• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NASCAR unit could move out of up Town, to Concord, (wonder if this will affect Tepper decision on practice field)

Nascar used to be cool. I really enjoyed it up until about 2012. The sport will never die but it is gone and never coming back. Just like heavyweight boxing. That NASCAR HOF could move to Brazil and most people wouldn’t notice. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, amcoolio said:

NBA and Soccer seem to be the only sports that young people care about. NFL has royally fuged up the last 15 years being so behind on the trends and social media scene whereas the NBA jumped on it right away. The NFL is still the most popular but could have been so much more. I place the blame squarely on Goodell on this one.

I can see NBA taking over NFL in terms of popularity in 10 years. They are way ahead with technology and international fans. MLB is too slow paced and not exciting enough for the genZ'ers. NHL has made a bit of comeback after a decade of dark ages. Even NCAA Mens basketball is losing lots of popularity this millenium. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone under 21 who cares about the ACC tournament unless their parents make them watch it.

I dont watch NBA and hate to comment on unknown. I am shocked to hear young people watch NBA, do they 100% watch the game? Or just go arrive 50 minutes later and play with their phones from most of the remaining game? I thought NBA was waaaaay ahead about going global, china is pulling heavy sales and views. They have soccer like approach. The China hypocrisy was a death blow to my attention giving. I miss it, cause I was also a fantasy basketball kingpin. Maybe one day I will watch these new hornets, ball is almost pulling a Cam. Still got all shaqs rookie cards and much more wasting away. 

I know during recess it was legit party time watching the teacher roll out the TV to watch the ACC tourny.....first time since diapers I didnt feel a bracket this year. Getting tooo close to moving to a cave and making whiskey. Panthers are the only sports ball thing I follow hardcore now. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Nascar used to be cool. I really enjoyed it up until about 2012. The sport will never die but it is gone and never coming back. Just like heavyweight boxing. That NASCAR HOF could move to Brazil and most people wouldn’t notice. 

God dam do I miss heavyweight boxing the most. A gypsy is running the show and has been for years, wtf????....I watched about the whole klitschko brother era and stopped soon after. I hated their stay far away 1, 2, and grab repeat x439 times events tho. I almost kill for a prime lennox lewis fight right now.... I tried watching UFC, til it became a humping fest. Wait for 50 minutes of BS.....touch gloves and shoot to hump.....I came from boxing, so I much more preferred standing and fighting. Different art, just not my art-style. Was a huge Fedor fan/still am. No clue how he remained off PEDs and still beat those juiced up monsters. 

12 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I dont watch NBA and hate to comment on unknown. I am shocked to hear young people watch NBA, do they 100% watch the game? Or just go arrive 50 minutes later and play with their phones from most of the remaining game? I thought NBA was waaaaay ahead about going global, china is pulling heavy sales and views. They have soccer like approach. The China hypocrisy was a death blow to my attention giving. I miss it, cause I was also a fantasy basketball kingpin. Maybe one day I will watch these new hornets, ball is almost pulling a Cam. Still got all shaqs rookie cards and much more wasting away. 

I know during recess it was legit party time watching the teacher roll out the TV to watch the ACC tourny.....first time since diapers I didnt feel a bracket this year. Getting tooo close to moving to a cave and making whiskey. Panthers are the only sports ball thing I follow hardcore now. 

NASCAR sold out and is a corporate garbage. No more families outside tinkering with their cars in garages - it’s a bunch of little entitled rich kids who had mommy, daddy, or PawPaw buy them a seat at the table. The cars are over engineers and it is just terrible to watch. 

Y’all can hate Tepper all you want but you better thank GOD that some group of idiots like the Smiths, Felix Sabates didn’t end up with the Panthers. 

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, 4Corners said:

NASCAR sold out and is a corporate garbage. No more families outside tinkering with their cars in garages - it’s a bunch of little entitled rich kids who had mommy, daddy, or PawPaw buy them a seat at the table. The cars are over engineers and it is just terrible to watch. 

Y’all can hate Tepper all you want but you better thank GOD that some group of idiots like the Smiths, Felix Sabates didn’t end up with the Panthers. 

Frances......look them up and o my god. Like my old man been saying " Every decision they made has hurt nascar". Big Bill would not have allowed this. Honestly thats how Nascar became the "top" auto sport. Big Bill was the only honest promoter. Every other dirtbag promoter would be out the door once all the tickets were collected. If Bill promised a 5k winning, you got it. Everyone else would lie and blame the weather etc and try to low-ball the racers. 

5 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Frances......look them up and o my god. Like my old man been saying " Every decision they made has hurt nascar". Big Bill would not have allowed this. Honestly thats how Nascar became the "top" auto sport. Big Bill was the only honest promoter. Every other dirtbag promoter would be out the door once all the tickets were collected. If Bill promised a 5k winning, you got it. Everyone else would lie and blame the weather etc and try to low-ball the racers. 

I mean whatever sort of business strategy and marketing ideas they’ve implemented the past 10-20 years have not worked. It’s terrible. I know they took out like 40,000 seats of CMS a few years ago, they don’t do that for a sport that is thriving. Hopefully UFC is not far behind. 

• Beer 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jackson113 said:

NASCAR died with Senior.

dale earnhardt nascar GIF by Redneck Island

Yep. I remember way back when I was a server and drivers would come in and just talk shop with me. I loved it. Met DW, Sr, Gantt, RW, DA, the Bodine bros, and Richard Childress. Talking to them was just like talking to your buddies drinking a beer outside grilling a steak. When those guys started leaving, it lost its appeal for me. They tried to make Jr Into Sr and it never worked. 

Edited by SmokinwithWilly
  • Beer 1

11 hours ago, Basbear said:

Yeah, the NBA is cool for adults going to watch the games in the arena, but ya don’t see many “youngsters” filling the seats. My guess is that the NBA and soccer is popular because of video games. My son takes me to about half the Panthers home games and he’s steady on his phone checking his fuging fantasy team’s progress and he’s 29…

I was a big Dale Earnhardt Sr. fan but after his  death in 2001 i no longer had an interest in NASCAR or racing in general because it was changing so much in a negative manner.

His death made him the fourth NASCAR driver to die within a nine-month period and eventually prompted NASCAR officials to implement a series of more stringent safety regulations, including the use of head-and-neck restraints.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, amcoolio said:

Nascar 2003-2009 is the best era. I'll die on that hill.

Old racing was boring and predictable, people just like it for nostalgia reasons

Whatever the racing is the last 12 years isn't racing, and stages are so dumb

Make it 2002-12

Edited by Carl Spackler

32 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

Yeah, the NBA is cool for adults going to watch the games in the arena, but ya don’t see many “youngsters” filling the seats. My guess is that the NBA and soccer is popular because of video games. 

The NBA embraces players with over-the-top personalities.  They market those players better than any other league does.  That in turn leads to a higher social media presence which in turn attracts younger viewers.  

The NFL and its fans vilify anyone who acts different.  Cam would have been adored in the NBA.  In the NFL, he was the "villain" for so many people.  Could you imagine the reception if Draymond Green was an NFL player holding a weekly podcast during his teams playoff run?