• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Analyzing the New OL

MHS831

6 hours ago, Snake said:

Because you don't understand how a offensive line works. It's not as plug and play as you see it. LT is the most difficult position to play in the NFL and starting a guy there who has faced ACC talent isn't a great idea if you want to win games. Especially when you have a elite RT that can play LT. Not only that but you need to protect the blindside of a QB especially when that QB is a rookie or sees ghosts. This is why Jordan Gross started out at RT his first year and it wasn't a "more difficult position" for him. It allowed him to progress and build NFL skills. 

I refuse to believe you were the fastest sperm cell.

• Pie 1
  • The D 1
  • Flames 2

I guess I shouldn’t be, but I’m surprised by people not wanting to start Ickey at LT. After searching for a starter for many many years we finally draft one, he was in consideration for first pick overall, and then we should not start him because he played in the ACC? Holy moly people. 

• Pie 2

You don't draft a Tackle at #6 overall and stick him on the right side when you have a guy that could be an All-Pro at Right Tackle. That would be idiotic. Ickey will be the LT and really as of right now I think the only spot that is even a question is LG, where BC will probably get some reps as well as Cade Mays and some of the guys that were there last year that were terrible.

• Pie 1

On 5/2/2022 at 9:35 PM, Jackie Lee said:

Ickey at LG and BC at LT is probably better than the opposite. Ideally Cade or Deonte win the guard job, Ickey starts at LT and BC is a solid backup swing tackle

This makes sense if Ickey is struggling at LT his rookie year.  Looking at last year's rookies Slater seemed fine stepping in at LT, but I think Sewell played RT primarily because they had a decent LT in Decker (who was already playing that spot), so it's definitely possible.  I say he let him learn LT while Darnold is starting for the first few games.  If he catches on keep him there (hopefully) work Corral into the starting lineup.  If Ickey struggles slide him to LG for a bit and let BC play LT (as you stated).

• Beer 1

On 5/1/2022 at 9:49 PM, MHS831 said:

31st ranked OL in 2021: CAROLINA PANTHERS

LT Cam Erving | 56.0
LG Michael Jordan | 50.8
C/G Pat Elflien 50.1
RG John Miller | 52.1
RT Taylor Moton | 77.8

Carolina’s offensive line was always going to become an issue given the players they prioritized to acquire in the offseason. Taylor Moton earned a 77.8 PFF grade and was one of the better right tackles in the NFL, but he was the only one of 11 linemen to end with a grade above 67.0. John Miller and Michael Jordan, who played just 21 games combined, allowed 13 sacks from their guard spots, and three different linemen earned PFF pass-blocking grades lower than 40.0. This offensive line performance was a true case of reaping what you sow.---PFF

FWIW, Brady Christensen had a rough start and strong finish at T, but his overall PFF score was 61.6--better than 60% of the 2021 starters.  Here is what the new acquisitions look like, using PFF scores to gauge:

• Brady Christensen 61.6 (this does not reflect the growth in 2021; BC ended the season with positive momentum)
  • Bradley Bozeman  73.3  (as center, excellent on double-team blocks)
  • Austin Corbett  68.8 (in a pass-happy offense in LA--more runs would increase rating because he is excellent at reaching second level)
  • Taylor Moton 77.8
  • Ickey Ekwonu N/A (Best run-blocking LT in college football)

Three new linemen, all good to excellent run blocking. Expect improvement from BC from his rookie year, and expect Corbett's effectiveness to increase in a run-first offense.

We added D. Foreman as a big RB, CMC should be healthy (and better protected),  And expect Tremble to be more active in the run game as a blocker. 

We had a chance to take the best pass blocking OT in the draft, the most versatile OT in the draft, or the best run blocking OT--we chose the best run-blocker.

So if you read the tea leaves, we are going to run the football more. 

We added D'Onta Foreman, a big bruising back.  CMC returns with more support.  We kept Thomas (a good blocking TE) and Tremble (a great blocking TE) will be a year older.

It makes sense.  We have a raw rookie and a bust at QB who throws a lot of pics.  putting the ball in CMC's hands and taking it from the QB is smart.  If the D plays well, we should stay in games.

Add Cam Newton and you have one of the best running teams in the entire NFL.