• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The flaw in the following thinking

Centerfield

Start Corral Day 1 so we know if we need a QB in '23 .. if Corral is bad we need to draft another next year and earlier

You can't start a third round rookie QB - in a weak QB class - and if he struggles come to the conclusion he isn't the answer after one season

Say he did start this season and looked bad overall but better as the season progressed .. how do you attack the '23 draft .. you throwing away Corral after one rookie season?

Edited by Centerfield
  • Pie 3
  • Flames 1

I mean....if he wins the job you start him, IMO. If he is the best guy, put him out there and let him learn. If you find out he isn't the guy, so be it. He was just a third rounder, not the #6 overall pick.

Kid gloves are for guys that aren't ready. Supposedly he is one of the couple of guys that might actually be ready.

• Pie 5

15 minutes ago, Centerfield said:

Start Corral Day 1 so we know if we need a QB in '23 .. if Corral is bad we need to draft another next year and earlier

You can't start a third round rookie QB - in a weak QB class - and if he struggles come to the conclusion he isn't the answer after one season

Say he did start this season and looked bad overall but better as the season progressed .. how do you attack the '23 draft .. you throwing away Corral after one rookie season?

Many good QB's have bad rookie seasons, so it will be hard to eval either way, even if we throw him to the wolves.

I am convinced that Corral is going to start games this season, either because Sam implodes or Sam gets hurt.  It happens every season for Sam.

Macadoo has a good track record of evaluating and coaching up Qb's so I feel we are in good hands there.  It actually makes me feel better about the pick. 

• Pie 3

12 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

I don't think the way he performs matters if we are sitting at the top of next years draft. They will take the best QB available regardless. This will be our last year of Darnold anyways

No idea why this concept is hard to grasp.

If you are picking 1 or 2 next year then you are taking Young or Stroud… it doesn’t matter who your QB is because worse case scenario, you have a massive trade chip.

Things get more interesting if you are in the 10-15 range where guys like Van Dyke and Armstrong might have value but you cross that bridge when you get to it.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, Centerfield said:

11 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Many good QB's have bad rookie seasons, so it will be hard to eval either way, even if we throw him to the wolves.

I am convinced that Corral is going to start games this season, either because Sam implodes or Sam gets hurt.  It happens every season for Sam.

Macadoo has a good track record of evaluating and coaching up Qb's so I feel we are in good hands there.  It actually makes me feel better about the pick. 

You two should absolutely argue this out 😐

20 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Things get more interesting if you are in the 10-15 range where guys like Van Dyke and Armstrong might have value but you cross that bridge when you get to it.

If you think they are good, you take them and let them battle it out with Corral.

It's not about if he has a bad year or not, Lawrence just had a bad rookie year himself, but it's about showing enough positives that make you believe if he's worth trying to have as the starter or if you need to draft someone new.

He's also not Malik Willis, he's a 4 year player and 3 year starter in the SEC.  Yes he needs to learn to play a more NFL style offense, but he should be able to step in and play right away, even if he struggles like most rookies do.

I'm not expecting him to come in and be ROY and be a Pro Bowler to be okay with not drafting someone new, but just show me enough good things and improvement throughout the year that it looks worth trying to use our picks to build around him for a year or two and see if it works out.

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

You start the QB that gives you the best chance to win. If that ends up being Darnold after a full camp, then you should consider Corral worse and no better than a career backup.

A franchise QB will grab that starting spot and never give it up.

Yep like Russell Wilson did in Seattle as a rookie 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

Yep like Russell Wilson did in Seattle as a rookie 

Right? And like Aaron Rodgers did as a rookie.

And like Carson Palmer did as a rookie.

And like Tony Romo Did as a Rookie.

And like Tom Brady Did as a Rookie.

And like Kirk Cousins did as a Rookie.

And like Drew Brees did as a Rookie. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 2