• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corral college tape vs. Darnold college tape

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

opened this thread hoping the work had already be done for me to view. 

Haha well some of my thoughts:

What jumps off the page is the difference in release. Corrals is one of the fastest I’ve seen, and I agree with some who think it might help him to lengthen it a bit.

Darnolds swings the ball a yard behind his body on the windup.

They both have a great feel for evading pressure and making plays on the run, although Corral is a more natural athlete while Sam is more lumbering, but Sam has more than enough ability to be effective evading pressure. 

I can see why Sam turned the hall over a lot on college because he kinda was gunslinging it back there. He had balls for sure. I don’t know if it got beaten out of him with the Jets, but it seems like the confidence is shot, but the turnovers are still an issue. 

You could live with turnovers if the magic stayed, but he seems to play neutered ball now with turnovers from hesitation. He’s definitely in his head now, and thinking instead of playing. 

I have more thoughts but need to get back to work lol. 

• Pie 2

42 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

I can see why Sam turned the hall over a lot on college because he kinda was gunslinging it back there. He had balls for sure. I don’t know if it got beaten out of him with the Jets, but it seems like the confidence is shot, but the turnovers are still an issue. 

Teddy had a more accurate deep ball, and that's saying something because he wasn't that accurate deep and he didn't trust it or throw it that often.

Sam's just not a starting NFL QB.  Rhule thought he could coach him up. 

You can take a player out of the jets, but you can't take the jets out of a player.

• Beer 1

Since I didn’t follow Darnold when he was in college, it’s hard to view tape now without bias based on how he has turned out. 

Essentially, Corral’s tape looks head and shoulders better to me. 

I know Darnold has 1 1/2-2 inches and 10-15 pounds on Corral, but I don’t see a better QB at the college level. 

Darnold was younger too. I’m sure that was a factor. 

• Pie 1

Sam currently has a processing speed issue. When he sees a man open, it's as if he needs to take another little look around like a senior citizen backing out a parking space. It manifests as this pause, or yip, so to speak. I haven't seen whether or not he had it college or if 3 years of getting pummeled on the Jets (plus one year here) caused it, but I doubt it can be coached out at this point.

Edited by Khaki Lackey
  • Beer 5

2 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Sam currently has a processing speed issue. When he sees a man open, it's as if he needs to take another little look around like a senior citizen backing out a parking space. It manifests as this pause, or yip, so to speak. I haven't seen whether or not he had it college or if 3 years of getting pummeled on the Jets (plus one year here) caused it, but I doubt it can be coached out at this point.

Willingness to pull the trigger is what jumps out about college Darnold vs NFL Darnold. 

He most certainly has lost confidence. 

• Pie 1

Both were really underdeveloped coming out. Corral doesn't have the same mechanical issues that Sam had though. Sam has done virtually nothing to correct the issues he had coming out of college and kind of regressed his final year. Corral has progressed since last year. They aren't really comparable honestly, Sam is this big strong physical athlete where as Matt is smaller and doesn't quite have the same physical tools, but is a much cleaner quarterback already. Matt's biggest hill he will need to overcome is his progression from a major RPO system and his own physical limitations. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Khaki Lackey said:

IMO this is a great analysis and analogy. Sam is too unsure. He hesitates and does not have confidence in his reads. Hopefully Matt C. can come in full of blind optimism and confidence commonly found in youth (no offense to you young bucks) and our updated OL can help him keep it, so he won't be too afraid to pull the trigger.

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 1