• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 2022 Quarterback Slide

Mr. Scot

Interesting topic. 

I think this was always 100% media driven which caused bad advice to agents and thus to players. Look at the Carolina narrative, most mocks had us picking a QB and then in their analysis of the pick they all said it was a terrible QB class - but we HAD to have one. 

I dont think the evaluations from the media people and teams were off, just desire of the media to generate click bait by forcing team to take them and writing headlines about them. 

13 minutes ago, davos said:

Something to consider is that teams were either pretty locked in on their in-house QBs or simply not in the spot to take one in round 2.  It ended up being a stand-off to see who took a gamble on one first.  I don't really know who outside of TEN, ATL, and maybe NO and SEA were really gunning for a QB after Pickett went.  Maybe MIN and WAS were wildcards but otherwise, people were probably waiting for us to make some overpriced trade up.

And if teams knew SEA and NO weren't really serious about landing a QB, then there wasn't much competition for any of them.  So not much competition for those guys with Atlanta and Tennessee not even having a pressing need with Mariota and Tannehill.  So, I see why they passed in round 2 given the talent pool and knowing others weren't really going to draft a one.  So, it was a bit of a stand-off, us waiting for the 2nd to go and others waiting for us to trade up.  We smartly held until Ridder & Willis went.  

People may think a 23' third is too much (Will Brinson) but we've got the rest of the draft intact, it wasn't some big multi-pick deal and considering the need, worth the gamble.  

Teams weren't playing chicken - they just didn't value anyone outside of Pickett as a 2nd round talent. 

It is what it is - we'll see how it plays out.

• Pie 1

Teams were comfortable with their FA QBs for the year vs this draft class.  The Falcons were ok with Mariotta for the year and the Commanders were ok with Wentz, the Saints with Winston and so on.  The only two teams that really needed a QB were us and Seattle and both teams knew Baker and Jimmy G are available if needed.  Most years don't have QBs like Baker (average) available for a cheaper price during the draft.  That leaves the Seahawks with the option of trading for Baker or Jimmy G.  I'm surprised they didn't pull the trigger on a young signal caller....

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, davos said:

And if teams knew SEA and NO weren't really serious about landing a QB, then there wasn't much competition for any of them.  So not much competition for those guys with Atlanta and Tennessee not even having a pressing need with Mariota and Tannehill.  So, I see why they passed in round 2 given the talent pool and knowing others weren't really going to draft a one.  So, it was a bit of a stand-off, us waiting for the 2nd to go and others waiting for us to trade up.  We smartly held until Ridder & Willis went. 

New Orleans I somewhat get because they like Winston. Seattle I don't get at all.

Lock? Smith? Eason? Yikes!

I suppose they could still go after Mayfield but they still seem lukewarm on that idea.

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Exactly. We didn't value him as a 2nd round prospect.

Hard to tell.  If we had a 2nd round pick we very well could have drafted him.  Our staff was more hesitant to trade away future picks after the mess we found ourselves in this draft.  Third was just too good of a value to pass up...

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Exactly. We didn't value him as a 2nd round prospect.

They had to have valued someone if they entertained the idea in the first place.

What derailed them was the additional cost of trading up that far.

From the article...

“I had the card in my hand, and he looks at me and says, What do you want to do?” Fitterer said. “And we both just kind of took a moment, and we looked at the board, and we decided the right thing to do was to be patient. Let’s not overpay. Let’s be smart about this. Let’s not dig ourselves in a hole for next year. Let’s inch back on trading with these quarterbacks.”

At that point, he, Rhule and the group resolved to wait a little longer and, since they had enough conviction on a couple of the guys left, take another look when another quarterback came off the board.

It didn’t happen for a while. But eventually, 10 picks into the third round, the Falcons pulled Cincinnati’s Desmond Ridder off the board. Twelve picks after that, the Titans drafted Liberty’s Malik Willis. And, stunned again by how guys at a certain position fell, the Panthers got aggressive and started making calls—very comfortable with the idea of taking either Ole Miss’s Matt Corral or North Carolina’s Sam Howell.

7 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Teams weren't playing chicken - they just didn't value anyone outside of Pickett as a 2nd round talent. 

It is what it is - we'll see how it plays out.

I wouldn't call it chicken.

I imagine MANY first round graded guys for a handful of teams fall to the late 2nd and early 3rd.  Team-to-team boards are all different and it's all done in tiers/blocks with varying prioritization of need and fit.  

YGM was reportedly a first rounder for a lot of teams, same with Chinn.  It's a whole puzzle to unravel but guys fall between the cracks when teams are focused on filling needs and targeting specific players high and the teams who have them pegged high can't get a trade up deal done. 

Not many had QB as the need and/or didn't value these guys.  But it doesn't equate to not having a late 1st, high 2nd round grade on them.  Atlanta could have had a first on Ebiketie and Anderson. So maybe Ridder and Willis were in the next block on their boards.  You just never know.  But we do know the value was higher with those two which is interesting to say the least.

Teams see the potential incredible volume of next year's class and punted.  Seattle had 3 shots a taking Willis and passed.   Same as other teams with needs.  If you know you aren't winning in 2022 why draft one of these guys high when that could fug you up for the next draft?   

Corral in the 3rd doesn't stop us next year in the draft either.   This was just a historically bad qb class and teams seemed to learn

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

New Orleans I somewhat get because they like Winston. Seattle I don't get at all.

I suppose they could still go after Mayfield but they still seem lukewarm on that idea.

Brugler & the SEA Athletic writer had reported before the draft that Carrol and Schneider are in on Lock and believe they're contending.  Apparently it is true

They have to have the talking heads and draft gurus talking about something for a few months....to justify paying them and for the gambling fanatics out there

Most of them watch the same film we all do. They are just guessing also.

Edited by Jmac

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think Seattle's plan is to draft a QB next draft. That's the only thing that make sense to me.

Teams (besides us) that were expected / predicted / mocked to take a QB in this draft:

- Lions (nobody took that too seriously)
- Falcons
- Seahawks
- Steelers (they did)
- Saints (by a few)
- Vikings (same)

Am I missing anyone?

Edited by Mr. Scot