• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte “unlikely” to contribute taxpayer money for new Panthers headquarters

More info on Rob Walton from Albert Breer...

From Lennon Theus (@broncolen30): Who is the frontrunner or favorite to purchase the Broncos?

Lennon, Walmart heir Rob Walton looms as the favorite. He’s there this week, and a quick Google search showed his net worth to be somewhere between $65 billion and $70 billion, which would make him the NFL’s wealthiest owner, surpassing Seahawks owner Jody Allen (who’s said to be in the $20 billion range), and second-wealthiest owner in North American pro sports, behind only Clippers owner Steve Ballmer. Per research from CEO World magazine last month, Walton’s the 16th-wealthiest man on the planet.

Which is all a long way of coloring the fact that, yes, yes, yes … NFL owners would want Walton in their club. And the fact that his family already has boots on the ground in the market—Walton’s brother-in-law, Rams owner Stan Kroenke, owns the NBA’s Nuggets and NHL’s Avalanche—only makes this call easier for the other owners.

Now, that does not mean it’s a slam dunk. The way Pat Bowlen’s will reads, the team has to go to the highest bidder, and someone could outbid Walton. But it won’t happen because Walton’s pockets aren’t deep enough, or through any lack of will from other owners. That’s for sure.

NFL Owners Would Love for Walmart Heir Rob Walton to Buy the Broncos

Despite the conversation being about richest owners, the article doesn't even mention David Tepper.

Guess he's old news 😐

The question is, how many legitimate alternative locations are there for Tepper to relocate the team to if he doesn’t get what he wants?

LA was the big one, that’s gone. Then there was Vegas, that’s gone. Those leverage points have gone and I don’t see other cities and markets having the same sway. 

I suppose St Louis, San Diego, and Oakland could all clamour for another opportunity, but frankly I don’t see them offering up big money to tempt a team. They all lost their teams for a reason. 

There’s candidates like Portland, San Antonio, and Salt Lake City that come up from time to time. But again, are they going to put up big money? I’m not convinced there’s the appetite for it.

Dallas’ mayor has been talking about a second team in Dallas, but I doubt Jerry Jones lets that happen. Same goes for somewhere like Chicago adding a second team, I can’t see the Bears letting it happen.

Only other option would be to look internationally like Toronto or Mexico City. Will they have the appetite to offer public money? I’m not sure. 

Personally I think the public money side of things needs to dry up. Teams should fund their stadiums privately with help from the league, not the taxpayer.

Just now, Mike2.0 said:

The question is, how many legitimate alternative locations are there for Tepper to relocate the team to if he doesn’t get what he wants?

LA was the big one, that’s gone. Then there was Vegas, that’s gone. Those leverage points have gone and I don’t see other cities and markets having the same sway. 

I suppose St Louis, San Diego, and Oakland could all clamour for another opportunity, but frankly I don’t see them offering up big money to tempt a team. They all lost their teams for a reason. 

There’s candidates like Portland, San Antonio, and Salt Lake City that come up from time to time. But again, are they going to put up big money? I’m not convinced there’s the appetite for it.

Dallas’ mayor has been talking about a second team in Dallas, but I doubt Jerry Jones lets that happen. Same goes for somewhere like Chicago adding a second team, I can’t see the Bears letting it happen.

Only other option would be to look internationally like Toronto or Mexico City. Will they have the appetite to offer public money? I’m not sure. 

Personally I think the public money side of things needs to dry up. Teams should fund their stadiums privately with help from the league, not the taxpayer.

London 

Most times when I check in on this place and scan the comments, it's hard to believe that this is a Panthers "fan" message board. On most days I see comments on who hates the owner and team the most, and where can he possibly relocate the team. Just an outside observation.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

2 minutes ago, 3838 said:

Most times when I check in on this place and scan the comments, it's hard to believe that this is a Panthers "fan" message board. On most days I see comments on who hates the owner and team the most, and where can he possibly relocate the team. Just an outside observation.

board got the whine disease about 6 months ago. plus 3 straight seasons of 5wins have killed the fan hearts/minds. 

tepper keeps making bad choice after bad choice, Im still hot over what he did to the long-time fans in the end zones. After that, our honeymoon was over. 

