• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Simms - Matt Corral is the top QB of the draft class

NAS

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Burrow just didn't really impress me other than his crazy high level of intangibles. He just seemed like a gamer more than anything.

100% inaccurate. 

I still think Pickett is the odds on favorite to be the best of this class but I also view the chances of any hits as pretty low. 

Just curious, but how did Joe Burrow not impress you in 2019 with 65 touchdowns and 6000 yards in the SECw +Clemson? 

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Also keep in mind that Simms is pretty open about not really any of these guys being first round caliber(or borderline).

I do think Corral is definitely top two of the class, though. I agree with him on that.

You sure? In the video in the OP he talks about Corral being Top-10 worthy. And he tweeted after we drafted Corral that he was “Round 1 worthy”.

https://twitter.com/CSimmsQB/status/1520239470112808961?s=20&t=LbBMJkeM0zSJ6xyaO9ZJ3Q

37 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Mainly because college stats are a pretty terrible predictor of NFL success.

If you watched Burrow in 2019, the tape backed up the stats. Sure, LSU’s offense was stacked, but without Burrow, it doesn’t perform the way that it did. I’ve never seen a more confident college QB at attacking deep down the field and putting deep balls exactly where they needed to go for his WR, and only his WR, to come down with them. And often on the move either as part of a designed roll out or as part of a scramble drill. Kid was 100% can’t miss as an NFL prospect IMO. 

1 hour ago, woahfraze said:

If you watched Burrow in 2019, the tape backed up the stats. Sure, LSU’s offense was stacked, but without Burrow, it doesn’t perform the way that it did. I’ve never seen a more confident college QB at attacking deep down the field and putting deep balls exactly where they needed to go for his WR, and only his WR, to come down with them. And often on the move either as part of a designed roll out or as part of a scramble drill. Kid was 100% can’t miss as an NFL prospect IMO. 

It's hard for me to ever jump on the "can't miss" bandwagon for an NFL prospect. I think I just held the talent around him and the one year wonder thing too much against him, versus evaluating him on his traits fairly. I will say I thought his intangibles were maybe the best I have seen since probably Russell Wilson.

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It's hard for me to ever jump on the "can't miss" bandwagon for an NFL prospect. I think I just held the talent around him and the one year wonder thing too much against him, versus evaluating him on his traits fairly. I will say I thought his intangibles were maybe the best I have seen since probably Russell Wilson.

Dak too. Dak has no business being as “good” as he is 

25 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Lol. I saw him up close in person as a college player so I can't as easily discount his success. Now, has he succeeded my expectations? For sure.

Was in college at state when he was there. Absolutely unreal intangibles, guy is just a leader and baller. Never thought he’d turn into what he is now though. If he was like 15% more talented he’d be the best QB in the NFL

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, mc52beast said:

I don’t understand how guys who sucked at playing the position all of a sudden become experts on the position.

Knowing and doing are two different things. I can tell you exactly how to do something in my line of work and even explain why it's done like that. But when I do it myself, it comes out ugly.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3. MATT CORRAL, Mississippi (6-1 ½, 215, no 40, 1-2): Fourth-year junior. “It’s the tale of two Corrals,” one scout said. “The first few years at Ole Miss he was an absolute (off-field mess). Then the back half he’s the greatest leader and the toughest guy they’ve ever had. (Ole Miss) Lane Kiffin called him the best quarterback in the country. He’s in a system where basically it’s all predetermined. He throws every ball on a line. He doesn’t have a lot of touch.” Started for 2 ½ years, finishing with a passer rating of 106.5. Hands were 9 5/8. “I’d rather have Corral than Willis,” another scout said. “There’s a body quickness that I like. He’s got a very fast release. I know the system bothers some people in terms of a lot of RPO, but there’s elements of that in the league. He can have some early success if he gets in an offense that allows him to throw it around the lot a little bit. He throws it well enough. I’m more worried about him getting hurt. He’s not a big dude.” Rushed 334 times in 37 games (27 starts), gained 1,338 (4.0) and scored 18 TDs. Departed his first high school in California and went elsewhere as a senior after getting into a physical altercation with the son of hockey great Wayne Gretzky. Wonderlic of 15 was the lowest among the top 12 at the position. “He has the biggest bust potential,” a third scout said. “By far. He’s got a lot of off-the-field poo. He’s little. He gets hurt a lot … He’s not as big of a dickhead as this guy was, but there’s a lot of Johnny Manziel to this guy. Party boy. The team likes him more than they respect who he is overall because he’s a baller on Saturday. I wouldn’t bet on that guy. He plays in a backyard football scheme and doesn’t have to do much mentally. He’s at the line of scrimmage with one read.” His speed was estimated by a scout at 4.82. From Ventura, Calif.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/07/pete-carroll-drew-lock-would-have-been-the-first-quarterback-picked-in-this-years-draft/

I'm looking forward to seeing him this year but I am not going to get overhyped or fanatical about it all. It's just not fair to put that on the kid at this point. I am very excited to not be thinking about Sam or PJ. Either way, everything else is a bonus to me at this point. 

• Beer 1