• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What if Rhule turns out to be a really good just being a coach?

Fan01

10 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Every coach evolves. 

Rhule still has the same control he had the day he signed his contract with Tepper. 

Rhule is the man. Whether I agree with it not, doesn't change anything. 

It is nice to have a good GM and Assist. GM though. The difference is indeed noticeable. 

Is there actually a noticeable difference? Im a Rhule supporter but I always think that we are happy with his drafts. This year is no different.

Im not mocking your post, just curious to see what you think has changed.

28 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Matt Rhule is going to turn out to be really good bc he’s going to have a competent staff and a QB who can play. 

The scouts/GM are elite. The defense is elite. I think the DC is elite. The skill players are elite. I think the OL will be elite. 

The final piece is a QB who can help move the ball and not turn it over. I think Corral is that guy bc of all the other pieces around him. Rhule isn’t a terrible coach. He’s a dude who had to be shown it can’t always be “my way or the highway” just bc it’s his “process” they’re implementing. The league is too competitive for that. Now that he’s actually got a real coaching staff around him he’ll be good. Which was always going to be the case bc he wants to be a coach that delegates. 

I like the positivity. I think part of his appeal to me what is approach to delegation. I think he swung for the fences with Brady and that didnt work. Last year it seemed like Brady was the driving force to bring in Darnold and that didnt work. 

I think he has better people around him now. It will still be a tough season as our schedule sucks but I think we will see major improvement. 

5 minutes ago, PappyMay said:

I hope he's better because I want to see the Panthers succeed. I think he needs to win 9 games to be safe though. I Dont think thats out the window either!

schedule is tough this year.  I think odds are we will be better on O and worse on D.  That seems reaosnable. 

But I'm not sure being a little better than last year will drastically show in the win column with the schedule. 

34 minutes ago, PanthersGTI said:

Always worth noting....not one person who has worked with Rhule on a peer level or a player has a bad thing to say about him. 

That may not be as hard to find as you think.

But assuming the premise is true, I'd point out that you'd also have a hard time finding anyone who would say a bad thing about Marty Hurney.

Would you want him back as GM?

("nice guy" doesn't necessarily equal "good at their job")

Edited by Mr. Scot

9 hours ago, KSpan said:

One only needs to look at Rule's absence from the stage this offseason and his relative silence during the post-dtaft conferences to know something has changed.

He was just on "stage" at the Kenny Chesney concert last week🤘.

The guy can't even take his kid to a Hornets game because crude & rude Panthers "fans" are too immature to control themselves...

...why would Rhule ever speak or appear publicly any more than the bare minimum as mandated by the NFL?

Nothing has changed... 🤦‍♂️

He's only been an NFL head coach for 2 years, and not much experience in the NFL prior to this. Our expectations weren't realistic. It wasn't realistic to think the Panthers would go to the playoffs with Rhule this early, particularly when he didn't have a QB. And especially in the NFC South with Matt Ryan, Tom Brady and Drew Brees. He needs time to adjust to this level of football - but in the end, it is still football. 

He's had a chance to create his defense, his offensive line, and now his QB. A drafted QB that they targetted, and not settling for a throw-away vet that no one else really wanted. We should expect to see improvements in the wins column this season, even though it's still a tough division. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

58 minutes ago, PappyMay said:

I hope he's better because I want to see the Panthers succeed. I think he needs to win 9 games to be safe though. I Dont think thats out the window either!

I really wish we still had the 16 game season. I think 8-8 would insure his job for another year. Now a lot of teams going forward will be one game over .500 or one game under .500.

I could except an  8-9 season if the team showed a marked improvement on offense. The 2020 (5-11) was almost identical record wise to our 2021 season (5-12) record wise. But the games were so much more entertaining in 2020. We lost 8 of our 11 games by one score or less. We had a chance to win all 8 games in the 4th quarter. I never got bored watching the game despite the losses. Last years offense (especially in the 2nd half) was arguably the worst we ever had in Carolina; and  is why so many of us were ready to hop off of the Matt Rhule train.

Everything about this year's team looks and feels different. If CMAC can return to form and play 12-14 games and the QB play at worst solid, then I really believe we'll be competitive in the NFC and be in wildcard contention at the end of the season.

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

He's only been an NFL head coach for 2 years, and not much experience in the NFL prior to this. Our expectations weren't realistic. It wasn't realistic to think the Panthers would go to the playoffs with Rhule this early, particularly when he didn't have a QB. And especially in the NFC South with Matt Ryan, Tom Brady and Drew Brees. He needs time to adjust to this level of football - but in the end, it is still football. 

He's had a chance to create his defense, his offensive line, and now his QB. A drafted QB that they targetted, and not settling for a throw-away vet that no one else really wanted. We should expect to see improvements in the wins column this season, even though it's still a tough division. 

I always believed (and said on this forum) that we were looking at a 3 year rebuild when Rhule was hired. Year 2 was so bad that we're now a year behind. I think 2023 is the year we make some noise in the division and the conference. I just want to see some progression this year. A strong 2023 draft class could put us in a position to challenge for a conference title over the next 4-5 seasons.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

I didn't necessarily expect the playoffs last year, but I did expect to see improvement across the board. 

What we got was a better defense and an absolutely horrific offense that he helped put together thanks to the players he wanted. 

It was one step forward (defense) and two steps back (offense). 

We need to take at least one step forward on offense and at least stay roughly the same on defense in order to compete this year. 

I am not as high on our defense this coming season as I was last offseason due to the limited pass rushers and weak run defense on paper. Secondary looks legit.

We shall see. 

• Pie 1

To me Rhule can help himself a lot by delegating responsibility. If he can do that and figure away to make make useful halftime adjustments, he may become a decent coach. Hopefully the situational football decisions will improve also with time and more experience. Fingers Crossed...

If nothing else, this team has finally, finally, finally gotten serious about the offensive line. 

That in itself will go a long way in helping this team compete. Rivera and Hurney just never seemed to get it. Even after 2015 gave them the blueprint, they completely ignored it. 

• Beer 1