• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nick Foles

Cdparr7

I think our best bet for Corral’s development and potentially leadership for the locker room would be to sign Foles.

Foles had a similar skill set as Corral and while his career has been up and down there have been more highs than lows. 

Foles is a better day 1 starter than Darnold. Corral likely won’t be ready by week 1 or even week 10. I really don’t think throwing him out there like Fewell did Grier his rookie year is going improve his development or build confidence. 

I think letting Foles compete (Almost certain he will win) with Darnold and placing Darnold as the back up is the best option for Corral’s future.

You also shouldn’t have to worry about giving up resources like you would for Jimmy or Baker.

Thoughts?

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 4

I would just cut Darnold outright in this scenario. There is absolutely nothing to gain in having him around a young QB and you can tell by the body language of the front office he would have already been gone if they had their way.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Similar skill set?  Foles is very immobile and has poor pocket awareness.  As a vet for leadership?  Sure?  As someone who can teach Matt the ropes?  Nah…

Foles ran a rpo system to perfection dam near he’s had the skill set he has the knowledge if we can split Sams money with someone anyone in a trade (highly unlikely) I’d do it in a heartbeat. He’s a better starter hands down until Matt’s ready to be thrown to the wolves. 

• Beer 1

i wouldn't hate it if we could find some way to unload sammy and esp. his contract. 

it would be good to have a derek anderson type "older brother" for MC like DA was for Cam and if we can't get Cam to do it, Foles would be fine enough.

• Beer 2

34 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

I think our best bet for Corral’s development and potentially leadership for the locker room would be to sign Foles.

Foles had a similar skill set as Corral and while his career has been up and down there have been more highs than lows. 

Foles is a better day 1 starter than Darnold. Corral likely won’t be ready by week 1 or even week 10. I really don’t think throwing him out there like Fewell did Grier his rookie year is going improve his development or build confidence. 

I think letting Foles compete (Almost certain he will win) with Darnold and placing Darnold as the back up is the best option for Corral’s future.

You also shouldn’t have to worry about giving up resources like you would for Jimmy or Baker.

Thoughts?

Wouldn’t hate it. I want Corral to have every opportunity to succeed 

Darnold's contract makes it unlikely he is cut unless Macadoo deems him completely useless (which i know many of us would). He will probably start the season as QB#1. Corral will most likely get the chance to sit and watch and maybe learn "What not to do?"

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, frankw said:

I would just cut Darnold outright in this scenario. There is absolutely nothing to gain in having him around a young QB and you can tell by the body language of the front office he would have already been gone if they had their way.

I've been kicking this idea around in my head for a bit now.

IF we add another vet QB, then what's the point in keeping Darnold around?

We're on the hook for his money anyway, it's already counting against the books. If we bring in another vet QB it is to "compete" for the starting job, and let's face it, the vet QB would win that battle handily vs. Darnold. 

At that point, the new vet QB is the starter and Corral is going to be learning under him. New vet QB will put the team in a better position to win this year than Darnold ever would, and Corral would be the backup to learn under him.

Why keep Darnold? Trade him for pennies on the dollar, or outright release him. It's a sunk cost either way, why keep him around if you KNOW he isn't the long term answer?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

Thoughts?

I like Foles and he's a FA, no  trades.  If they can get he money right, I say go for it.

Edited by poundaway
  • Pie 1

46 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I've been kicking this idea around in my head for a bit now.

IF we add another vet QB, then what's the point in keeping Darnold around?

We're on the hook for his money anyway, it's already counting against the books. If we bring in another vet QB it is to "compete" for the starting job, and let's face it, the vet QB would win that battle handily vs. Darnold. 

At that point, the new vet QB is the starter and Corral is going to be learning under him. New vet QB will put the team in a better position to win this year than Darnold ever would, and Corral would be the backup to learn under him.

Why keep Darnold? Trade him for pennies on the dollar, or outright release him. It's a sunk cost either way, why keep him around if you KNOW he isn't the long term answer?

My sentiments exactly and what I've been saying all along.

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

• Pie 3

Great backup QB, sure. But I don't think he's a great option as a bridge starter. Prefer Fitzpatrick of available QBs. But it'll almost certainly just be Sam, or hope that Corral wins the starting job. If we plan on just handing Corral game 1 start then I'd consider bringing in Foles to back him up and mentor him and just release Sam. But I wouldn't want Foles starting for us.

• Beer 2