• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Most dead cap the last 3 years

Varking

4 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

We are 13th in dead cap this year.   And we have more cap space than any other team, although I imagine that will change soon.  But its clear that the front office has gotten better in that regard.  If we can find a qb, and get the right staff on the field, we could end up in pretty good shape over the next few seasons.  

This is what happens when you have to pay players to make up for bad QB play. When you have a QB who can play and wins…you get better deals at every level. Have to cut players less often to try to upgrade. The fact that Fitterer has take us from 2nd to 13th in one season shows how much better he is than Hurney. 

Shocked panthers are 2nd.

I know the never-rhulers dont want to believe, but when he got here, 40-50 million was waiting year one. The same 50 million was there in year 2, some of it was his doing, but it was mainly Herniaymagic. 

Now Finessererere is doing the same dumb stuff about pushing the effect to later years. Shaq/robbie/motown will be around 25 million in cap bucks, thats cut zone, not healthy.

Edited by Basbear

1 hour ago, unicar15 said:

This is what happens when you have to pay players to make up for bad QB play. When you have a QB who can play and wins…you get better deals at every level. Have to cut players less often to try to upgrade. The fact that Fitterer has take us from 2nd to 13th in one season shows how much better he is than Hurney. 

Not so sure I agree. Or maybe its just that their are exceptions.  Teams that have great qb's that are nearing the end of their career tend to max out their cap space in an attempt to win before the old guy retires.  For example Green Bay has more dead cap than we do.  The Saints do to, as they are still suffering from the Drew Brees pay.  I think its more about competence in the front ffice and a little luck, especially when it come injuries.

At least we won't be on the hook for much qb money after this year.  If Corral works out, or if we have to draft another one next year, we should be able to put a good team around them.

Edited by Davidson Deac II

18 hours ago, poundaway said:

https://www.derp/2021/2/22/22294361/looking-back-on-how-the-panthers-led-the-nfl-in-dead-cap-space-in-2020-and-what-it-means-for-2021
We were the worst in 2020.  We had 54M in :

Matt Kalil
Trai Turner
Eric Reed
Luke Kuechly
Seth Roberts
Greg Olsen
Dontari Poe
Eli Apple
Cam Newton

This year  we have 23M
Matt Paradis    $8,293,334
Haason Reddick    $4,008,000
Tre Boston    $2,666,668
Morgan Fox    $2,540,000
Dan Arnold    $1,272,500
A.J. Bouye    $1,212,500
Denzel Perryman    $1,000,000
Greg Little    $893,895
David Moore    $625,000
Christian Miller    $368,508
Will Grier $205,545
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/carolina-panthers/

I’m sure Christian Miller is loving his decision to take a year off. What a rocket scientist.

11 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Not so sure I agree. Or maybe its just that their are exceptions.  Teams that have great qb's that are nearing the end of their career tend to max out their cap space in an attempt to win before the old guy retires.  For example Green Bay has more dead cap than we do.  The Saints do to, as they are still suffering from the Drew Brees pay.  I think its more about competence in the front ffice and a little luck, especially when it come injuries.

At least we won't be on the hook for much qb money after this year.  If Corral works out, or if we have to draft another one next year, we should be able to put a good team around them.

I think some of it is relative. If you are in a situation to go to the super bowl then you can make the argument there is “good” dead cap (Saints, Packers etc). If you are just swinging and missing trying to put a team around a bad QB situation (Panthers) then that’s “bad” dead cap…..Which was Hurney’s M.O. But yeah I agree if we can get a starting QB on a rookie contract for 4-5 years we should be in a good situation for a while. 

3 hours ago, Pakmeng said:

Is it completely lost on you that the current GM and Salary cap manager didn't create this problem? And that it has improved every year since the new regime?

Fitterer and Suleiman weren't even here when the contracts that created this were given out.

No, i know who was responsible and one of them is still here. control of personnel was given to someone who had no business being in control of it.