• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Inside the Draft Room

Mr. Scot

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Honestly, I think it's the running game angle when it comes to Ickey. If you get good blocking for CMC and Chuba, you're going to have a dominant running game (surely CMC can't keep getting injured, right?).

Solid running games take a lot of pressure of QBs, but also off of defenses and head coaches especially. The proper guy at left tackle (and at other spots along the line) can make that happen immediately. And if Icky was the #3 guy at pass blocking among those three candidates, he was still miles ahead of the other choices in that skill set. And he is still trainable, he hasn't hit his ceiling.

That practice thing had one other gem that stood out for Icky I think. He was out there just hitting and getting it in the humid June heat of Raleigh. Icky is going to do fine in the same stuff this summer in Charlotte, especially since he's been practicing in it for his whole life. (Yes, the other two are also Southern raised, but I'm on a roll here, bear with me.)

Totally agree.  We don't "have" a QB right now, and the best way to win games in todays NFL would be to play nasty defense, and have an all out unstoppable run game.

I'm 100% thrilled he's a Panther...I thought he would go No. 1 overall due to the same reasons we coveted him.  Take pressure off of Trevor, let Travis get his wheels rolling in the NFL after a terrible injury, and solidify a top tier position for 10 years.

I'd just like to hear from a GM that had one of the other guys rated higher.  Dude seems to love football, and is extremely smart...the pass blocking issues just seem like they can be taught to a guy like that.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, vorbis said:

the draft edition of Panthers Huddle came out today, and at the very end they teased the upcoming Panthers Confidential, so have no fear, it's coming

That Panthers Confidential stuff is too neutered, or at least really turned that way last year. Maybe they'll take a different tact this year but last year's stuff was not very interesting.

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Here's a detail we hadn't seen before...

Fitterer's not going to get into specific names, but Friday night, there were conversations about more than one veteran quarterback they could have acquired in trade.

Probably just Baker and Garropolo

47 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

It concerns me, to be honest. It's out of step with the rest of the article. 

Fitterer: "If I had the #1 pick I'd take Ekwuno".

Also Fitterer: "Ekwuno unexpectedly fell to #6 and I chanced my arm at a trade, knowing he wouldn't be available when I picked again". 

Same mistake we made last year. I don't know who the OT we were targeting in the 2nd round was, but I'm inferring, from the relief in Tepper's voice when he made the Draft call and the way they handled his rookie season, that it wasn't Brady Christensen. 

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate how Fitterer has accumulated picks and moved around the Draft board, but sometimes he gets a little too cute when the answer is staring him in the face. 

That jumped off the page at me, and us staying on the clock for so long was....ummmm

My wife was literally digging her nails into my arm saying "please take Icky, please take Icky", 'why are they taking so long",  "what the hell????", "he's a State kid, take him".  

Finally it was over.

P.S. My wife couldn't have cared less who we took, she was cheering this on knowing that if it was someone else I was going to quit the Panthers and she wouldn't get to go to Munich or London next year if we get to go.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

That seems like the dumbest of ideas.... its not like its a billion dollar organization or anything... 

Well, they were building a sweet new draft room in RH, but……

9 hours ago, YourLastThought said:

I always enjoy reading your strange responses but I can never tell when you are being serious and when you are not. You make the huddle enjoyable regardless, I don't care how weird you are. That being said, you are one strange human being.

Thank you, I honestly take this as a compliment 

• Beer 1

21 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Weren't any reports on Garoppolo though, just Mayfield.

If Mayfield brings that diva crap here Corral will kick his ass.

I'm starting to love this kid and I haven't even seen him in a Panthers uniform yet.

• Pie 1

23 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Also Fitterer: "Ekwuno unexpectedly fell to #6 and I chanced my arm at a trade, knowing he wouldn't be available when I picked again". 

Same mistake we made last year. I don't know who the OT we were targeting in the 2nd round was, but I'm inferring, from the relief in Tepper's voice when he made the Draft call and the way they handled his rookie season, that it wasn't Brady Christensen. 

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate how Fitterer has accumulated picks and moved around the Draft board, but sometimes he gets a little too cute when the answer is staring him in the face. 

Good observation but I'm not mad at that. They were cool with any of the three tackles and would have still landed one of them with the #9 barring something crazy. Ickey clearly wasn't so far ahead of the others that they would scoff at getting Neal/Cross + picks.

On 5/6/2022 at 3:13 PM, OldhamA said:

every tackle in the second round sucked last year so I'm glad we accumulated picks 

11 minutes ago, SOJA said:

every tackle in the second round sucked last year so I'm glad we accumulated picks 

I wanted to stay put and draft Eichenberg. Welllllllll short story- dolpins were the only team with a worse OL than panthers. Eichenberg was drafted by the phins and started some.....not at LT like I wanted....he played LG and else where... he rated lower than Johnny Miller....

Once I seen the trade back hauls, like in the 5th...I understood and agreed. Just took a day or so, I was not use to that strategy. 

• Pie 1