• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Analyzing the New OL

MHS831

11 hours ago, MHS831 said:

So if you read the tea leaves, we are going to run the football more. 

Panthers: 13 play drive 63 yds FG is good (7 min drive)

Modern Offense: 4 plays 75 yds TD(pass)  PAT Good. (2 1/2 min drive)

Panthers: 9 plays (punt) (4 min drive)

Modern Offense: 3 plays 45yds TD(pass) PAT Good. (1 1/2 min drive)

End 1st Qtr: CAR-3  OPP-14

But we got 60 rushing yards in the QTR! 

16 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

Panthers: 13 play drive 63 yds FG is good (7 min drive)

Modern Offense: 4 plays 75 yds TD(pass)  PAT Good. (2 1/2 min drive)

Panthers: 9 plays (punt) (4 min drive)

Modern Offense: 3 plays 45yds TD(pass) PAT Good. (1 1/2 min drive)

End 1st Qtr: CAR-3  OPP-14

But we got 60 rushing yards in the QTR! 

Tennessee is a run-first operation and they were the #1 seed.  I am not sure that it is my ideal sitaution, but if you can't find a QB that can throw completions to our team then this could be a reaction to that.  I am somewhat sure if we had Aaron Rodgers or Allen at QB, we'd have drafted Cross.

By the way, who was the OL behind that scenario you mentioned?

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Tennessee is a run-first operation and they were the #1 seed.  I am not sure that it is my ideal sitaution, but if you can't find a QB that can throw completions to our team then this could be a reaction to that.  I am somewhat sure if we had Aaron Rodgers or Allen at QB, we'd have drafted Cross.

By the way, who was the OL behind that scenario you mentioned?

Its a shot at doubling down on running the ball when the league/game is obviously trending towards the pass.  IMO its another example of how backwards and limited this staff is.  No matter the situation they make the wrong adjustment or none at all.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

With Ekwonu run blocking ability I don't see why he doesn't start at RT to begin with. Moton can play LT and his experience gives him a bigger edge playing that difficult position. Next year though I would expect roles to reverse. 

Just run left more. That's what teams did to us. Typically the best rushers  are on the blindside and running the ball right at them slows down the pass rush at times.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

Yes, but they win games.  Lots of them, if you execute well.  Baby steps.

It's a great way to get to 8-9 or 9-8. You can even get up to 10-7 on a good year. The problem is that it leaves you no room for error. One bad bounce or bad call, and your 17-13 win becomes a 21-17 loss.

And, then, at some point in the playoffs, you're going to run into a team with a Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow, Allen, etc. Against a team like that, you're gonna have to put up points to beat them. Foxball won't get it done, just look at what happened to....

14 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Tennessee is a run-first operation and they were the #1 seed. 

Tennessee when they got bounced in their first game (after a bye) to a team with *checks notes* a dynamic offense.

1 minute ago, Michael G said:

Just run left more. That's what teams did to us. Typically the best rushers  are on the blindside and running the ball right at them slows down the pass rush at times.

Or let one of the best LT prospect in the draft develop into 1 of the best LT in the league... Honestly who said Ikcy was a bad pass blocker?? He might be great run blocker and that's his best attribute now.. But he isn't a bad pass blocker either.. Just leave him at LT.. Leave Moton at his best Position RT and let the oline develop..

• Beer 4

1 hour ago, Snake said:

With Ekwonu run blocking ability I don't see why he doesn't start at RT to begin with. Moton can play LT and his experience gives him a bigger edge playing that difficult position. Next year though I would expect roles to reverse. 

No thank you.

Let Moton play where he's at his best, and let Icky learn.  We aren't likely to make the playoffs this season unless Baker comes and is great.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

IMO It seems we have 1 Guard spot where there will be a lot of competition for the spot. (Icky LT- Corbett will play 1 G spot, Boze at C, and Tmo at RT). I'm not sure BC gets it, especially if we are going bigger and running more. Does Deonte get a shot? I think it will be interesting to see who gets that job.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I'm betting that with a much improved o-line and an OC that can read defensive tendencies, CMC will stay healthy all year. When a RB has to fight for a hole in a crowd (last year, ugh) and he can't use his moves and balance to get to the 2nd level, defensive players start throwing themselves at him and that's where injuries come from, especially lower body injuries. There will be holes this year for CMC and Foreman and Chubba (balance, Chubba, balance!).

4 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

Yes, but they win games.  Lots of them, if you execute well.  Baby steps.

It's also true that what frequently happens in the NFL is everybody starts doing one thing and then a team that decides to do something different becomes a powerhouse and starts things trending in the other direction.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Michael G said:

Playing LT in the NFL is very difficult for a Rookie. Even a very good one.