• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Matt Rhule develop players?

poundaway

He's certainly hired coaches this offseason that have had past success developing players. 

I think that he's had some success. I also think that he has two main issues though. First, he tries to bring his youngins up too slowly at times as opposed to just letting them take some lumps (like BC). Secondly, he thinks he can do magic with proven trash that should arguably be left on the trash heap--something about teaching an old dog new tricks. I'm hoping that experience has taught him better. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

He's certainly hired coaches this offseason that have had past success developing players. 

I think that he's had some success. I also think that he has two main issues though. First, he tries to bring his youngins up too slowly at times as opposed to just letting them take some lumps (like BC). Secondly, he thinks he can do magic with proven trash that should arguably be left on the trash heap--something about teaching an old dog new tricks. I'm hoping that experience has taught him better. 

I think he's learned to sit back and let other people save his job. The hubris to think he could fix Sam and CJ, add some random Baylor guys that are trash just because he recruited them, I don't see what he adds to an organization. He needs to learn how to at least manage time outs before he gets any more responsibilities, including picking starters

17 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I think he's learned to sit back and let other people save his job. The hubris to think he could fix Sam and CJ, add some random Baylor guys that are trash just because he recruited them, I don't see what he adds to an organization. He needs to learn how to at least manage time outs before he gets any more responsibilities, including picking starters

CJ is still really young, and he came into a bad situation. This coming season will begin to tell the real story. As for Baylor guys, I think that's a bit overblown. Young players must be given time to develop no matter the school. Our guy this year has some upside. That's about all you can ask for with later picks. 

Edited by top dawg

Look I love to poo on Rhule as much as possible but he does and has developed talent. Three's plenty of Baylor and temple guys that were with him that made it in the NFL and it was because of his development. 

As of now, I have more of an Idea that there will be more developing because of the experience that will be with the coaches he has now. Which is what should have been since the start but it wasn't how it went down. I'm not a fan of Rhule, mainly because of his stupid comments and slimey poo he does instead of being a man and just say things. E.I. Cam, Teddy, etc, etc. The coddling of Sam was another thing. Also the dumbassery of evaluation of positions. 

It doesn't matter now because he's gonna be here for awhile. So might as well hope he get his head out of his ass. 

IMO it takes time to learn an entirely new process and league. Throw in Covid 2 months after he got the job it took longer and was harder to learn. He had Hurney the first year. IMO injuries and some rough decisions derailed 2021. But between Tepper, Rhule, Fritterer and Morgan, they are figuring it out and appear to be better and more comfortable. It takes time. I was a successful DJ in the private event world and got the job to be an NFL DJ, it was completely different process, system and language. The first 2 years I was OK, and struggled, but they saw something in me to stay with it. I became one of the better DJs in the NFL (my ratings from in game NFL personal, to the NFL asking us for music we play during parts of the game, etc). It was electric in the stadium, especially from 2013 to about 2017/18. It took time. Maybe Rhule just needed time and Tepper, who's a very smart businessman needed some time too. But I see the foundation and changes they're talking about and it's not easy to get there, especially when everybody critiques every move. There are gonna be mistakes along the way. Let see how this year and next year play out. We weren't going to win the SB in 2022 and Tepper said he always wanted to build a consistent winner that's in the playoffs every year with a chance to win it all some times. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

6 hours ago, top dawg said:

He ain't hired nobody

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

It's hard to know who Rhule has spent a lot of time with and actually tried to "develop" while here with the Panthers. I feel like that is more of a position coach job. Although, I'm sure Andy Reid had a hand in developing Mahomes, so it would help if we had a HC that can mold talent.

It would be nice to see a behind-the-scenes video of Rhule with the players and staff because whatever is presented to us on game day and in press conferences/interviews looks to be a disaster. 

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, poundaway said:

The 4 Man Rush had a very pertinent discussion on a key head coach function, developing players. 

Question anewer is kind of. He hires guys with his vision and beliefs, and oversees the teaching and hopeful improvement of the players by position coaches. To a smaller extent the coordinators do this as well. The head coach is more of an administrator. Ultimately it’s his responsibility, but he would hire the people he believes are the best teachers and developers. The problem at the pro level is you need to draft guys that will actually listen and develop. That’s why you hear all the talk about finding what they do best, and putting them in position to be successful. I think players play and coaches coach. Which is why I was and am not ready to give up on Rhule, and I really like Rhule and Fitt together 2 years in. We also need to keep Dan Morgan no matter what. 

• Pie 1