For me I thought the draft went about as good as possible, so that helped me cause I need a big shot of hope and got it. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

London 

It’s possible, but is it realistic that a roster of players and coaches would want to be located in London full time?How are the league going to deal with the travel? They can’t give a London based team an advantage by grouping games to minimise travel otherwise the league would need to do the same for other teams in the league to minimise high air miles. There’s plenty of other questions that come along with a London based team. At least Toronto and Mexico City are easier to travel. 

There is demand in Europe, but is there enough to warrant a team full time? I’m not sure. If there was, surely the Jaguars would have relocated by now considering their owners own Fulham FC in London? 

17 minutes ago, Mike2.0 said:

It’s possible, but is it realistic that a roster of players and coaches would want to be located in London full time?How are the league going to deal with the travel? They can’t give a London based team an advantage by grouping games to minimise travel otherwise the league would need to do the same for other teams in the league to minimise high air miles. There’s plenty of other questions that come along with a London based team. At least Toronto and Mexico City are easier to travel. 

There is demand in Europe, but is there enough to warrant a team full time? I’m not sure. If there was, surely the Jaguars would have relocated by now considering their owners own Fulham FC in London? 

What I heard was the league wants 3-4 teams overseas. That way when one visits they stay for 2.5-4 weeks and play all 3. Travel-wise its not any worse than east coast to west side type of plane rides. Give the 3-4 team more salary cap and form a large practice squad that every team can use(even the visiting teams). Plenty of hotels and shitty food...(Id bring my own personal food people...)

You know they want a global market. Jags have been rumored for 10 years to move there, (hate hate hate) add in the panthers and ________ . Well thats the three... Buffalo is currently going rounds with the local gov about wanting 600-700 million. For the longest it was a fairy-tails to me, but right now I would not to shocked if it happens within 5 years. No longer think its a 0% chance. 

I doubt the lower 48 states are in play, queen is a GREAT hot area.....but doesnt hold londons jock in terms of $$$$, numbers, and market. 

fyi panthers have big berlin group of followers. 

Edited by Basbear

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

What I heard was the league wants 3-4 teams overseas. That way when one visits they stay for 2.5-4 weeks and play all 3. Travel-wise its not any worse than east coast to west side type of plane rides. Give the 3-4 team more salary cap and form a large practice squad that every team can use(even the visiting teams). Plenty of hotels and shitty food...(Id bring my own personal food people...)

You know they want a global market. Jags have been rumored for 10 years to move there, (hate hate hate) add in the panthers and ________ . Well thats the three... Buffalo is currently going rounds with the local gov about wanting 600-700 million. For the longest it was a fairy-tails to me, but right now I would not to shocked if it happens within 5 years. No longer think its a 0% chance. 

I doubt the lower 48 states are in play, queen is a GREAT hot area.....but doesnt hold londons jock in terms of $$$$, numbers, and market. 

Bring the team here fug them pommies haha. The Australian Panthers sounds lovely haha

17 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

Bring the team here fug them pommies haha. The Australian Panthers sounds lovely haha

Like I said in the past, in your face laugh.......Nooow its a real possibility. Never under estimate the influence of money. Sydney has EVERY thing a NFL team could want, including a great already made stadium. 

Short aussie story- every aussie Ive met wanted to be a American. And my god the women are TOTALLY different about sex than american women. Bless them. Working up in lower NYC area, I may have broke one of the records. Just took the the sound of my voice and she leaned in and whispered that with more lewd words. They didnt play games and it was the most casual deal.......It mind-fuged me til this day.  

Edited by Basbear

2 hours ago, 3838 said:

Welcome to the Huddle