• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CBS Sports gives Carolina a C- for the Draft

chknwing

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We have one starter from this draft class.  I can see where they are coming from

That doesn't reflect the draft so much as reflect that at most positions we have starters penciled in.  I hope that Corral doesn't have to start day 1.  Better for his development.

• Pie 1

Regardless of what talking heads and the media say, this could be one of our best drafts in the last decade. Ickey  isn't going to bust and Corral is on a 4 year rookie deal and cost the equivalent or a mid third rounder  for who some say is the best rookie qb in the draft. Given the value placed on LT and QB alone this draft was a great value at positions of need. Everyone else is a bonus. This year was quality over quantity. For what we needed I think we checked the boxes.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Not really. If you take the Homer glasses off you come down to how many starters did we get. Last year, I liked it after the draft, aside from Trey Smith and our overall aversion to quality OL. The actual results were that Horn played a couple games and we got barely an impact from the other 10 picks.

This year we have Iky and a hope on Corral. I liked this draft as well because we were already behind the 8-ball having pick 6 and then a bunch of late day 3 picks. If Corral becomes our guy, it was solid draft. If Corral doesn’t, the last two drafts could easily be Horn and Iky. I really hope more guys step up to make our drafts look way better but you could look at the teams with multiple firsts this year and if they hit, their firsts could end up having as much as our 17 picks in the last two years.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer because our draft picks this year were hard to overcome even if it was our own fault. Here’s to hoping we get some surprises and some of last year’s rookies make a big leap.

Yeah, I am not impressed with our ability to evaluate talent at all. We seem to be able to hit on top 10 picks but even Hurney crushed that. 

I just don't think I fundamentally agree with Fitterer's philosophy about building through the draft. He is from the school of thought that you want to take as many shots as you can and hope you hit a few. I want to take the best shots possible and hit higher percentages.

We will see. It's better for him to be right because me being right means I waste more and more money and time on this team.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 2

22 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I am more pessimistic about 2021 after the season. Some of that also has to do with extending Robby, Donte and Thomas which kind of mute any affect Marshall, Tremble and Taylor will have. Outside of Horn and possibly BC, last years made less hopeful of other starters coming from that draft.

This year is already Iky and hopefully Corral. If both blow up, the draft is great because of their positions but we need to get two+ quality starters every year to be successful. I’m not talking about BC who might just be an OK starter. If you want to be a playoff team, you need above average to great starters. These two drafts plus the players we used draft picks to acquire haven’t done that yet. 

I said that 2021 seemed to be very, very heavy on building roster depth and very, very light on starting caliber players. That seems to indeed be the case after a limited sample.

With such a bad roster, that just doesn't make sense to me. Instead they rely on guys like Elflein, Erving, etc. to come in and start. Hence why as much as I think the free agent signings we made this offseason seemed better, I need to see these guys play. Our offseason in 2021 was DREADFUL. One of the worst we have ever had. I just can't give benefit of the doubt to the Panthers anymore. These players need to prove these were good signings.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 2

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I am not impressed with our ability to evaluate talent at all. We seem to be able to hit on top 10 picks but even Hurney crushed that. 

I just don't think I fundamentally agree with Fitterer's philosophy about building through the draft. He is from the school of thought that you want to take as many shots as you can and hope you hit a few. I want to take the best shots possible and hit higher percentages.

We will see. It's better for him to be right because me being right means I waste more and more money and time on this team.

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I said that 2021 seemed to be very, very heavy on building roster depth and very, very light on starting caliber players. That seems to indeed be the case after a limited sample.

With such a bad roster, that just doesn't make sense to me. Instead they rely on guys like Elflein, Erving, etc. to come in and start. Hence why as much as I think the free agent signings we made this offseason seemed better, I need to see these guys play. Our offseason in 2021 was DREADFUL. One of the worst we have ever had. I just can't give benefit of the doubt to the Panthers anymore. These players need to prove these were good signings.

I agree with what you're thinking for the most part. That said, I think the Panthers did a better job with this draft than last year's by focusing more on need than churning the bottom of the roster.

One thing I really don't like is the RAS reliance. I'd rather have guys that are good at actually playing their positions than guys that excel in the Underwear Olympics.

• Pie 1

Just now, jayboogieman said:

I agree with what you're thinking for the most part. That said, I think the Panthers did a better job with this draft than last year's by focusing more on need than churning the bottom of the roster.

One thing I really don't like is the RAS reliance. I'd rather have guys that are good at actually playing their positions than guys that excel in the Underwear Olympics.

Yeah, that is the college mentality. They see attributes and think they can coach them up and develop then. That’s a fundamental misunderstanding of the NFL. If you already aren't fairly well developed, it means that you probably don't work hard to develop yourself or you just aren't gonna cut it.

Almost every later draft pick this year has massive red flags that limit their ability to be anything more than special teams players. Which.....they are late round draft picks. It is what it is.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

They absolutely poo’d on Fitterer and the Hawks when they drafted Wilson, Wagner, and Irvin.

I feel comfortable with what Fitterer does regardless of if we are given an A or an F.

He got Wilson in the 3rd right? Hmm

20 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't give a poo if I get Ban  for this but you are a fuging idiot who thinks he knows everything and don't poo 

• Beer 1
  • The D 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

We definitely disagree on 2021. Time will tell. My growing suspicion is that we don't have people that are very good at talent evaluation. 

Those trade value charts look good on spreadsheets but they don't win on Sundays. Hence our records.

Yeah the only issue with this is we only got 6 picks. Bring our average way up compared to the other teams.

Still I think we did great