• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Matt Rhule develop players?

poundaway

Will watch video later, but at first glance my answer will be no, just because so many are better as a rookie than now.

We have big hopes for guys but not many seem to progress from their rookie season. Will try to stay open minded when I view

16 hours ago, poundaway said:

I think the whole thing is hard to gauge.  Did MIke Davis improve or did he get a chance to see the field more?  Did Curtis Samuel improve or did he just stay healthy?  Did Donte improve or was it just a contract year?  Teddy's improvement was marginal anyway and he looked just as good in Denver.   Samuel's production declined when he left as did Davis.  Shaq probably improved from a system that fit his strengths.

I think the biggest data point is all the Baylor/Temple kids that Rhule got to the NFL who were not 5 star recruits.  As they said in the cast, development isn't as important in  NFL level anyway, cause your getting that last 2% improvement to give you the edge.

We are stuck with Rhule for the foreseeable future, I'm trying to give him an even shake so that I can at least justify the situation in my mind. 

I like what I see in the offseason this year.   I liked the improvement in the D last year.  If Macadoo, the OL, and Corral pan out, we could be happy fans.

Good post here- its hard to say and I could build a case either way for alll those question at the start.

This isnt a player improve deal, but I can say this- in 2 years this is the fastest D in the league. That is something, given everything about losing 60% of the players and 99% of the leadership. Wish that translated to less points, but that is a improvement and I much rather the defensive to be the fastest >>>> slowest. 

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, CRA said:

I’m still not convinced about DJack and if he is that much improved.  Think we just saw a lot of weak QB play early combined with a good pass rush.  Which created a narrative that stuck all season even when it no longer applied. 

still think there is a massive gap between DJack and really good CBs like Gilmore.  Think Heinike/McLaurin abusing DJack so badly was a reminder of that later in the year.  

think Jackson slightly improved but nowhere near the level that has been talked about 

You could be right. Could have been ANY coach replaced RR and Djack had the same results mainly due to timing. I know he did add around 15 of clean weight once Rhule got here, but who knows if that was due to Rhule/crew. Djack is a hard to figure out. I do think he learned to play hurt as well and during that you are not going to have your full tool-belt. SO you better not lean on your speed soo much. I think he was playing hero ball/free lancing too. He just older, wiser, and became a pro. 

Lastly Scary terry did that every other CB he played, that guy is elite and doesnt get the attention. Hes in the top 1% of WRs. 

Edited by Basbear

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Can we admit.. That the defense went from a total rebuild 2020 to top 10 ranked and still  building last year..

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/opp.htm

Says 21 for 2021. I get your point but we were not a top 10 D by the end of the year. 

Snow is a solid DC for sure. A little DB crazed but solid unit. Plus add in the failed 2019 D switch that basically left our D to be rebuilt from ashes in 2020. 

9 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Can we admit.. That the defense went from a total rebuild 2020 to top 10 ranked and still  building last year..

That's development..

2020 was a disaster.  As they said in the cast, we were one of the worst 3rd down defenses in NFL HISTORY, not just that year.  To take that , and the following year be 2nd in yards and probably top half over all, is definitely improvement.

On the flip side, we drafted all D in 2020 and we played them.  We drafted 1st round D again in 21.  So the rookies were going to grow and Horn, Gilmore, CJ were icing.   Rhule help choose those player and played a role in developing those players, so he gets some credit.

Rhule still fncked up the QB, OL and coaching positions in 20 and 21.... so that's on him.

Edited by poundaway

11 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

That's development..

Were you one of the huddlers I was "fighting" with about calling the defense a top 5 unit around week 8ish? I had it out with a few huddlers calling this defense elite, told them its 100% fools gold and they quoted stats. Funny as ALLLL HELL they were no were to be found come week 15, no relies, no more elite talk.....sorta like the weak excrement LG/4corn pulled after their hero Howell free fell in the draft. 

I will say form the time Rhule has gotten here, I do like the direction he is trying and the only players worth their jerseys on D were- Shaq(who 90% of the huddle hated) Djack('''''), and this is a looooong way form the other two MHaynes.....thats nothing and see the reason for all D draft. 

I will say it again- the fastest defense in the league. That is a feat. 

9 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

@Cam's New Arm I'd love to hear your thoughts here instead of just pooing my posts for no reason.

(unless of course you're another burner account of a troll I know)

I wasn't wrong about Rhule.   And many agree that he's a pain in the head *AND* the ass.  

First of all, friendo, please don't make someone work so hard to reply to you. Quote people, please. Don't @ them. I have no idea what I said an hour ago, let alone however long ago you were.

Secondly, what did I say? lol

Chevy Chase Ellie GIF

10 hours ago, Snake said:

Not much difference in Matt Rhule, Rivera, and Fox. All hurney type coaches. The only difference is Rhule has zero NFL experience where Fox and Rivera were very good DCs. 

I think Ron was the most hands on with players and probably the most on an personal level too. 

The fact Rhule made that really odd statement about finally sitting down with Sam somewhere near the mid season mark was always super weird.  But I guess in theory it could just be the fact that words and Matt Rhule get problematic and what he said and how it came off wasn’t actually the reality of it. 

22 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think Ron was the most hands on with players and probably the most on an personal level too. 

The fact Rhule made that really odd statement about finally sitting down with Sam somewhere near the mid season mark was always super weird.  But I guess in theory it could just be the fact that words and Matt Rhule get problematic and what he said and how it came off wasn’t actually the reality of it. 

It's why I'm never really excited about coaches who are just managers. They don't really have a particular skill set other than evaluation. Bill Parcells is probably the best one to ever coach like that but not many have come close to his success. 

10 minutes ago, Snake said:

It's why I'm never really excited about coaches who are just managers. They don't really have a particular skill set other than evaluation. Bill Parcells is probably the best one to ever coach like that but not many have come close to his success. 

Yeah, as I said before the hire I ideally want an offensive HC and one that can basically take over if it isn’t up to par.   Ron was close to a being the polar opposite and did it on the defensive side.  

Rhule’s coaching career leading up to HC was basically to dabble in everything.  Jack of all trades, master of none.  Which in theory I guess is a good one to build a great resume to oversee a team. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

So Rhule didn't sit down with Sam until midseason, but he's a micromanager?  Sometimes the reports we get just don't add up.