• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rookie Camp

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Other new titles:

Jeff Nixon is now listed as "Assistant Head Coach, Offense". Al Holcomb has the same title on the defensive side. Not sure if that ranks them above the coordinators or not (wouldn't think so but...)

Terrance Knighton is now the Assistant Defensive Line Coach (was a coaching assistant before).

This honestly just seems like a “too many cooks in the kitchen” type of scenario waiting to happen. Why do you need all of these people? Football has never had this much input and teams have been successful. I know these guys want to be “CEOs” but football isn’t THAT complicated. 

• Beer 1

41 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I played a LOT of football, never jumped rope.  Not saying it's wrong, just that I had never done it, nor had I seen a lot of players in the NFL do it either...again, not saying that they don't, just that I've never seen it that I can recall.

In HS FB they had us jump rope for 5 min every damn day in off season workouts 

1 hour ago, trueblade said:

From the clip @trueblade posted. 

Reporter Question:

Coach.... (did not hear name) said, you are closer to be NFL ready, more than some analysts gave you before the draft. Were do you feel that you stand. How close of being an NFL ready, compete for starring job with Darnold?

Matt C answer: 

All it comes down to is knowing the playbook. If I just can know the playbook I will be ready to play. And as far as, uhm, you know, be a starter. That's not my, of course my mentality is to be a starter but right now. I am trying to get on the 53 man roster. 

My take...

People really want him to replace Darnold.  But this is kind of ridiculous, even from journalists. He is a third round pick. This behavior is just setting him up to fail expectations. Yes I know, be ready and compete. Compete hard and let us all scream, the American way. Yada. I don't think throwing the whole franchise on his shoulders and expecting him to be able to carry it from day one is the best way forward. I hope he settles in good and can win the job. But give him time. 

• Pie 7

1 minute ago, kass said:

From the clip @trueblade posted. 

Reporter Question:

Coach.... (did not hear name) said, you are closer to be NFL ready, more than some analysts gave you before the draft. Were do you feel that you stand. How close of being an NFL ready, compete for starring job with Darnold?

Matt C answer: 

All it comes down to is knowing the playbook. If I just can know the playbook I will be ready to play. And as far as, uhm, you know, be a starter. That's not my, of course my mentality is to be a starter but right now. I am trying to get on the 53 man roster. 

My take...

People really want him to replace Darnold.  But this is kind of ridiculous, even from journalists. He is a third round pick. This behavior is just setting him up to fail expectations. Yes I know, be ready and compete. Compete hard and let us all scream, the American way. Yada. I don't think throwing the whole franchise on his shoulders and expecting him to be able to carry it from day one is the best way forward. I hope he settles in good and can win the job. But give him time. 

If he can learn the playbook you start him.   If he fails he fails if not we are good.   Letting a 3rd rounder sit if he is ready to play is stupid

• Pie 4

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If he can learn the playbook you start him.   If he fails he fails if not we are good.   Letting a 3rd rounder sit if he is ready to play is stupid

Yep. If he knows it then you have to give him live game experience. If he sucks then we grab a replacement next year. If he gets better each game and looks like something at the end of the season, then we roll with him.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2