• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Corral vs the Old GOAT

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

I like it. I'm not quite there with my Corral optimism, but I'm feeling pretty good that he'll be good 

Me neither. I'm cautiously optimistic but I'm waiting before making any judgements but I did notice similarities with Montana and I remembered he was drafted later too. When I double checked I saw that they were almost the same pick and both were the 4th QB taken and they were almost the same size. When I saw that I thought I had to write something up and talk about something new. I hear people talk about Brady and Wilson being the exceptions but nobody ever mentions Montana so I thought it might be something people didn't generally know. It was a long time ago. I remember him but many folks here weren't born yet. 

Edited by Panthers Rhule

2 hours ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Matt Coral is a 6'2", 212 lb. QB drafted in the 3rd round (pick 94th, 4th QB) by our beloved Carolina Panthers. Most of us will think of another 3rd round QB who did pretty well and has a connection to our super star GM, Mr. Fitty. But some of you may not know that he actually has more in common with another 3rd QB who did pretty well. I'm talking about the Old GOAT, before Brady, no other than Joe Montana. That's right, Joe Montana was a 3rd round pick too.

Joe Montana was 6'2", 200 lb. QB taken in 1979 in the 3rd round (pick 82nd, 4th QB) by the 49ers.

Scouting Report:

Before the 1979 draft, one scouting combine rated Montana a 6½ (out of 9). The report said: "He can thread the needle, but usually goes with his primary receiver and forces the ball to him even when he's in a crowd. He's a gutty, gambling, cocky type. Doesn't have great tools, but could eventually start."

Doesn't this sound a lot like someone else we've all heard of?

Matt Corral

Strengths

• Natural throwing talent.
  • Accurate to all areas of the field.
  • Aggressive in attacking defenses deep.

But the similarities don't stop there. Joe Montana became the Old GOAT because he was the perfect QB to run Walsh's new West Coast Offense. Our OC McAdoo also runs a West Coast Offense.

It's been reported that Corral was McAdoo's guy. Does he see a little of Montana in Corral? They are quite similar in many ways. Same size. Both are extremely accurate with quick decision making and releases. Both are confident and willing to throw the ball.

Is Matt Corral the next Joe Montana? Probably not. Could he be the perfect QB to run McAdoo's offense? It's quite possible. Maybe he won't be the next Joe Montana but maybe he can be the first Matt Corral and hopefully write a pretty good story for himself and our beloved Carolina Panthers as well.

So now we think that the kid is going to be Montana?

Sanford And Son Reaction GIF

• Flames 3

Feels weird having drafted a QB who’s considered great in athleticism, arm strength, and accuracy by the mainstream folks.  People dogged on Cam’s accuracy but he wasn’t near as bad as the pundits made him out to be.  He won MVP with only 2/3 of those according to them.  But having all 3 skills clearly visible 👀 I ate too many gummies after work man, I’m so stoked to see this dude throw the ball 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

I like it. I'm not quite there with my Corral optimism, but I'm feeling pretty good that he'll be good 

The more I read up on the guy the more I like him. Whether he will be a good or great qb I don't have a clue. But I'm becoming a fan of his regardless.  I hope he does great myself. 

• Pie 2

I’m no scouting expert by any means, but there’s something about the way the ball comes off some QB’s hand that just looks NFL pro. That effortless snap. Cam had it. Corral has it. Jimmy Clausen never did. It doesn’t mean he’s going to be great. Hell, Phillip rivers made a nice career with a Teeebow wind up. Point is, Jimmy Clausen never had it, Corral does. I’m excited to see him play. 

14 hours ago, panther252 said:

If we're comparing niners QBs he's closer to Steve Young than Joe Montana imo. 

He was drafted in the first round pick 11. He was supposed to be good. I chose to write this post because of the size and draft position similarities as well as their evaluations and characters. I think that because they are both smaller and drafted 3rd round and both were the 4th qbs taken makes it more interesting. 

Edited by Panthers Rhule