• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers could have had a second rounder

Mr. Scot

Just now, stbugs said:

This is discussed in another thread right next to this one. 

Hence the line "from the same Albert Breer article linked in the 'Good Insight' thread..."

I'm calling out a sub point in the article that I think is worthy of its own discussion.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I'm glad they made the attempt to go up to the 2nd, but I'm sure what they were giving up was ugly. So ultimately, the choice to reconsider, be patient, and give up less for who could have been the targeted QB all along, worked out in the immediate and long term interest of the team. Great job by them.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

Something this also tells me is that these quarterbacks could have very likely had early to mid 2nd round grades by a lot of teams and their falls were entirely situational. 

There were so many not needing to prioritize QB in the second combined with the fact the QB needy ones like ours didn't want to overpay in a trade up.  A lot of teams finally had their first draft pick come round 2 and didn't need to get a QB.  The Falcons, Titans and Rhules' Team stayed patient.  And the rumor that the Seahawks don't see a problem with their QB room of Lock & Geno was true (Athletic/Brugler's SEA intel was correctomundo)

1 minute ago, davos said:

Something this also tells me is that these quarterbacks could have very likely had early to mid 2nd round grades by a lot of teams and their falls were entirely situational. 

There were so many not needing to prioritize QB in the second combined with the fact the QB needy ones like ours didn't want to overpay in a trade up.  A lot of teams finally had their first draft pick come round 2 and didn't need to get a QB.  The Falcons, Titans and Rhules' Team stayed patient.  And the rumor that the Seahawks don't see a problem with their QB room of Lock & Geno was true (Athletic/Brugler's SEA intel was correctomundo)

Mayfield could conceivably still be an option in Seattle too

13 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

I'm glad they made the attempt to go up to the 2nd, but I'm sure what they were giving up was ugly. So ultimately, the choice to reconsider, be patient, and give up less for who could have been the targeted QB all along, worked out in the immediate and long term interest of the team. Great job by them.

That's kinda what struck me.

I'm not all that used to us being patient.

(or smart)

• Pie 4

29 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Exactly. We need another thread for discussing one part that’s something we didn’t even do?

I mean, cool, I applaud them for being patient and not making a patently stupid mistake like they have previously. I just feel like this had already been discussed not only in the aforementioned thread but others as well. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

The team has a deal in place for a second round pick at a time when every QB but Pickett was available but ended up backing out of it.

From the same Albert Breer article linked in the "Good Insight" thread...

Which was what guided them midway through the night, when they had a deal worked out to acquire a late-second-round pick, with every quarterback but Kenny Pickett still on the board. Inside the war room, Fitterer leaned over to Rhule, sitting to the GM’s left.

“I had the card in my hand, and he looks at me and says, What do you want to do?” Fitterer said. “And we both just kind of took a moment, and we looked at the board, and we decided the right thing to do was to be patient. Let’s not overpay. Let’s be smart about this. Let’s not dig ourselves in a hole for next year. Let’s inch back on trading with these quarterbacks.”

At that point, he, Rhule and the group resolved to wait a little longer and, since they had enough conviction on a couple of the guys left, take another look when another quarterback came off the board.

So basically the thought process was “What would Marty Hurney do?”

Then do the opposite.

Solid thinking.

Edited by tiger7_88
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1