• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Surge drowns Bear 05/10/2022 PNC Area GameThread

9 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

I'm convinced that Boston keeps the temp up on the ice to negate our speed. We're a completely different team at home.

It's really the line match-ups that have been the difference. At home Rod has been able to keep Staal out on the ice every time that Bergeron is out there and he's shut him down. The home team is always the second to make substitutions after play stoppages, so on home ice we can be reactionary to their substitutions and when we've been in Boston it's the opposite. 

It's why their cringe worthy "perfection" line has looked so much better in Boston. They've been able to pick and choose who to put them on the ice against and it's paid dividends pretty quickly a few times for them. 

Edited by Floppin

2 hours ago, Floppin said:

It's really the line match-ups that have been the difference. At home Rod has been able to keep Staal out on the ice every time that Bergeron is out there and he's shut him down. The home team is always the second to make substitutions after play stoppages, so on home ice we can be reactionary to their substitutions and when we've been in Boston it's the opposite. 

It's why their cringe worthy "perfection" line has looked so much better in Boston. They've been able to pick and choose who to put them on the ice against and it's paid dividends pretty quickly a few times for them. 

While I agree that’s the main component there is definitely something going on with the ice in Boston. The players we’re slipping all over the place in both games. The amount of times both teams were racing with the puck down the ice and suddenly went down to a knee with no contact cause they lost an edge. The constant bouncing of the puck too. It’s just weird and I’m not implying Boston is doing it purposely. I just feel there’s something just quite not right with the ice temp/quality.

I’m gonna keep an eye out tomorrow cause I feel like the ice wasn’t even that fresh and shiny after the intermissions either but that may just be in my head. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

While I agree that’s the main component there is definitely something going on with the ice in Boston. The players we’re slipping all over the place in both games. The amount of times both teams were racing with the puck down the ice and suddenly went down to a knee with no contact cause they lost an edge. The constant bouncing of the puck too. It’s just weird and I’m not implying Boston is doing it purposely. I just feel there’s something just quite not right with the ice temp/quality.

I’m gonna keep an eye out tomorrow cause I feel like the ice wasn’t even that fresh and shiny after the intermissions either but that may just be in my head. 

It's a 27-year old dump that hasn't seen any hockey upgrades in years. The ice base is just as, if not more, important than the ice itself. And, like baseball and football, when you're playing a team much faster, you let the grass grow just a bit higher to slow them down.

Boston is an old, slow team. They have no one on the roster who can skate with Aho, Turbo or Necas. So yeah, a little wetter, mushier ice makes perfect sense.

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

It's a 27-year old dump that hasn't seen any hockey upgrades in years. The ice base is just as, if not more, important than the ice itself. And, like baseball and football, when you're playing a team much faster, you let the grass grow just a bit higher to slow them down.

Boston is an old, slow team. They have no one on the roster who can skate with Aho, Turbo or Necas. So yeah, a little wetter, mushier ice makes perfect sense.

And now they have a basketball game tonight there too. Fun. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

And now they have a basketball game tonight there too. Fun. 

So, the old Boston Garden and the famous parquet floors, which were a nightmare for opposing teams because there were known dead spots in those floor sections, known valleys and the playing surface was atrocious. But, it looked good on TV back in the day.

When the Bruins played hockey in the old Garden, and there was a hockey game the day before, it wasn't unusual for water to seep up thru the seams of the basketball floor during the games!

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Harbingers said:

Yeah, it's a known thing that the ice in Boston is terrible, especially once the weather warms up. That arena sucks balls.

Edited by Floppin
  • Pie 1