• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Thoughts on the 2022 Draft (Matthias Rant)

Matthias

Just now, Matthias said:

I see many of us are hyping him up.  His talent, from what I've seen in his highlights, is not better than what we saw from guys like Will Grier.

One guy was in an air-raid pass heavy Holgorson offense with padded stats and weird diamond formations and plays designed to open guys up downfield.  The other being in an RPO needing to be quick on the feet, quick developing plays and needing the mobility to run around.  Corral ran for 1,000 more yards than Grier in school, bigger arm, footwork and pocket feel is far and away better.  Entirely different players, college offenses, and Grier did nothing on the level of what Corral did in the Arkansas game.  Never.  It seems we're just blanketly trying to compare guys that fall to the 3rd round.  BUT doesn't mean he is some 1st rounder we got in the 3rd, he has his negatives and why we got him at 94 no doubt.  

Corral has issues with his deep ball accuracy and against man-defense, but you're coming at his perceived strengths saying they're not there, well, because as you admit, you just don't see the quick release people reference.  It's hard to really argue that--this just seems contrarian for the sake of being contrarian to dampen the expected overhype train that will no doubt come.  

• Pie 5

11 minutes ago, davos said:

One guy was in an air-raid pass heavy Holgorson offense with padded stats and weird diamond formations and plays designed to open guys up downfield.  The other being in an RPO needing to be quick on the feet, quick developing plays and needing the mobility to run around.  Corral ran for 1,000 more yards than Grier in school, bigger arm, footwork and pocket feel is far and away better.  Entirely different players, college offenses, and Grier did nothing on the level of what Corral did in the Arkansas game.  Never.  It seems we're just blanketly trying to compare guys that fall to the 3rd round.  BUT doesn't mean he is some 1st rounder we got in the 3rd, he has his negatives and why we got him at 94 no doubt.  

Corral has issues with his deep ball accuracy and against man-defense, but you're coming at his perceived strengths saying they're not there, well, because as you admit, you just don't see the quick release people reference.  It's hard to really argue that--this just seems contrarian for the sake of being contrarian to dampen the expected overhype train that will no doubt come.  

Yeah, this is more coming from my view of his game.  Ultimately, I fear this pick will prevent us from seeking a top QB in next year's draft, which is QB rich.  Depending on where we pick in that draft, our front office may try to stick and develop Corral.  I just don't want to get stuck with him.  If he is just a guy to have on the roster, like PJ Walker, I'm cool with it.

Edited by Matthias

1 minute ago, Matthias said:

Yeah, this is more coming from my view of his game.  Ultimately, I fear this pick will prevent us from seeking a top QB in next year's draft, which is QB rich.  Depending on where we pick in that draft, our front office may try to stick and develop Corral.  I just don't want to get stuck with him.  If he is just a guy to have on the roster, like PJ Washington, I'm cool with it.

We'll see him at a point this coming season and they'll know if a QB is still needed.  I will gladly continue to pan this staff as long as they're here, but one thing they're not is afraid to keep trying at QB and quickly move on from what doesn't work.  I wouldn't be concerned this is preventing us from landing a top 23'.  But let's see how it shakes out first.  There's potential to see through.  

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Yeah, this is more coming from my view of his game.  Ultimately, I fear this pick will prevent us from seeking a top QB in next year's draft, which is QB rich.  Depending on where we pick in that draft, our front office may try to stick and develop Corral.  I just don't want to get stuck with him.  If he is just a guy to have on the roster, like PJ Walker, I'm cool with it.

We drafted a LT in the 3rd round at pick 6 in 2021. We then drafted a much higher rated prospect at LT in 2022 with Pick 6 in Round 1.

If we are in position next year to take a highly rated QB, I dont think we pass it up.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Matthias said:

I see a lot of jubilation going on in this forum.  I feel like I got to be the one now to bring this thing back down to reality.  Haha!  I feel like I got to be Denzel Washington up in this bih!

denzel washington smiling GIF

Now with that said, I'm not going to totally crap on our draft because overall, I love the first pick.  We had all three of our top tackle choices available, which no one could have imagined.  We took the guy that was the most touted.  Considering we want to be a majority rush team, he was the best of the three.  Ekwonu may go on to be Hall of Fame worthy.  I'm so glad we didn't do the stupid thing and pick a QB at that spot.  With all the "experts" mocking Pickett and Willis to us at 6, it had me sweating bullets.  Yet cooler heads prevailed there.  Other picks I liked include Cade Mays, and possibly Brandon Smith.  The other guys I'm kind of meh on.  Which brings me to the guy everyone is all the rage about. Matt "Mother Trucking" Corral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Panthers' Scott Fitterer, Matt Rhule present for Matt Corral's pro day

