• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeremy Fowler on Panthers QB search

2 hours ago, unicar15 said:

Carson Wentz scored a 40 and sucks

Cam, Watson, Carr scored 20s and they were MVP candidates. 

Dan Marino, Terry Bradshaw, Jim Kelly, Steve McNair scored 15 and are in the HOF

The wonderlic doesn’t mean poo.

It isn't the end all be all, but there's a pretty strong correlation between struggling on the Wonderlic and struggling at QB in the NFL.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Not really trying to be pessimistic but does anyone here actually think this kid is going to be really good or decent for that matter? Or are they just happy he isn’t Sam Darnold?

I am very underwhelmed with this class and I had Corral tied with Howell for 4th best in the group this year. 

I'm optimistic but if we have a chance at Cj Stroud or Bryce Young is too bad so sad for him unless he looks like Herbert Jr this year.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Not really trying to be pessimistic but does anyone here actually think this kid is going to be really good or decent for that matter? Or are they just happy he isn’t Sam Darnold?

I am very underwhelmed with this class and I had Corral tied with Howell for 4th best in the group this year. 

People just want to see anything other than Darnold and get hyped about it. Then when poo flies there will be dumb knee jerk pessimistic troll threads after the first bad game or INT etc. Typical off-season on the huddle.

Manage expectations. In reality the odds are against Corral and it will likely take quite a bit of time (minimum a full season) for him to even be ready to truly play. 

Also in reality, a solid backup manager for where he was picked isn’t a bad deal at all and I’d be happy with that. PJ is a waste.

Should he ball out before then he will defy history and thus logic.

In my opinion this franchise will and does still need a franchise QB.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

What was your solution?

1 hour ago, Cdparr7 said:

For me, mainly that he isn't Sam. I mean, he could still be a backup quality QB and be better than Darnold.

I am hopeful that he becomes more than that but my expectations of any 3rd round QB will be low. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It isn't the end all be all, but there's a pretty strong correlation between struggling on the Wonderlic and struggling at QB in the NFL.

No, there us basically zero correlation at all. This has quite literally been analyzed by study after study and had absolutely no correlation on NFL success.

It's always been a complete myth that it matters at all.

• Beer 3

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

No, there us basically zero correlation at all. This has quite literally been analyzed by study after study and had absolutely no correlation on NFL success.

Yup. Corral scoring 15 and Darnold scoring 28 makes no difference in watching tape and seeing that Corral can process football plays quicker than Darnold. Also the wonderlic has nothing to do with having the balls to stand in the pocket and not run around like a chicken with your head cut off. I've done sample test/quizzes and it seems like a lot of stupid trick math questions. Point me towards a good free one, I'm curious to see one that's closer to whatever "official" test these guys have to take. It's like getting a food handlers license or drivers license. Just memorize a bunch of bullshit for a week, pass the test and never think about it ever again

• Beer 2

6 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Let's see it. A couple of anecdotal examples isn't a "study".

Win-win for me. If he bust then we get closer to firing Rhule, if he does decent we got a good backup and if he balls out we got a starting QB. If fine with all that.

I have tampered expectations gor Corral and I'm expecting the middle one. It wouldn't take much to be a more playable QB than Sam.  Maybe that still gets Rhule fired and that is where I am happy to put my hope into right now.

11 hours ago, unicar15 said:

Carson Wentz scored a 40 and sucks

Cam, Watson, Carr scored 20s and they were MVP candidates. 

Dan Marino, Terry Bradshaw, Jim Kelly, Steve McNair scored 15 and are in the HOF

The wonderlic doesn’t mean poo.

i thought they were getting rid of it. they should. it's worthless and completely unnecessary.

I’d like to think the Panthers are due for some good luck. 
I am hoping they can coach up Corral and we will be done with looking for a QB for 10-15 years. 
All the tests in the world won’t show how he will react during game time. 
I am looking forward to this season. Even if we suck. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan
  • Pie 2

whatever he did to get selected in the 3rd round is a miracle

whether it was his pro-day, off field stuff.. interviews..  you know, everything that isnt actual talent and ability

If we snagged a franchise QB in the 3rd thats a franchise saving move and is a huge boost

• Beer 1

24 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

I'm guessing you looked T some headlines on fan sites and Mike Florio.

When an economist did an actual study he found different.

You aren't going to like this but it was found that wonderlic is a stronger indicator of success than draft position.

The study: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00036846.2017.1412081?journalCode=raec20

The artical explaining by same guy:

https://www.businessinsider.com/wonderlic-test-can-predict-long-term-success-for-nfl-quarterbacks-2020-4#:~:text=In other words%2C if two,more success in the NFL.

The artical was 2020 and the economists said no analysis existed so your claim of study after study can't be true. Florios opinion isn't a study.

Even in the link you offer there is a side mention of the daughter of the creator of the wonderlic test who says it is useless in this day and age.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/why-daughter-of-wonderlic-test-creator-isnt-happy-with-the-nfl/

What's your personal opinion on it? At best it's hit and miss. Definitely not something we should judge a QB on before they have played meaningful time in the NFL. Patrick Mahomes and Geno Smith had the same wonderlic score of 24 🤷‍♂️

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1