• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Monday morning thoughts

Zod

Someone else posted this in another thread, but I’m can’t remember where.

Darnold seemed to struggle picking up the playbook in his first year, they had to limit it in his first couple of starts. This is a new playbook so he only has a slight head start. What if Corral picks it up really quick? The other players will notice. Then how can you not start Corral?

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Martin said:

Darnold seemed to struggle picking up the playbook in his first year, they had to limit it in his first couple of starts. This is a new playbook so he only has a slight head start. What if Corral picks it up really quick? The other players will notice. Then how can you not start Corral?

They starting qb will (should) be decided by game 1.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

The problem there is if Sam Dawnold manages to win a few games before getting exposed. Then we have a BC situation all over again with Corral. 

I would say they're going to want to see if the cheap guy can get it done instead of signing Darnold to an extension and having Corral rot his cheap years away on the bench. 

1 hour ago, Martin said:

Yup, hard to say if it was Darnold or Joe Brady that could only muster up like 6 total plays to choose from. I'd say Corral is definitely more in line with what McAdoo had Eli running with the Giants, quick strikes in stride for YAC. Darnold waits/thinks too long and then tries to compensate by drilling the ball to the guy where we saw all those drops and hospital balls last season. 

• Pie 2

26 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

It’s going to take a lot for Corral to make an immediate impact. He was in a one-read offense that was pretty basic, at least that’s what I’m told. Wouldn’t be surprised if Sam keeps the #1 status until he starts falling apart.

It wasn't so much one-read. It was more pre snap read or, I'm not sure the term here, but one key reads. Basically a lot of reading one defensive player....if that LB does this, then the ball goes here but if the LB goes the other way the ball goes there. A lot of presnap motion in their plays. Very heavy play action which plays well with the RPO and QB draws that they would run.

The biggest issue I've seen is when the play breaks down and his expected read isn't open, he skips reads and goes straight to the checkdown. There's a lot of is 1 there? 3? ball goes to 4. Or 1, ball goes to 4. He processes too fast and skips guys.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Martin said:

Ive heard Ben mcadoo playbook is totally different that bradys was. It was form a former WR james Jones if I member right. He played in bens system.

18 hours ago, Zod said:

1. Considering how few picks they had, the Panthers coupd not have dreamed things went so well for them.

2. Corral is the most exciting Panthers rookie QB since Cam Newton. That much is not really debatable. At the very least it's some interest and excitement to see how he does. 

3. The Panthers have the most complete roster that they have had in probably 4 seasons. If this is not a winning season, Rhule absolutely needs to be canned.

4. I'd like to remind everyone that for a LT to step in and be good right away is very rare. Most struggle for at least a few games if not an entire season. Heck, Jordan Gross started at RT his rookie year for this very reason.

If Sam Delusional starts, this season WON'T be a winning season.

I'm throwing that out there right now.

I think we have too good of a team to just tank out of the gate with Corral.

We'll see both of these guys start at some point this season.  Darnold will start games 1 and 2.  He will continue to start until he gets hurt or we are 2 games under .500.  If some miracle happens and we start off with a winning record early, the hook will change to a 2-game losing streak.

Bottom line, Sam gives us an outside chance to make the playoffs.  Once that ship has sailed, he gets hurt, or he simply loses focus, we'll look to get some experience for the kid.  My guess, Corral starts game 5.  Then he'll eventually get hurt too and Sam will be back out there.

Hopefully he gets at least 6 starts in order to get a feel for his leadership and developmental skills against NFL competition (command of huddle, reading defenses, minimizing turnovers, etc.).  This will tell us if we need to draft a QB or use the draft to get him some weapons. 

Should be an entertaining season with lots of drama.

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yup, hard to say if it was Darnold or Joe Brady that could only muster up like 6 total plays to choose from. I'd say Corral is definitely more in line with what McAdoo had Eli running with the Giants, quick strikes in stride for YAC. Darnold waits/thinks too long and then tries to compensate by drilling the ball to the guy where we saw all those drops and hospital balls last season. 

I just wish we had someone more exciting than Robbie next to DJ.  Really home TMJ gets it going this year.  Would hate for another R2 receiver to bust.  He was so good in college, looked great in preseason and then poof.  It's a mystery.

• Beer 1

32 minutes ago, davos said:

I just wish we had someone more exciting than Robbie next to DJ.  Really home TMJ gets it going this year.  Would hate for another R2 receiver to bust.  He was so good in college, looked great in preseason and then poof.  It's a mystery.

Last I heard Rhule was trying to reteach TMJ his gait, which sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. 

• Beer 3