• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rookie Camp

Mr. Scot

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't honestly know that much about him other than that a few people in the undrafted players thread were happy we got him.

Leaving that soon makes me think it could be something personal.

Reading up on him it sounds like he never played a single legit rep at S his entire college career.    Overcome a lot and just wanted to be part of Penn State and eventually got on the field as a special team gunner.  Uniquely fast which I guess was the curiosity. 

but if he never played a legit down as a S in college and was only a gunner…..I would imagine he might of just been outclassed grinding it out as a designated DB in a camp environment.  

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Reading up on him it sounds like he never played a single legit rep at S his entire college career.    Overcome a lot and just wanted to be part of Penn State and eventually got on the field as a special team gunner.  Uniquely fast which I guess was the curiosity. 

but if he never played a legit down as a S in college and was only a gunner…..I would imagine he might of just been outclassed grinding it out as a designated DB in a camp environment.  

It's possible he got here, practiced and decided he couldn't hack it.

Wouldn't exactly say a lot for his perseverance if that's the case, but hey...

10 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

OT Ikem Ekwonu

Ekwonu already looks the part. It's easy to see why everyone in the Panthers' building calls him a tone-setter. There were a couple of times that he nearly ran the guy (another lineman) holding the pad into the ground. He's just a massive human being who has tremendous strength. He'll be starting at left tackle from day one. 

Praise Jesus

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

On 5/14/2022 at 5:14 PM, Basbear said:

Mark this down willy- If Sam Darnold remains healthy he will have his best NFL season. 

I agree, but only "slightly below average" would be his best NFL season. Still, this should be the best line he's ever had.

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

OT Ikem Ekwonu

Ekwonu already looks the part. It's easy to see why everyone in the Panthers' building calls him a tone-setter. There were a couple of times that he nearly ran the guy (another lineman) holding the pad into the ground. He's just a massive human being who has tremendous strength. He'll be starting at left tackle from day one. 

Praise Jesus

Our RBs are going to love running to the left side!  Hell we have Moton and Corbett on the right.  (I think Corbet is better at pass protection though but I could be wrong). 

• Pie 1

19 hours ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I think I can agree with you that there is a strong possibility that he will have his best year ever.  Even with that I don’t think that means he is a legitimate starter in this league.  It might not 100% his fault as I think he is conditioned to go 1, 2 I’m about to get killed if I don’t make a play.

He had these tendencies when drafted and his experience with the Jets and Panthers only reinforced that.   I think having more confidence in the line may marginally improve this but not enough for redemption.  

I hope I’m off base and would love it if you can post an “I told you so” rebuttal after next season. 

I can not pull the "I told you so" when we agree fully. Is it too out there to think Sam can have more than 3,204 yards, 19 TDs, and 61.9% comp???.... with less than 13 INTs? You understood my thoughts, now is that a insane prediction given hes never played a full season, 4 years of poor OL(maybe the worse during those 4) and poor coaching....

If you want to say hes too much like David Carr, well I can not defend that, cause I also feel that is the biggest issue. But this is best chance hes had in 5 years, if hes able to re-wire his brain and keep his health....I like the odds and Im a panther fan and not a Sam hater.