• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RAS by year/regime

ellis

54 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

It just means we are picking the best athletes and banking on our coaches to turn those athletes into football players.

Bare minimum you have an athletic freak on your team that you can put in at certain situations. I understand the concept.

I'd be more interested in seeing the RAS of more successful organizations like the Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots. That would be a better indicator of how relative RAS is to overall team success. 

As I pointed out, there were pretty much an equal number of good and better players in the red and yellow as there was in the good ratings. Perhaps RAS isn't any real indicator of success in the NFL but just a snapshot of a player at their peak in college against other college athletes?

25 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

Seems that absolutely nothing can be taken from this in terms of RAS being an indicator of success.

Yeah, I’m certainly not suggesting there’s a right or wrong way to do things. But I do know a lot of teams value this data. Carolina seems to be one of them right now. But again, no guarantees. Here’s the 2011 draft class, top-32 athletic testing: 6F58735C-34B9-4CF2-954A-33A5E952D090.thumb.jpeg.bc26f794a9d0940ae713c0e90b2a4408.jpegD71AD857-CBFC-4C72-8FBB-FF9A317F6DD6.thumb.jpeg.b1cb1f93d1093876efd6332b890740fd.jpeg

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

To be fair this was Rhules way in college and he said he would bring that to the NFL. Get the raw athletic players and try coach them up. I think Fitterer was bought in because his views align 

Except he sucks at coaching them up at the NFL level.  That's why I'm glad we have some NFL caliber assistants this year.

5 minutes ago, NAS said:

Except he sucks at coaching them up at the NFL level.  That's why I'm glad we have some NFL caliber assistants this year.

I don’t like Rhule myself, but would people think this if he had a QB/OC worth a damn the last two seasons? CMC has barely played over the last two seasons too. 

I’m not his number 1 fan, but I also don’t see a dude who can’t coach. He fugs some things up but seems to be learning from mistakes. Realizing how poo the o-line was, and actually throwing everything at it in one off-season is refreshing in itself.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

I don’t like Rhule myself, but would people think this if he had a QB/OC worth a damn the last two seasons? CMC has barely played over the last two seasons too. 

I’m not his number 1 fan, but I also don’t see a dude who can’t coach. He fugs some things up but seems to be learning from mistakes. Realizing how poo the o-line was, and actually throwing everything at it in one off-season is refreshing in itself.

That's the GM.

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Looking at the names, though, it doesn't seem like RAS correlates to success in the NFL very much. There are some real nothings in the green listing, some pretty darned good players in the red.

Maybe I'm just not understanding this.

Are there any great players in the red and yellow though? TD and Smitty are in the yellow, thats about all I see for great players, sure there are some good ones......Smitty is only in the yellow because of his size. 

Our top players of all time are almost all in the green.  Peppers would be green if listed. 

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Looking at the names, though, it doesn't seem like RAS correlates to success in the NFL very much. There are some real nothings in the green listing, some pretty darned good players in the red.

Maybe I'm just not understanding this.

Having a high RAS score doesn't correlate with NFL success. It just shows that you worked out really well in spandex at the combine. You can't measure a guy's intangibles, football IQ, and passion through athletic testing and these traits matter more than being able to run fast. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Having a high RAS score doesn't correlate with NFL success. It just shows that you worked out really well in spandex at the combine. You can't measure a guy's intangibles, football IQ, and passion through athletic testing and these traits matter more than being able to run fast. 

So arguably our top 5 players of all time are in the Green or high yellow, but it does not matter? How many top end players do you find in the red? 

Yes those other traits are important, but you also have to be able to keep up athletically. Luke had all the intangibles in the world, but he would not be a HoF player with a red RAS, he was also a freak athletically. 

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

His failure as a head coach is not just about the QB or offensive line.  Look at the lack of player development across the last two draft classes.   Even Jeremy Chinn seems to have regressed last year compared to his rookie year.  

• Pie 1