• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Monday morning thoughts

Zod

1 hour ago, OneBadCat said:

The problem there is if Sam Dawnold manages to win a few games before getting exposed. Then we have a BC situation all over again with Corral. 

IMO it would be ok if Matt sits awhile. Darnold may play better b/c our line and position coaching should be better. Eventually Darnold will probably be exposed (injuries on the OL will do that) and Matt will get his chance. Sitting can be a good thing for QBs sometimes and IMO it could do Matt some good. He'll sit and learn the mental part and play book and get used to the speed of the game in practice before being tossed out there unprepared.

2 hours ago, Ja Rhule said:

I think Darnold is done here.  He might not even start week 1 if Corral shines.  

I still think Rhule will rig this thing up so Sam is pretty much defaulted the job.  Rhule is thinking about his job and future.   Best way to find a W IMO will drive his decisions.  Not being overly concerned about developing a QB (which isn't about wins). 

I think Matt eventually see the field because the crowd at BOA will force his hand as they react to Sam inveitably being Sam. 

But I suspect Rhule's goal is to implement his plan from last season.  Play D.  Run the ball.  Ask Sam to handoff and check down.   That's it.  See what he can squeak out doing that.   And I doubt we see a ton of Sam prior to week 1 much like last time. 

I thought this draft was outstanding wholly admitting I am an optimistic fan and am looking at half full not half empty.  But what has me excited is our new group of coaches. McAdoo and Campen are huge upgrades. And Wilks will help Snow with gameplanning and adjustments. Add in Tabor on special teams and we have real NFL experience in all phases of the game.

People are so focused on Rhule that they don't realize things have shifted dramatically for the better. Our coordinators will be doing the work and making most of the day to day and development decisons.  Rhule may have final say but he won't have yes men anymore but rather competent coaches who are respected in the league and have been there and done that. Tepper can let him coach and do his thing as long as he lets his folks do their job. They know more than he does. Hopefully he is smart enough to know that.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Losing isn't enough to judge by in and of itself..

You have to understand why you're losing.

If the reasons don't stem from quarterback play, then no, your first option should not be to replace the quarterback.

So you're telling me that "most teams lose because they don't know why they lost"?

• Flames 5

14 minutes ago, travisura said:

So you're telling me that "most teams lose because they don't know why they lost"?

Some teams lose because their coach says dumb sh-t like that.

(along with players saying stuff like "hey, sacks happen")

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

imo he's the most exciting QB we've aside from Cam. I've said elsewhere that he can make watching the panthers offense fun again. He's got a lot of the same kind of play making traits. Of course not as good, but still very talented and can make stuff happen when the pressure is on. 

I've got this weird feeling that these QBs are going to benefit greatly from sliding in the draft.  They aren't that bad.  1 or 2 will pop, might as well be Corral.

• Pie 1

1. agree but i think we got lucky w/ no good offers to trade back; we could have easily ended up w/ Pickett and Trevor Penning, which would have been much, much worse than what we got.

2. agree but remember he is from an rpo offense. he really needs time to develop his ability to take in multiple reads and not check down or run so quickly; his quick delivery and arm strength are great.

3. agree; Ben McAdoo as interim coach if we don't make playoffs.

4. Icky is better than Rashawn Slater who played 1116 snaps in 16 games. I hope he gets every chance to play a lot.  

We got absolutely schooled by the Jets in the Darnold trade and missed out on one of the deepest drafts in a while (lots of great players didn't declare during covid year). No more selling out our future.  

4 hours ago, chknwing said:

if Carolina tanks another season, do they use their 1st on a qb in next years draft?

That will depend on how Corral plays.  If Corral plays well, but we still lose a lot of games (ala Burrow's first year in Cincinnatti), then we won't take a qb.  If he doesn't, then maybe.  

4 hours ago, Zod said:

1. Considering how few picks they had, the Panthers coupd not have dreamed things went so well for them.

2. Corral is the most exciting Panthers rookie QB since Cam Newton. That much is not really debatable. At the very least it's some interest and excitement to see how he does. 

3. The Panthers have the most complete roster that they have had in probably 4 seasons. If this is not a winning season, Rhule absolutely needs to be canned.

4. I'd like to remind everyone that for a LT to step in and be good right away is very rare. Most struggle for at least a few games if not an entire season. Heck, Jordan Gross started at RT his rookie year for this very reason.

Christian McCaffrey was the most exciting Panthers rookie since then. Luke Kuechly? I'm sure that there are more. 

Quarterback is not our problem. Offensive line play was our issue. So on that topic I'd say Icke is the most exciting since the Panthers left tackle has been hot garbage since Gross retired.