• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Simms - Matt Corral is the top QB of the draft class

NAS

The way he talks about Corral, the sidearm ability and throwing off balance while still slinging it with great accuracy, being agile and still getting his feet set, etc., it sounds kinda like Rodgers’ play style.  Not that Corral will be anywhere near that good, but they sound similar in how they play.  Can’t wait to see the kid in action.  Simms is probably the best out there out of the mainstream guys with his QB draft rankings 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

I've listened to Simm's evaluation of Corral and the other QB prospects from this year and his assessment is pretty spot on.  Overall it sounds like Corral has the physical potential to be a great QB and has shown evidence through is game tape. At this point it's just if Corral can put it all together. I want to know more about the kid's intangibles, Darnold has the physical ability to be a great QB, but he lacks the intangibles. Tom Brady has the physical ability but is a fierce competitor and demands  perfection and that's what separates these QBs. 

My expectation is that if Darnold stinks it up within first 4 games, let Corral start so we can see what we have in him. If he plays well, then we'll be out of position to draft the top QBs next year, if he stinks it up we'll likely have a top 5 pick. 

• Pie 1

The more i look at next year's qb's, the happier i am we grabbed Corral late in the third. Sure Young and Stroud look like stud qb's, but they wouldn't be on the board for us.  After that it drops off pretty steep. That could change of course, but there is no guarantee that 2023 draft is the qb haul everyone is expecting. Taking a qb this year gets us a year head start on development too. 

• Pie 6

2 hours ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

I've listened to Simm's evaluation of Corral and the other QB prospects from this year and his assessment is pretty spot on.  Overall it sounds like Corral has the physical potential to be a great QB and has shown evidence through is game tape. At this point it's just if Corral can put it all together. I want to know more about the kid's intangibles, Darnold has the physical ability to be a great QB, but he lacks the intangibles. Tom Brady has the physical ability but is a fierce competitor and demands  perfection and that's what separates these QBs. 

My expectation is that if Darnold stinks it up within first 4 games, let Corral start so we can see what we have in him. If he plays well, then we'll be out of position to draft the top QBs next year, if he stinks it up we'll likely have a top 5 pick. 

I think Corrall is more fiery and competitive than Darnol.  He also seems to embrace his role as a leader where Darnold just wants to be "one of the guys".

• Pie 3

really good interview with Corral here. Touches on mindset as a leader, being a bridge between the players and the coaches, how he dealt with games like Arkansas in 2020 where he had 6(?) INTs that happened because of them adapting what they did to him and other teams copying what Ark. did and his adjustment to their adjustment. Also, his mindset when he faced them again the next year. 

Really good stuff in here that gives some insight into his thinking as a QB and leader. The guy is smart and serious about what he's doing.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, PandaMan said:

The way he talks about Corral, the sidearm ability and throwing off balance while still slinging it with great accuracy, being agile and still getting his feet set, etc., it sounds kinda like Rodgers’ play style.  Not that Corral will be anywhere near that good, but they sound similar in how they play.  Can’t wait to see the kid in action.  Simms is probably the best out there out of the mainstream guys with his QB draft rankings 

There was an interview where I saw that Corral has studied Rodger's style of play in particular

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/sports/sports-seriously/2022/04/28/2022-nfl-draft-matt-corral-talks-expectations-ahead-draft/9576903002/

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

5 hours ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Also keep in mind that Simms is pretty open about not really any of these guys being first round caliber(or borderline).

I do think Corral is definitely top two of the class, though. I agree with him on that.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, NAS said:

I think Corrall is more fiery and competitive than Darnol.  He also seems to embrace his role as a leader where Darnold just wants to be "one of the guys".

How hard is it to be more fiery than Darnold? I bet he even delivered the "You'll regret trading me" line to the Jets in a monotone voice.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Also keep in mind that Simms is pretty open about not really any of these guys being first round caliber(or borderline).

I do think Corral is definitely top two of the class, though. I agree with him on that.

just out of curiosity, who else would you have up there with him? 

• Beer 1