Listen, there's nothing wrong with being excited to see what cats will do and having positive expectations.  However, y'all are going over the top with it.  Can we please temper (or Tepper) our expectations?  Now for personal feelings about this dude, and really about this QB class, I wouldn't bet my future on him.  I'm a patient gun.  I was fully reserved in getting our franchise guy in the following draft with cats like Anthony Richardson and Will Levis showing up.  Yet you know, our sorry coaching staff said they wanted to draft a QB, and that is what it is.  I wasn't against it, but I hate they traded up for one, especially a freaking third!  These guys were falling off the edge of a cliff. (I think Howell went in the early 4th round)  So of course as we saw, we picked Corral.  Now I'm looking at this dude, and I see nothing special, at all.  Nothing from his highlights screamed to me, "Oh, this guy is going to light things up!"  This guy will have to add weight to his frame (fat, and not necessarily muscle), he will have to learn how to adjust to a pro level scheme, and just everything about him screams he's not going to be a decent guy anytime soon. 

I'm honestly wondering why the hype?  What are folks seeing from his highlights and games, that says he can be a franchise guy?  People say he got a quick release.  Meh.  I'm not giddy about his sidewinding pitches.  Especially at his height.  Fools will be knocking his stuff down at the line like swatting flies.  When people say "Quick release" "Quick release", I'm thinking is this guy Dan Marino?  Nope!   I don't see what the buzz is about.  The truth of the matter is, Corral will not be ready to play this year.  If Darnold absolutely sucks, expect the Panthers to have a bad year, putting us back in the top ten.  If/when that happens, whatever coaching staff or front office we have at that time, we sure as heck better not say to ourselves, "We'll get Matt Corral some help".  Boy, I'm going to freaking explode if we pass on the top QBs next year in favor of sticking it out and developing Corral!  I'm flipping off every mother trucker who try to make an argument for dude in that day, you non delaying gratification bastards!😆 

I will say about this year, it's hard to see us having a bad season with the upgrades we made on the O-line and adding D'onta Foreman to the mix.  Darnold will have to really suck all over the field for us to get another top 10 or even top 5 pick.  If we do end up missing the playoffs and have a mid 1st next year, I would trade that and a couple of more 1sts for a guy like Anthony Richardson.  That's just me.  I wouldn't waste any time playing around with Matt Corral, and that's certainly the case if we are top 5.

You lost me at Anthony Richardson. What has that dude done except look good in a uniform? Seriously, he’s barely even thrown for 600 yards and has thrown 6TDs to 5INT. What about him makes you excited? Again, other than looking good in pads? You lose credibility talking down Corral when in  the same breath talk about Florida’s backup QB last year. 

The only ways to secure a franchise QB:

Have a top pick or be willing to give up a lot to get one (still doesn't always work)

Trade multiple firsts for a known entity (obviously, you can't always land your guy)

Take lots of swings and hopefully hit on something eventually.

now we're resigned to option #3. They aren't going to pass up a top QB just because they just spent a third on one. (before anyone brings up Fields, they obviously didn't view him as a top prospect, and at this point we don't know if they were right or not)

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

A year ago “Pass on Fields: tank for Howell/Rattler” was a thing.

Now this upcoming class apparently has 5 1st ballot hall of famers in it. 

No one has a damn clue. 

Hell last years class was QB rich and they all started their careers looking like ass. 

Regarding Corral, his footspeed, mobility, throwing angles, release, velocity, short and mid accuracy, pocket movement…he excels at all of this. 

Does that mean he will pan out? Nope. But talent is there unless you choose not to see it. 

Howell, Rattler, Corral, Willis, Strong, hell, even Slovis and Purdy were all talked up.  It truly is amazing how it evolves within the span of one college football season.  

Right now, the train is Stroud, Young, Levis, Richardson, McCall, Van Dyke (and likely a few more like Haener, Jurk, etc.)

Richardson could return to school, Levis and McCall are ones that could bloom up or fizzle, Haener & Young are smaller.  Stroud is an OSU at the end of the day.  I can see it quickly changing; hell maybe at the end of the year, Van Dyke and Levis are the obvious 1A and 1B and Stroud decides to start a Christmas tree farm in Ohio.  

