• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cade Mays

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you recall last year's draft video, the team agrees.

Not really. They said he was a 2nd round G or a 3rd round T. Seeing as how any T with the same grade as a G will go a round earlier, we were basically saying he’s a great G prospect as the top Gs go late 1st or 2nd. Top tackle prospects go top 15.

Rhule was basically saying we got him in the 3rd as a T but that they got a steal as he would have gone 2nd if he was a G.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/28/panthers-matt-rhule-calls-brady-christensen-third-round-tackle-second-round-guard/

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Watched him after we took him, never really looked like a G to me...but what the hell do I know?

Yep, that’s why I almost expect him to get passed by in the LG sweepstakes. I also don’t see Brown in the game. It would shock me if he’s in NFL playing shape.

19 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

You're used to the squat, widebody type at guard?

6'6 and 305 just isn't what I typically think of when thinking of power run teams and their guards.

Again, maybe it's just me.

16 hours ago, stbugs said:

Yep, that’s why I almost expect him to get passed by in the LG sweepstakes. I also don’t see Brown in the game. It would shock me if he’s in NFL playing shape.

Yea, I agree.

Brown will likely have an uphill battle to get, and stay on the field.

14 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Wherever they put him on the oline I hope it's Campen who makes that call.

this. rhule needs to keep his greasy opinions on personnel to himself and let the guys who know what they are talking about make the call.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

On 5/15/2022 at 12:22 PM, KillerKat said:

Makes me more infuriated how we took a fuging long snapper over just keeping it simple and drafting an o-lineman like Trey Smith. I can never forgive Rhule for that. It wasn't that hard. It was an obvious choice that could've helped the team. Last year and this year shows that we give Rhule control over late rounds and some UDFAs. 

This seems like a pretty nonsensical take unless you have some data supporting it. In what world is the coach the one wanting to draft a long snapper? The rationale for drafting a long snapper is to cut costs at a position that is not valued. That's definitely a big picture GM type move. Doesn't even make sense that a coach would micromanage a long snapper decision but if so, would almost certainly prefer the solid reliable vet. There's no benefit for a coach to take a worse unproven player. Coaches reluctantly accept moves that make their team worse in the short term; they don't pound the table demanding them. 

• Beer 2

3 hours ago, Peon Awesome said:

This seems like a pretty nonsensical take unless you have some data supporting it. In what world is the coach the one wanting to draft a long snapper? The rationale for drafting a long snapper is to cut costs at a position that is not valued. That's definitely a big picture GM type move. Doesn't even make sense that a coach would micromanage a long snapper decision but if so, would almost certainly prefer the solid reliable vet. There's no benefit for a coach to take a worse unproven player. Coaches reluctantly accept moves that make their team worse in the short term; they don't pound the table demanding them. 

I was pissed at Brown over Smith as well. The LS over Smith was getting kicked while down.

That said, I very much agree. The coach sure doesn’t seem like the guy saying hey we could save a million a year with a rookie long snapper.

Hopefully, Mays makes us forget about Smith. That would be nice. We could use our 2nd on a stud C and be done with OL for a while.

On 5/16/2022 at 6:11 PM, stbugs said:

bugs, you got to be feeling this OL, right? Im talking soup to nuts, talent, depth, youth, coach, etc. 

27 minutes ago, Basbear said:

bugs, you got to be feeling this OL, right? Im talking soup to nuts, talent, depth, youth, coach, etc. 

I wish Bozeman was signed longer but I think it could be solid. LG is still a hole and C needs a longer term solution, like 2nd round next year or Bozeman excelling and signing for a few years. Imagine if we hadn’t taken an effing long snapper. Then we’d have some decent depth too.

In the end though, this team is still riding on Corral. Having a not trash OL will help.