• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2022 Pass Protection Expectations

Evil Hurney

I’d be happy with the 20th ranked pass blocking team but damn that’s shocking I was not expecting 9th. If we’re actually a good pass blocking team I’d be so curious to see how Darnold actually looks. Imagine Darnold looks good, ik everyone wants to get rid of him but man he could at the very least net us a 3rd round comp pick if he signs a solid contract elsewhere.

Just now, shaq said:

I’d be happy with the 20th ranked pass blocking team but damn that’s shocking I was not expecting 9th. If we’re actually a good pass blocking team I’d be so curious to see how Darnold actually looks. Imagine Darnold looks good, ik everyone wants to get rid of him but man he could at the very least net us a 3rd round comp pick if he signs a solid contract elsewhere.

How can people buy into this myth? Go back and watch Darnold. A lot of his worst play comes when he has good protection and time to survey the field. He plays well when his first read is open or when he's forced to dump it off to his checkdown due to immediate pressure. Sam with time to survey the field against decent coverage is usually a recipe for disaster. Better protection isn't going to fix his issues. He just doesn't see the field like a QB needs to.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, shaq said:

There is actually history that shows us how he plays from a clean pocket.

Panthers QB Sam Darnold's clean pocket and red zone numbers are troubling (msn.com)

He is one of the worst in the league.

Maybe this year will be different but this idea of using it as an excuse for him is just wrong based on past history.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

There is actually history that shows us how he plays from a clean pocket.

Panthers QB Sam Darnold's clean pocket and red zone numbers are troubling (msn.com)

He is one of the worst in the league.

Maybe this year will be different but this idea of using it as an excuse for him is just wrong based on past history.

When has Darnold played behind a decent line or in a good system. History only shows that when he plays with a shitty line and bad OC he sucks. How is that predictive of the future. Before the injuries and teams exploited our poorly conceived scheme, he actually did play fairly well. So when injuries pile up and we don't make adjustments  and our line doesn't protect he sucks.  Don't get me wrong, I am not a big fan but fair is fair. If the line is much improved and McAdoo is as good as many think, then the expectation would suggest that Darnold wil play better. How much better or better that Corral is anyone's guess.  But you can't deny that last year was the tale of 2 different QBs in Darnold.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

I'm still in utter shock that just about two months ago we were teased with the possibility of this starting OL after Corbett + Bozeman signed in the offseason. It still doesn't feel real.

If Bozeman is retained, this very well could be the starting OL for the next 3 years... 😮

We've come a long way from a different starting offensive line combination every week where our starters then are at best back-ups now.

Edited by Icege

11 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

When has Darnold played behind a decent line or in a good system. History only shows that when he plays with a shitty line and bad OC he sucks. How is that predictive of the future. Before the injuries and teams exploited our poorly conceived scheme, he actually did play fairly well. So when injuries pile up and we don't make adjustments  and our line doesn't protect he sucks.  Don't get me wrong, I am not a big fan but fair is fair. If the line is much improved and McAdoo is as good as many think, then the expectation would suggest that Darnold wil play better. How much better or better that Corral is anyone's guess.  But you can't deny that last year was the tale of 2 different QBs in Darnold.

because his line didn't play bad every snap.

You can go back and look at the plays when he did have protection.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Just now, AU-panther said:

because his line didn't play bad every snap.

You can go back and look at the plays when he did have protection.

That logic is stupid honestly. When a QB is under pressure and getting clobbered alot,  it impacts  his confidence, timing, and rythym and that is why on uncontested throws he still struggled. He went through his steps too quickly and his timing was off with receivers so even when there wasn't the expected pressure,the play didn't worked. You can't just cherry pick plays out of context and draw conclusions. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Not My Job GIF

Y'all and Matt Rhule, keep on talking that Darnold sh¡t! I know better. Corral will blow his ass out the water when the time comes. I've been trying to tell y'all that for months.

And if you are a Panther fan you hope both Darnold and Corral play great

This hoping someone sucks so your guy can play I don't understand. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Good QBs   can still make plays behind bad Olines. Newton and Wilson come to mind. Darnold with all pro lineman at every position would still be a back up level player and a poor one at that.

Edited by Shotgun
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2