• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cut Darnold... Sign Vet QB to be a Mentor... Start Corral from Day 1

tukafan21

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not terribly concerned with how we finish this season.

Until we get someone we're comfortable saying "this can be our QB for the next decade" then I'm concerned about where we're drafting every year.

You can't win in today's NFL without a good QB, could Corral be that guy?  Sure, but until we see it on the field we won't know, and if we have a Top 10 pick before we know, then I want that used on an elite QB if there is one available.

Really as simple as that for me, so throw out Corral, we'll either know he can be our guy or we'll be in a position to draft the QB of the future because we'll suck, I see zero upside in playing Darnold, we know he sucks.

You give Same 3 games behind a MUCH improved line while Matt learns the system. If Sam is what Sam is, and Matt is ready to go, you put him in. If not, you sink again with Sam and get a good draft pick next season. If Sam plays great ... great. And Matt learns behind him and you deal with "who next" when the time comes. You don't just cut Sam because he played poorly behind a terrible line. You have to see what he can do. The ultimate Let You Know test. If you gave He Who I Must Not Name every excuse under the sun for years, Sam can get a few too.

• Poo 1

5 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Until we get someone we're comfortable saying "this can be our QB for the next decade" then I'm concerned about where we're drafting every year.

You can't win in today's NFL without a good QB, could Corral be that guy?  Sure, but until we see it on the field we won't know, and if we have a Top 10 pick before we know, then I want that used on an elite QB if there is one available.

Really as simple as that for me, so throw out Corral, we'll either know he can be our guy or we'll be in a position to draft the QB of the future because we'll suck, I see zero upside in playing Darnold, we know he sucks.

Until we dump Matt Rhule for an actual NFL coach, I'm not optimistic.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Until we dump Matt Rhule for an actual NFL coach, I'm not optimistic.

Entirely different conversation and one we can agree on there.

But it doesn't mean I don't want to at least make smart personnel decisions until then, or at least as smart as possible with Rhule still having a significant say in the matter.

And to me, there should be 1 clear goal of this upcoming season, and that's to see what we have in Corral, I don't think anything else really matters since I don't see us as a contender this year.  Until you figure out your QB spot, you have no shot in this league these days.

If we go into next year's draft in position to draft a top QB and don't know what we have in Corral yet, it means we've wasted this year's 4th and next year's 3rd or we're wasting next year's first rounder by not taking a QB when we should have.  Neither of those options are appealing to me.

But if we play Corral and he doesn't pan out, I don't feel like it's wasted draft picks, at least we took the chance and saw what he was (or wasn't), but if he just doesn't get enough of an opportunity to find out, then it's wasted picks, and we don't have a complete enough roster to be wasting multiple draft picks each year trying to find a QB.

Edited by tukafan21

2 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

I don’t get it. I’ve never understood the hate.

Because they see him as a nerdy dork IMHO. Just like with Clausen. Clausen sucked, yes, but if he were ... "cool", people would have given him a chance. Sam has no swag (which some fans here love more than the DAMN TEAM), so when he underperforms, his dorkiness gets to them. Jake was a fiesty gunslinger, Cam had the swag, some guys even gave PJ a break! So even when these guys played like crap, some people let it slide.

2 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

I don’t get it. I’ve never understood the hate. He was traded here, thrown out there behind a poo line, with a relative child as the offensive coordinator. 

He did his best. was always professional. Always accepted blame and never threw his teammates under the bus. 

he didn’t negotiate his salary.  Its based on the rookie pay scale. He didn’t pick up his 5th year option, the panthers did that. 

why people hate this human being that they have never met and know nothing about is a mystery to me. 

if he does not perform this year, he will not be given a new contract from the panthers. He will pack his bags and move on without a bad word. 

Some of you guys act like he is some cancerous douche. I don’t get it. 

☝️👆🙌👊 I

6 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

He's an extremely smart guy who has been around the league for almost 20 years, mostly as a backup.

There isn't a player in the league right now better suited to teach a rookie the ropes about how to go about being a professional QB in the NFL right now.

Except a guy who can't stay on a fugging team? 🥱

Foles has been in the league for 10 years, won a super bowl, and has a winning record as a starter. Not saying I want him as our starter, but would be a perfect mentor to Corral. Ship Sam off to someone that has a solid QB but needs a decent backup and pay part of his salary to go away. 

Would love to pick up Foles. 

I think if we are picking anything less that top 5 we will get a similar prospect to Corral. Going to be honest, outside of of Stroud and Young, next year doesn't look near as promising as people think. I say that being cautious of Stroud and Young too, because they both come from QB bust university, so I'm very much hoping Corral will be our once a decade unicorn.

20 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

I'll start this by saying I doubt this happens, but if I was Tepper, I'd demand it and immediately fire Rhule/Fitterer if they refuse, but it really should be the ONLY way this season plays out if they're smart.

I totally understand that Corral likely needs time to sit and learn, but with the likely elite QB talent in the top of the draft next year, plus trading away our 3rd next year, we HAVE to find out this year if Corral has a chance to be our long term solution or not, we have to go into next year's draft knowing if we have our franchise QB, not still wondering.  It's basically the same thing as with Brady last year except they screwed that one up and didn't play him at LT until the very end of the season and thus had no idea if we needed to draft a new LT this year or not.

Sign a smart, savvy vet who is okay being his backup and knows his job is to teach Corral how to be a QB in this league, how to go about preparation the right way, the whole thing (Fitzmagic anyone?).

Best case scenario, he looks great and shows enough flashes that he can be a legit QB in this league and if we still end up with a good draft pick, we can use it elsewhere and/or trade back with a team going for a QB to get some future early round picks out of it.

Worst case scenario, we absolutely suck, Corral shows us he's not the answer, we end up with a top 5 pick and get our new QB in the draft next year.

The problem is I'm not sure Rhule will ever get on board with it knowing he's coaching for his job this year, but it really is the way we should go, whether he's ready or not, we NEED to see what this kid has right away, and not in mop up duty at the end of the season with half our usual starters on the IR.

Completely agree with you on everything minus Fitz.

There is zero benefit to trotting Sam out there week 1, and I do not care in the slightest how much we are on the hook for to him. He is in the Sam Bradford realm of being able to get rich off of doing very little.

I think back to the Cardinals and Rosen. They put him out there, he stunk up the joint, they moved on immediately. 

Now that we have a decent OL, why should we waste any of this new talent on someone with zero talent (Darnold).

We should be in the discovery phase of things immediately to see what we have that will stick and we can build around before some of the cornerstones reach the end of their contracts or age themselves out of being the impact player they are at the moment. 

If you want to be an NFL QB, lets see what ya got, kid.