I'd rather get hyped for Corral and see what he's got because college football is going to be a roller coaster with this QB market.

• Pie 2

31 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

A year ago “Pass on Fields: tank for Howell/Rattler” was a thing.

Now this upcoming class apparently has 5 1st ballot hall of famers in it. 

No one has a damn clue. 

Hell last years class was QB rich and they all started their careers looking like ass. 

Regarding Corral, his footspeed, mobility, throwing angles, release, velocity, short and mid accuracy, pocket movement…he excels at all of this. 

Does that mean he will pan out? Nope. But talent is there unless you choose not to see it. 

Last year we traded for Darnold.  He was essentially our QB pick of last year.  Of course if we had the top pick or 2nd pick last year, I would have drafted Lawrence or Wilson.  Wasn't too high on Fields myself at the time.

If I compare those guys college highlights with Corral's, there are things in Lawrence's game and Wilson's game I like.  From their throwing stance and form, I say, "Yeah, they look good".  I just don't see that at all from Corral's game.  I just see a regular college QB with him, another guy.  My take is certainly not a professional criticism, it's not polished.  However, I don't think it's biased either.  I honestly don't see much of anything in his game.

Edited by Matthias

27 minutes ago, SazmoRanger said:

You lost me at Anthony Richardson. What has that dude done except look good in a uniform? Seriously, he’s barely even thrown for 600 yards and has thrown 6TDs to 5INT. What about him makes you excited? Again, other than looking good in pads? You lose credibility talking down Corral when in  the same breath talk about Florida’s backup QB last year. 

We'll see this year.  I project he's going to shoot toward the top.  I believe he has good form, one that translates well in the pros.  He has size, which is a positive.  Not too many Drew Brees and Russell Wilson sized dudes become elite in the NFL.  And even though Corral is around 6'2, the guy is scrawny.  As crazy as this sounds, I don't think this is something that can easily by fixed.  Can his frame handle a weight increase?

Edited by Matthias

5 minutes ago, davos said:

Howell, Rattler, Corral, Willis, Strong, hell, even Slovis and Purdy were all talked up.  It truly is amazing how it evolves within the span of one college football season.  

Right now, the train is Stroud, Young, Levis, Richardson, McCall, Van Dyke (and likely a few more like Haener, Jurk, etc.)

Richardson could return to school, Levis and McCall are ones that could bloom up or fizzle, Haener & Young are smaller.  Stroud is an OSU at the end of the day.  I can see it quickly changing; hell maybe at the end of the year, Van Dyke and Levis are the obvious 1A and 1B and Stroud decides to start a Christmas tree farm in Ohio.  

I'd rather get hyped for Corral and see what he's got because college football is going to be a roller coaster with this QB market.

Yeah it’s unpredictable. The future mystery is always more enticing than the current prospect. There’s always something better. 

I think right now some of us are caught up on Corral being a 3rd round pick (being compared to Grier for example).

There are other factors at play here though. 

- Not many teams needed a QB

- Corral didn’t participate at the combine, and his pro day wasn’t well constructed.

- Corral got hurt in his bowl game (even if it was minor).

- Other positions were quite strong this year and deep (edge, corner, wr, oline)

- Weak QB class narrative was strong. Not just no clear number 1, but not many QB’s period. 

Like every draft, we will know in a few years. But it is insane to get Corral in the 3rd, and even crazier that Howell fell to the 5th (Regression in play, and to a point, being compared to Baker, who all of a sudden the league thinks is trash, didn’t help him either).

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Matthias said:

We'll see this year.  I project he's going to shoot toward the top.  I believe he has good form, one that translates well in the pros.  He has size, which is a positive.  Not too many Drew Brees and Russell Wilson sized dudes become elite in the NFL.  And even though Corral is around 6'2, the guy is scrawny.  As crazy as this sounds, I don't think this is something that can easily by fixed.  Can his frame handle a weight increase?

Corrals body type is very similar to Wilson, who you said you would have drafted top 2. 

So is his size an issue or not?

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Corrals body type is very similar to Wilson, who you said you would have drafted top 2. 

So is his size an issue or not?

Well again, body size is not my only issue with Corral.  I like Wilson's game coming out of BYU.  I liked his throwing motion and overall frame.  I would have drafted Wilson on that.  As for Corral, again I'm meh on his game.  I don't think that will translate well.