• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the Browns-Panthers Baker Mayfield Trade Fell Apart, per Report

27 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

The Rams had to give up multiple first round picks to get the Lions to take on Goff's salary, given the current situation, do the Browns seriously believe anyone is going to take Baker on and pay anything above the minimum salary of that contract?

I love how poorly they handled this, very Browns like, in the end I think they have to cut him and get nothing for him after all this.

It's pretty amazing how poorly they played their hand. If they pay 60+% of his salary, aren't they coming out ahead? They really read the room wrong.

• Pie 2

15 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Even if Corral isn't it, Neither is Mayfield, and Corral is a hell of a lot cheaper. 

I really liked Baker on a one year, cheap deal but Corral is so much cheaper. Baker might be a much better player but the penalty for missing on Corral is basically next to nothing.

Much smarter move, even if I hated the 3rd round pick trade.

• Pie 3

41 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

The Rams had to give up multiple first round picks to get the Lions to take on Goff's salary, given the current situation, do the Browns seriously believe anyone is going to take Baker on and pay anything above the minimum salary of that contract?

I love how poorly they handled this, very Browns like, in the end I think they have to cut him and get nothing for him after all this.

I do not think they will cut him and pay the salary. If no trade partners are found they may do like the Texans did last year with Watson. Keep him, but apart  from the team. Some team may have a major injury and need a quarterback before the season is over. 

27 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I really liked Baker on a one year, cheap deal but Corral is so much cheaper. Baker might be a much better player but the penalty for missing on Corral is basically next to nothing.

Much smarter move, even if I hated the 3rd round pick trade.

It's not like they actually engineered their strategy to "steal" Corral. But if he turns out to be what everybody thought he would be we have a first rounder franchise QB on a third rounder contract. Dumb luck, but the opportunity to win games and actually pay your players or free agents New England style is there.

Will they get out of their own way and just let it happen? I don't know. They've already been swindled by Rhule and Darnold.

Corral is the better option. Much more upside. More dynamic. No NFL tape on him yet so you kind of had a head start, but are they smart enough to take advantage or are they going to play the 19mill NFL proven backup QB?

I think you know what they'll try to do. People want to coddle Matt. Matt is a f'n baller and wants those reps at starter. He's a first round grade QB anybody with a brain would understand that he's automatically THE best option at QB to win.

Yeah he's on a cheap contract too. Let's eat!

Edited by rippadonn
  • Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Panthers handled this and the draft just right IMO.  Really hope Corral works out

The penalty for whiffing on Corral is relatively small. The "desperation" penalty for Baker is much more.

I say this as a guy that supported a Baker 1 year deal.