• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

“I thought I was going to the Carolina Panthers. Then they took Kelvin Benjamin.”

ncfan

1 minute ago, Pakmeng said:

Its a shame in retrospect but Nobody had Adams over KB.

This is when everyone was chasing the big wr thing. 

KB was also coming off that natty catch.   That one catch was pretty impactful to his draft position IMO. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

Its a shame in retrospect but Nobody had Adams over KB.

This is when everyone was chasing the big wr thing. 

I don't recall anyone really having Adams as a 1st round prospect. Seems like most had him as a good prospect but pigeon holed into a possession type guy who would never evolve into an elite or game breaking type WR. A solid starter type.

3 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

In fairness, you could probably say something similar about 90% of the teams in the NFL.  The Bears preferred Mitch Trubiski over Patrick Mahomes.  Washington preferred RG III over Russel Wilson.  Dallas preferred Claiborne over Gilmore, etc...  Draft is a crap shoot and only a handful of teams get it right more often than they get it wrong.  

It holds true for every single team in the NFL.  Alot of teams are kicking themselves for passing on Aaron Donald.  But even the Rams passed on Aaron Donald.🤣

The Packers are one of the best drafting teams in the NFL.  One draft they have a hard time living down is 1989.  They had pick #2 and 4 of the top 5 guys picked that year became hall of famers (Troy Aikman, Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders).  They took a bust.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, PhillyB said:

dumb. he would've had prime time future HOFer cam newton throwing to him here. but you're a weirdo shadow racist street preacher cam hater so of course you have this wonky ass take

The whole Cam situation kind of proves his point though.  We had an elite talent in Cam Newton come to our franchise and never gave him a proper OL or many weapons.  Instead we ran him into the ground, watched him get hit constantly in the pocket and shortened his career.  That kind of stuff shouldn't happen to elite QBs.  Look at the Bengals loading up on weapons/OL because they know they have something in Burrow.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Yes, KB was ultimately responsible for his own mistakes, but you cannot rule out his surroundings.  Look at how many promising careers have hit the skids going to unstable franchises.  On the flip side, Adams is the highest paid WR in the League.  Do you think that would have been possible if we drafted him?

Potentially Adams may have still been an absolute bad ass because he would have had Cam (who was a badass himself) throwing him the football and Cam helped many receivers look awesome. Steve Smith had Jake throwing him the ball and Jake was awesome for a time period but Steve Smith would have been an absolute monster regardless because it was ingrained in him to be a monster. If Kelvin had half the heart, the ferocity, the aggressive nature and the drive that Steve Smith had he would have been the greatest receiver to ever step on the field with the genetics he was given by nature.

1 hour ago, YourLastThought said:

Potentially Adams may have still been an absolute bad ass because he would have had Cam (who was a badass himself) throwing him the football and Cam helped many receivers look awesome. Steve Smith had Jake throwing him the ball and Jake was awesome for a time period but Steve Smith would have been an absolute monster regardless because it was ingrained in him to be a monster. If Kelvin had half the heart, the ferocity, the aggressive nature and the drive that Steve Smith had he would have been the greatest receiver to ever step on the field with the genetics he was given by nature.

When people try to put Smitty on a pedestal by low key insinuating Jake was trash, they tend to overlook the reality that Jake's best statistical season was the year when Smitty broke his leg in week one and missed the whole season.

• Pie 2

7 hours ago, Manna said:

KB made sense then and I still agree with the pick today. He did well and met expectations are a number 1 WR. I believe it was when his mother passed that it affected him emotionally and psychologically which led to his downfall. People cope differently and I think his way of coping just so happened to derail his NFL career. 

Actually, his work ethic and attitude were red flags pre draft.

5 hours ago, stbugs said:

Yes, it did. Did you watch the SB or just the regular season? Ginn was our top WR that year and he did very little with 10 targets in the SB and tipped a pass leading to an interception. Cam had his best year ever with a 99 passer rating until the SB when he had a 55 rating. KB was 6-90-1TD against Denver week 1 and we got out to a 17-7 lead in week 1. If we had that sort of start in the SB, we win easily.

KB wasn’t lazy or unmotivated until after the knee injury. Ask @Zod, who’s said many times that KB was looking amazing in training camp before getting hurt. Pre and post injury were two completely different players.

Anyway, we’ll have to disagree but 2015 KB in camp isn’t the player that came after the injury.

Shouldn't teams do some interviews and dig into players who they are drafting in the first round?  This seems to be Gettleman's biggest failures, the guy had no interpersonal skills, so good luck getting him to interview players.  

8 hours ago, Manna said:

KB made sense then and I still agree with the pick today. He did well and met expectations are a number 1 WR. I believe it was when his mother passed that it affected him emotionally and psychologically which led to his downfall. People cope differently and I think his way of coping just so happened to derail his NFL career. 

/thread

Mother's passing led to weight gain which led to jokes/criticism that he was in no state to handle.

Yall can say what you want with the revisionist history and saying it changed when his mother passed...  it didn't.  It just gave him an excuse to be more of who he already was.  KB is a piece of poo.  I never wanted him and knew he was going to be exactly what he became - a fat fuging bum.  The signs were all there at FSU, but Gettleman wanted to show everybody how much smahtah he was then everyone else.  The character issues, as well as the inability to control his weight, giving up on plays/routes, laziness, lack of work ethic - all of that poo was there before we drafted him.  It's the same reason I was adamant I didn't want Funchess when those rumors started...  and guess what?  Both of them ended up washing out in similar fashion.  And I'm not going to give KB a pass for anything.  Life happens, he was just too immature to cope with it in a healthy manner, and because of his fat lazy ass, we lost our generational talent at QB and took what could've been a 15 year Superbowl window to about a 6 year run, all in 1 play.  fug KB.  And fug Gettleman.

16 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

/thread

Mother's passing led to weight gain which led to jokes/criticism that he was in no state to handle.

That's a convenient excuse but its only part of the story.  Benjamin had weight issues in college.  He also spent significant time in juvenile detention and failed multiple grades...making him a 20 year old college freshman.  KJ has mental issues, but they date back to before his mother died.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

When people try to put Smitty on a pedestal by low key insinuating Jake was trash, they tend to overlook the reality that Jake's best statistical season was the year when Smitty broke his leg in week one and missed the whole season.

Oh I don't think Jake was trash at all. He was a damn good QB until the issue with his elbow. I don't believe Jake was as good as Cam but he was a close second for sure. My point is Steve was a beast that KB could never fathom. Devante Adams would still have been Devante Adams here as well and Kelvin Benjamin would have still been KB in Greenbay. There's a little thing called heart that makes all the difference in the end. Smitty had it, Devante has it, Cam has it and Jake had it but Kelvin Benjamin just want born with that killer instinct and determination which showed as his natural gifts carried him as far as they could but when it came time for heart to kick in there was nothing there hence his exit from the league.

5 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

That's a convenient excuse but its only part of the story.  Benjamin had weight issues in college.  He also spent significant time in juvenile detention and failed multiple grades...making him a 20 year old college freshman.  KJ has mental issues, but they date back to before his mother died.

One of favorite guys to listen to Steve logan. He loved KB and also saw the issues with him pouting in huddle and side-line. Said if he can get over that, HOF was there..... he didnt.

I do hate he lost his mother and thats the sole reason for his fall. Many others had the same time happen and didnt fall in a pool of buttermilk ranch.