enough to do so.  

Because also look at the other side of it... if we start Corral all year and he shows enough that we like his potential to stick with him, but him being a rookie costs us some games and we end up with a top pick, we'll be able to flip that for a massive haul to help build around him.

• Pie 1

Hell... perfect example is Davis Mills last year.

He started 11 games and played in 13 for them last year, he didn't do anything crazy and they were still bad enough to have the 3rd overall pick in the draft.  But he showed them enough that they felt comfortable using their draft picks to build around him as opposed to needing to replace him.  

If Tyrod was their starter all year and they ended up with the same record, do you really think they're passing on QB as many times as they did because they had an unknown 3rd rounder in Davis Mills on their squad?

ZERO CHANCE

They're taking Pickett or Willis and Mills becomes a waste of a 3rd round pick for them.  And that is in a weak QB class, whereas next year is supposed to have a really strong top end QB class.

We need to know what Corral is before the 2023 draft, and we're not going to learn that seeing him in practice or the final few weeks of the season.

• Pie 3

12 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

See, that's kinda my point though.

Let me ask you this, do you think Darnold is going to lead this team to a good enough season to NOT be picking in the top 10 next year?

Because I don't think he is good enough for that personally, maybe the 12/13th pick of the draft at worst if he's starting most games.

That being the case, I want to know what Corral has got before that draft and not just spot duty in the final month.  There is no long term need for Corral if we're picking in the top 10 next year and don't know anything about him yet, as we're taking a QB in that situation, it would be beyond stupid to pass on a legit Top 10 QB to bank on a 3rd rounder the entire league passed on multiple times panning out for us. 

That's really all it comes down to for me, I was fine rolling with Darnold this year, until we traded a future Top 75 pick to take a QB in the 3rd round, once that happened it changed everything for me.  I now need to see what this kid can be right away, cause if not, we need to take an elite QB in 2023, even if we have to trade future firsts to move up high enough to do so.  

Because also look at the other side of it... if we start Corral all year and he shows enough that we like his potential to stick with him, but him being a rookie costs us some games and we end up with a top pick, we'll be able to flip that for a massive haul to help build around him.

I'm not terribly concerned with how we finish this season.