Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Why the Browns-Panthers Baker Mayfield Trade Fell Apart, per Report


Recommended Posts

Not sure I get the hate for Mayfield. He was really good in 2020 and then he was hurt in 2021. Knowing Mayfields career to this point, he will come back stronger elsewhere. Surprised Detroit hasn't made a move for him, or Miami. I think he would be much better down there with the weapons they have than Tua.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard to celebrate not pulling the trigger when we should never have considered him in the first place after doing their research on him. Everyone knew the Browns were over him before the Watson trade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CPcavedweller said:

Not sure I get the hate for Mayfield. He was really good in 2020 and then he was hurt in 2021. Knowing Mayfields career to this point, he will come back stronger elsewhere. Surprised Detroit hasn't made a move for him, or Miami. I think he would be much better down there with the weapons they have than Tua.

Same.  It’s the fuging Browns.  They literally went 1-31 over a two year span, drafted Baker, and make the playoffs within a few years WHILE ALSO getting a playoff win over their Steelers rivals.  Not to mention he broke the rookie TD passing record his first year.  Any other QB from that draft would’ve flopped big time with them imo.  
 

Dude’s whole persona is having a chip on his shoulder; he’ll come out of this better than the Browns after it’s all said and done

 

edit - Baker would’ve been an upgrade over anybody on this roster, but I’m glad we did what we did with getting Corral.  Cheaper, younger, more upside.  We’ll see how it plays out 

Edited by PandaMan
  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

Same.  It’s the fuging Browns.  They literally went 1-31 over a two year span, drafted Baker, and make the playoffs within a few years WHILE ALSO getting a playoff win over their Steelers rivals.  Not to mention he broke the rookie TD passing record his first year.  Any other QB from that draft would’ve flopped big time with them imo.  
 

Dude’s whole persona is having a chip on his shoulder; he’ll come out of this better than the Browns after it’s all said and done

 

edit - Baker would’ve been an upgrade over anybody on this roster, but I’m glad we did what we did with getting Corral.  Cheaper, younger, more upside.  We’ll see how it plays out 

There is still a chance he is a Panther when it's all said and done, if he is though you can probably kiss a top 2023 QB prospect good bye, I'd that what your hoping for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Stuart Smith said:

I do not think they will cut him and pay the salary. If no trade partners are found they may do like the Texans did last year with Watson. Keep him, but apart  from the team. Some team may have a major injury and need a quarterback before the season is over. 

After everything that has happened, there is no way they can keep him on the team and keep him separate from the actual team during the season, particularly when/if Watson gets suspended for at least 6 games to start the year.

Totally different scenario than to Watson last year, they HAD to have him on their active roster and had no interest in actually playing him given the situation.  

Baker is a good dude who did nothing wrong, the team just screwed up the situation.  They can't keep him around, pay him $20 million, and just keep him away from the rest of the team, it would be a BAD look for the franchise in the eyes of other players around the league, not going to help attract people to want to play for you in the future when that's how you deal with a situation that the team caused.

I'd say literally 0% chance he is on their roster come Week 1, they're paying his salary regardless if he plays or not, they won't keep that distraction around come the actual season, if they can't trade him by then, he'll get cut after the last preseason game.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

They chose him over trading for Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield when the Browns refused to pay more than $3.5 million of Mayfield’s $18.86 million contract, according to a league source.

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/36514/carolina-panthers-roster-review-rookie-qb-matt-corral-ready-if-sam-darnold-struggles

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

They chose him over trading for Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield when the Browns refused to pay more than $3.5 million of Mayfield’s $18.86 million contract, according to a league source.

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/36514/carolina-panthers-roster-review-rookie-qb-matt-corral-ready-if-sam-darnold-struggles

I like this quote

One slip by Darnold and fans will be screaming for Corral, who last season led an Ole Miss team that hadn’t had a winning season since 2015 to a 10-3 record and a trip to the Sugar Bowl.

Its so true.  The writing is on the wall.  Darnold knows it.  The question is, will he get beaten out in camp by the rookie?  One can only hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...